2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

Tony, I usually try to find something I can disagree with you on and I have to admit it was tough this time.  I did find one thing.  Nick Vespi has had a great year and looked good in his first Oriole appearance but #15 seems high for a pitcher with one plus pitch (slider) that he must consistently locate down to be effective.   #15 seems high.  Are you really that high on him?

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Tony, I usually try to find something I can disagree with you on and I have to admit it was tough this time.  I did find one thing.  Nick Vespi has had a great year and looked good in his first Oriole appearance but #15 seems high for a pitcher with one plus pitch (slider) that he must consistently locate down to be effective.   #15 seems high.  Are you really that high on him?

Not really. I'm just less thrilled with the guys behind him or just don't have enough info yet on the (A+/A) pitchers behind him. Honestly, the fact that he's so high says more about the depth of the system this year. Not a ton of guys taking steps forward and not a lot of new exciting breakout guys. Let's hope some of the Latin players really have great DSL and FCL seasons and the draft brings in some exciting guys.

On 4/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Tony-OH said:

Notes: Think of these rankings like an unofficial prospect rankings that will be adjusted throughout the year. To be eligible for the rankings, a player must still be considered a rookie by MLB standards and assigned to a minor league team. Players placed on injured lists are eligible once they have played in 2022. Rankings will be updated every Monday. Rankings will be expanded to 50 when FCL and DSL seasons open up.

Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (as of May 31st)  

RK Name POS PR Up/down Team INJ
1 Adley Rutschman C 1   BAL  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   Nor (AAA)  
3 D.L. Hall LHP 3   Nor (AAA)  
4 Gunnar Henderson SS/3B 4   Bow (AA)  
5 Coby Mayo 3B 5   ABN (A+)  
6 Kyle Stowers RF 6   Nor (AAA)  
7 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 8 Up Bow (AA)  
8 Cesar Prieto 2B 9 Up BOW (AA)  
9 Colton Cowser OF 7 Down ABN (A+)  
10 Kyle Bradish RHP 10   BAL  
11 Connor Norby 2B 11   ABN (A+)  
12 John Rhodes OF 12   ABN (A+)  
13 Drew Rom LHP 13   Bow (AA)  
14 Carter Baumler RHP 14   DEL (A)  
15 Nick Vespi LHP 16 Up Nor (AAA)  
16 Terrin Vavra 2B/CF 17 Up ABN (A+) Rehab
17 Hudson Haskin OF 18 Up Bow (AA)  
18 Darnell Hernaiz INF 19 Up ABN (A+)  
19 Juan De Los Santos RHP 22 Up DEL (A)  
20 Carlos Tavera RHP 23 Up ABN (A+)  
21 Mike Baumann RHP 15 Down Nor (AAA)  
22 Justin Armbruester RHP 24 Up ABN (A+)  
23 Collin Burns SS 25 Up ABN (A+)  
24 Jean Pinto RHP 21 Down ABN (A+)  
25 Joey Ortiz  SS 26 Up Bow (AA)  
26 Robert Neustrom OF 27 Up Nor (AAA)  
27 Ignacio Feliz RHP 30 Up ABN (A+)  
28 Logan Gillaspie RHP 28   BAL  
29 Zach Peek RHP 29   Bow (AA)  
30 Isaac Bellony OF UR Up Del (A-)  

Bubble Players          
  Kevin Smith LHP     Nor (AAA)  
  Zac Lowther LHP     Nor (AAA)  
  Tyler Nevin 3B/1B     BAL  
  Antonio Velez LHP     Bow (AA)  
  Donta Williams OF     ABN (A+)  
  Brandon Young RHP 20 Down Bow (AA) IL-60 day

I'm going to start quoting the current rankings so we can look back to see how they changed!

Hudson Haskin seems like a guy who could be a few spots higher maybe as high as 12 or 13.  He's having a nice season at Bowie.  Five toolish center fielder, gets on base.  What's not to like?  Could end up being everything we hoped Colton Cowser would be. 

30 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Hudson Haskin seems like a guy who could be a few spots higher maybe as high as 12 or 13.  He's having a nice season at Bowie.  Five toolish center fielder, gets on base.  What's not to like?  Could end up being everything we hoped Colton Cowser would be. 

Hopefully Colton Cowser will also end being everything we hoped Colton Cowser would be.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Well, first off he's not a five tool guy. Honestly, I'm not sure what his plus tool would be. He's got a slightly below average arm, and he's maybe an average runner. Defensively he fits in left field. His game power has been below average outside of his April start which included home runs off a position player.

After his flaming hot April, he slashed .212/.310/.353/.663 in 102 May PAs with a 7 to 23 Walk to K ratio. If you go back to April 21st after his first seven games of the season where he was killing it, he's slashed .207/.331/.333/.664 in his last 138 PAs. 

So honestly, if you take away his red hot start for the first seven games of the season, he really hasn't hit that well in AA. He's lucky really no on behind has stepped up much this season or he'd fall lower.

• Upvote 2

Tony, have you watched Prado play yet?  I got a chance to watch his last few games and came away impressed.  He didn’t light the world on fire but looks like he knows how to hit, has some legit bat speed, and looks like he has a frame to grow into.   He also looks incredibly confident at the plate.  Wondering if he has a chance to crack the top 30 sometime soon or if you still see him as a raw talent project. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Tony, have you watched Prado play yet?  I got a chance to watch his last few games and came away impressed.  He didn’t light the world on fire but looks like he knows how to hit, has some legit bat speed, and looks like he has a frame to grow into.   He also looks incredibly confident at the plate.  Wondering if he has a chance to crack the top 30 sometime soon or if you still see him as a raw talent project. 

I like Prado a bit, but I think there's a limited ceiling here. He doesn't have a ton of strength to his game and haven't really seen him drive a ball yet. I like Bellony more because Bellony has some pop, but Bellony's plate discipline needs to improve. Prado is worth keeping an eye on though if you like to look deep into the prospect scene!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:55 AM, RZNJ said:

Have you seen Vespi's numbers in AAA?  I'm usually not a believer in minor league relievers but he's been untouchable.  It's borderline criminal that he's not in the ML bullpen.

36 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Have you seen Vespi's numbers in AAA?  I'm usually not a believer in minor league relievers but he's been untouchable.  It's borderline criminal that he's not in the ML bullpen.

Nope.  I saw his only ML appearance.  Heavy reliance on his slider.   If he can locate it consistently he could be very effective.    I would be hesitant to put anyone who is not an elite (meaning elite ML) reliever in a top 10 or even a top 15 on a prospect list.     He went two innings in the one appearance and did hang a couple of sliders in the 2nd inning.   Again, it's a plus pitch.  IF he locates it he'll be very good.   The AAA guys sometimes miss the mistakes.   That's less likely in the majors.

On 4/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Tony-OH said:

Notes: Think of these rankings like an unofficial prospect rankings that will be adjusted throughout the year. To be eligible for the rankings, a player must still be considered a rookie by MLB standards and assigned to a minor league team. Players placed on injured lists are eligible once they have played in 2022. Rankings will be updated every Monday. Rankings will be expanded to 50 when FCL and DSL seasons open up.

Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (as of June 6th)  

RK Name POS PR Up/down Team INJ
1 Adley Rutschman C 1   BAL  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   Nor (AAA) IL
3 Gunnar Henderson SS/3B 4 UP Bow (AA)  
4 D.L. Hall LHP 3 DOWN Nor (AAA)  
5 Kyle Stowers RF 6 UP Nor (AAA)  
6 Coby Mayo 3B 5 DOWN ABN (A+)  
7 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 7   Bow (AA)  
8 Cesar Prieto 2B 8   BOW (AA)  
9 Colton Cowser OF 9   ABN (A+)  
10 Kyle Bradish RHP 10   BAL  
11 Connor Norby 2B 11   ABN (A+)  
12 John Rhodes OF 12   ABN (A+) IL
13 Carter Baumler RHP 14 UP DEL (A)  
14 Carlos Tavera RHP 20 UP ABN (A+)  
15 Noah Denoyer RHP UR UP Bow (AA)  
16 Drew Rom LHP 13 DOWN Bow (AA)  
17 Nick Vespi LHP 15 DOWN Nor (AAA)  
18 Terrin Vavra 2B/CF 16 DOWN ABN (A+) Rehab
19 Hudson Haskin OF 17 DOWN Bow (AA)  
20 Ignacio Feliz RHP 27 UP ABN (A+)  
21 Darnell Hernaiz INF 18 DOWN ABN (A+)  
22 Jean Pinto RHP 24 UP ABN (A+)  
23 Juan De Los Santos RHP 19 DOWN DEL (A)  
24 Mike Baumann RHP 21 DOWN Nor (AAA)  
25 Justin Armbruester RHP 22 DOWN ABN (A+)  
26 Logan Gillaspie RHP 28 UP BAL  
27 Joey Ortiz  SS 25 DOWN Bow (AA)  
28 Maverick Handley C UR UP Bow (AA)  
29 Collin Burns SS 23 DOWN ABN (A+)  
30 Ryan Watson RHP UR UP Bow (AA)  

Bubble Players          
  Zach Peek RHP 29 DOWN Bow (AA)  
  Isaac Bellony OF 30 DOWN Del (A-)  

Updated as of June 6th.

Some newcomers...

FCL and DSL playes will be eligible next week so expect some guys to drop off.

• Thanks 1