Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Just because they're swinging at balls in the zone doesn't mean they're able to make contact.  

In regards to Westburg, I never really understood the excitement around him.  

Not sure why you didn’t.  1.075 OPS at Delmarva, .858 at Aberdeen, .752 at Bowie last year but .929 in September.   That’s pretty outstanding for his first year of pro ball, even accounting for the fact that he probably shouldn’t have started in Delmarva in the first place.  

I’m still a fan of his — but a concerned fan, at the moment.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Don't quit on Westburg.  He is 23.  He is a prospect.  The league has made an adjustment and now he has to adjust back.   I am in his corner.

I don't believe the league has made an adjustment.   If AA pitchers were good enough to execute a consistent plan in unison, they wouldn't all be in AA.   He either got homerun happy from his early season power output or has developed some other bad habit.   He might be pressing.   There could be a lot of different explanations.   I think the adjustment thing is way overblown.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think Westburg has demonstrated the talent is there.

Absolutely. Same goes for Cowser. Guys hit road bumps in development. Not everybody is going to be an immediate young stud like Henderson. Guys pop at different ages and sometimes they regress first. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Absolutely. Same goes for Cowser. Guys hit road bumps in development. Not everybody is going to be an immediate young stud like Henderson. Guys pop at different ages and sometimes they regress first. 

I wouldn’t say the same with Cowser. He had a nice start last year but all those ABs were in FCL and Delmarva. Westburg has had more sustained success at higher levels. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not sure why you didn’t.  1.075 OPS at Delmarva, .858 at Aberdeen, .752 at Bowie last year but .929 in September.   That’s pretty outstanding for his first year of pro ball, even accounting for the fact that he probably shouldn’t have started in Delmarva in the first place.  

I’m still a fan of his — but a concerned fan, at the moment.  

He hit .285 in college. 

It’s probably too much of a simplistic way to look at things but it’s hard to buy into his bat when his college OPS was .831. 

Wasn’t ever concerned about him raking at the lower levels. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He hit .285 in college. 

It’s probably too much of a simplistic way to look at things but it’s hard to buy into his bat when his college OPS was .831. 

Sorry, but your reasoning is way off.  Johnny Damon hit .283 his senior season of HS. John Rhodes hit under .300 last year in college.  On the flip side if you took the college leaders in BA and OPS you'd be disappointed in the pro careers of most.  According to your reasoning, Westburg should never have gotten out of A ball.

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don't believe the league has made an adjustment.   If AA pitchers were good enough to execute a consistent plan in unison, they wouldn't all be in AA.   He either got homerun happy from his early season power output or has developed some other bad habit.   He might be pressing.   There could be a lot of different explanations.   I think the adjustment thing is way overblown.

I thought it was said last year that in AA that the league was busting him inside with fastballs consistently and that Westburg had to adjust. Sounds like he’s still adjusting to that. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I thought it was said last year that in AA that the league was busting him inside with fastballs consistently and that Westburg had to adjust. Sounds like he’s still adjusting to that. 

Anything is possible but I suspect that's not the case.  If he had that problem last year in AA, either he adjusted or the AA pitchers forgot to do it in September last year.

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He hit .285 in college. 

The knock on him coming out of the draft was that he basically acted like he didn’t care in college.  People thought there was a lot more there with Westburg.  

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The knock on him coming out of the draft was that he basically acted like he didn’t care in college.  People thought there was a lot more there with Westburg.  

Here's one where I'd like to see the source. I have never seen a report like that one. I'd be curious to read it.

I just read the pre-draft writeup on Westburg in Baseball America and it's pretty extensive and it doesn't mention anything about not caring.  That would kind of be a big thing.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yeah, that's the type of profile that I want to draft.  The guy that acts like he doesn't care.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, that's the type of profile that I want to draft.  The guy that acts like he doesn't care.

Not caring may be a poor choice of words.  Maybe bored is better.  I remember hearing things along those lines although I can’t find any links to it right now.  I don’t think I dreamt it? Lol

• Upvote 1