Drew Rom 2022

MurphDogg

When you get the Opening Day start for the Baysox, you get your own thread. I don't make the rules.

Rom made 7 starts and 2 piggyback 4 inning appearances last year at Bowie. I expect he will spend the first half of the season at Bowie and if pitching well, will head to Norfolk. Probably third in line for a starting spot at this point but wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Orioles rotation next year.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

When you get the Opening Day start for the Baysox, you get your own thread. I don't make the rules.

Rom made 7 starts and 2 piggyback 4 inning appearances last year at Bowie. I expect he will spend the first half of the season at Bowie and if pitching well, will head to Norfolk. Probably third in line for a starting spot at this point but wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Orioles rotation next year.

He's got Rodriguez, Bradish, and Hall ahead of him on the prospect chain. 

I would expect him to be in the mix for a rotation spot to open next season if this year goes well for him.  If he could find a way to add 2-3 MPH to his fastball that would be huge. 

I’m very interested to see his path this year. He’s a little overlooked because he’s arriving a step later than three guys with more flashy stuff. But Rom just seems to know how to use his stuff effectively. Didn’t see enough of him last year, but I’m excited to get more good looks this season. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I would expect him to be in the mix for a rotation spot to open next season if this year goes well for him.  If he could find a way to add 2-3 MPH to his fastball that would be huge. 

Well, has he added some weight to his frame this offseason?    

5 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I’m very interested to see his path this year. He’s a little overlooked because he’s arriving a step later than three guys with more flashy stuff. But Rom just seems to know how to use his stuff effectively. Didn’t see enough of him last year, but I’m excited to get more good looks this season. 

I really like Rom as a prospect, but there's a big jump from AA to the majors. He doesn't have the red flags like Alex Wells, but without a power profile it's tougher. 

If left-handed pitcher talent is a football field and DL Hall is one end zone and <every Oriole Elias recently called out> is the other, whose side of the 50-yard line is Drew Rom on?

After shoving in the AA playoffs, I am hoping for quicker than half a Bowie year here.    Mother's Day Grayson in Baltimore, and Rom in AAA, please.

Do we know at this hour if anyone has let Drew Rom touch a AAA baseball?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I really like Rom as a prospect, but there's a big jump from AA to the majors. He doesn't have the red flags like Alex Wells, but without a power profile it's tougher. 

No idea but after seeing other homegrown lefties, John Means and Bruce Zimmerman add velocity well into their 20's it makes me hold out some hope. 

41 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

No idea but after seeing other homegrown lefties, John Means and Bruce Zimmerman add velocity well into their 20's it makes me hold out some hope. 

Oh, definitely. And Rom has a nice profile. Just fringe on the velo.

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

He already added a bit last year.  Probably not much more coming.  

Looking at the play by play, he got in trouble in the 3rd with two singles sandwiched around two walks to start the inning.  All six hits he allowed in the game were singles.   Not the best initial outing but not really that awful.   Hopefully he’ll be sharper next outing.