So Odor makes it - how will he be used?

interloper

Much to our collective chagrin, Rougned Odor has made the team out of spring training, proving that a ML deal ultimately supersedes a grisly 3-23 spring. 

So how will this year's Maikol Franco be used before his inevitable DFA? Some options:

1. He's the starting 2B, and that's that. This is my least favorite option because it impacts playing time for Urias and Mateo at their best positions. 

2. He's strictly a bench guy. This is my favorite option because it means he doesn't play much, but it's also the option that makes the least sense because what is a guy who only plays 2B doing being a utility IF?

3. Hyde picks his spots and tries to bat him against guys he might have success against. This is the late-career Chris Davis option, and probably the most sensible. Odor gets some starts against RHP with perhaps Mateo at SS and Urias at 3B (or vice versa), pushing Gutierrez to the bench in favor of getting a lefty in the lineup. This is fine as long as it impacts Gutierrez the most, rather than Urias or Mateo. 

So, #3 is ultimately the one I think they'll try. Odor should not have a bat in his hand if there's a LHP within 30 miles of the ballpark. 

I feel bad for Richie Martin. Guy overhauls his swing (again) to much success in the spring, plays a million positions, has speed, and is healthy for once. And he gets the cut simply because we gave Odor a ML deal and he happens to strikeout left-handed instead of right-handed? Bah. 

My least favorite Elias move (at least Franco played a position of need), and I hope Odor is on as short a leash as is possible. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I feel bad for Richie Martin. Guy overhauls his swing (again) to much success in the spring, plays a million positions, has speed, and is healthy for once. And he gets the cut simply because we gave Odor a ML deal and he happens to strikeout left-handed instead of right-handed? Bah. 

My least favorite Elias move (at least Franco played a position of need), and I hope Odor is on as short a leash as is possible. 

I feel bad for him too but I think Richie will get his day in the sun once again this summer.  Not too worried about him.  

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think Martin got cut not because of Odor but because he's not a very good MLB player.  Agree that I'd prefer him to Odor, but that's like saying I'd prefer to be poked in the eye rather than kicked in the goods.

• Haha 2

For Opening Day and some of April thanks to the lockout, Hyde may have a 5-man bench.    Earl Weaver might almost recognize the game being played.

In Weaver on Strategy he talked about how he liked starting his best gloves, and seeing in the middle innings if he needed Crowley/Ayala or defense.    

OAA's rate stats say last year Odor was very good at 2B and Urias was very very bad.    Stewart and McKenna should have some chances to sharpen their pinch hitting skills as middle innings leads may be few.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

We have to drop 2 players by early man off the regular roster.  Let’s hope he continues to look terrible and is one of those players.

Chances are the team will continue to go with 14 pitchers going forward, so it’s 2 offensive players that go bye bye.

Nope.   Max 13 pitchers allowed on the roster after May 2.   That's the rule.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Odor will be at risk of being DFA'd all year maybe as soon as May 1st when the roster cuts back. 

Sooner than that. Gotta think the odds are better than 50/50 that the O's will make a waiver claim before Opening Day as other teams set their rosters and he could be the corresponding move.

42 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Sooner than that. Gotta think the odds are better than 50/50 that the O's will make a waiver claim before Opening Day as other teams set their rosters and he could be the corresponding move.

The O's haven't been making waiver claims or any other moves for weeks now--why do you think they will start now?  

@interloperI agree with the likely scenarios, and the probable outcome you cited. Probably some mix of 2/3. It appears Mateo’s hand is not going to keep him out long, if at all.

I said at the time of his signing, I thought he’d play around 4 times a week based on match ups. I was wrong about his versatility, as I thought he’d help at 3B and give Kelvin some days off. It appears that is not going to happen.

Urias, Mateo and Gutierrez need to play the majority of games to get a legitimate read on them. If they have good results, they become a moveable asset perhaps at trade deadline time. Westburg and Ortiz, along with Richie Martin, Vavra and maybe Jam Jones could all impact the team around that time.

Odor could be gone when they have to get the roster down to 26. Depends on how much they like Owings, I think. I also think DJ’s situation impacts Odor. Injuries could decide that before the change is necessary as well. 

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

There may be a bunch of guys coming available as teams make their final cuts. 

Right, I mean there was not much out there they wanted to claim. There will be some waiver wire stuff happening now, maybe more so when the rosters go down to 26. There are also to veteran guys who have opt outs, and I think that is a possible scenario we see for a fifth starter. Elias mentioned this specifically the other day in his press scrum, and he had a special gleam in his eye as he said it. lol