Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

Cowser still leads the team in PA.  No health-related news out there either.  There are quite a few other OF prospects in Aberdeen too (Williams, Cook, Rhodes, Tavarez, Bellony - Yusniel Diaz is there now too).  Being off isn't an issue. 

Cowser (260), Mayo (253), Cook (215), Bowens (205), Norby (194), Burns (193)...

Cowser also have the most games in CF (38).  Williams (15), Cook (9)

Just now, Chaka Garcia said:

Just curious, what do you see in his approach tonight to draw that conclusion?

There is a few things. First… Aberdeen is cavernous.

Second, he made comments about how he was trying to adapt to the philosophy of the organization and he’s getting back to what got him this far. Almost immediately after he said that, he started hitting differently… driving the ball to all fields and striking out less. 

Third, and I can’t say I’ve seen all his games but I try and watch highlights when I can and he just seems to be on top of things more. I can’t say I’m anyone who can really tell everything about his swing, swing decision etc… but he’s going with pitches, hitting things with authority and that’s basically who we drafted.

I’m sure someone who is better at breaking down batted ball data will come in and say I’m wrong lol. Just going off of what I’ve personally seen and followed. 

• Upvote 4

Melewski had lots from the Aberdeen hitting coach in his blog entry on the AA promotions.

“He’s very good at working all fields well and he stays true to the kind of hitter he is,” said Cole of working with Cowser this year. “He can hit balls the other way and get those doubles down the line. We let him be himself. As the year went on he was trying to do damage while dealing with a lot of spin (breaking balls and off-speed pitches). He was seeing a lot of breaking balls this year and it was just getting out of the college realm. In college, he would see more fastballs on the corners and now in the pros he’s learning to recognize the spin and adjust to it.

“For Colton, we weren’t too worried about the stat sheet. He was hitting some balls hard early on but had some bad luck and he would hit it well and a guy was standing there. But he continued to work and in June (when he posted an OPS of .856 in 20 games) he has had some good numbers and some of those hard-hit balls were finding more holes. He just does such a great job day in and day out as a player (and) was such a fun player to be around when he was here.”

Cowser’s strikeout rate at low Single-A Delmarva last season was 15.3 and that shot up to 28.4 this season with Aberdeen. But it was getting better. After he fanned 60 times in 42 games the first two months, he struck out 19 times over 20 games in June.

“That was a focus for sure,” said Cole of Cowser making more consistent contact. “Something he set as a goal for himself to cut down on the strikeouts and he continued to work on handling the off-speed pitches and that made a difference. He just got more reps against those pitches and that helped. He knows he has the capability with two strikes to take the ball the other way.”

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like everything came together for him in the last few weeks.  From what was posted, he seems to have melded his style of hitting with the changes the organization wanted him to make.  I hope the reduced K's and better average continues.

I've watched games at Aberdeen and never thought it was that big.  is something else making it harder to hit?  Prevailing winds?  The super humidor? lol