Houston Roth 2022

Legend_Of_Joey

Got the start in the second game of the season for Aberdeen. Went 4 innings, with 4 hits (1 hr), 2 walks and 4 strike outs. Was missing a little but limited any real damage as the home run was a solo shot and the only run allowed. 

He piggybacked with Zack Peek last season towards the end of the year in Delmarva and had a lot of great games (including a combined 1 hitter). 

While he didn’t seem “comfortable” this game, he did get tuned in after a long first inning. Interested in seeing how he progresses this season in an…Interesting…Aberdeen rotation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went 5 innings tonight. 4 strike outs, 0 walks, 4 hits, 0 runs. Picked off a runner at first after a fielding error by the first baseman. Came out after 50 pitches for the rehabbing Rico Garcia (who?)

In 3 of his 4 starts this season, has allowed 1 run or less.

I'm excited about this. More arms that do well = Good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to update this...

Houston went 5.1 innings tonight, giving up 3 hits (2 in his final third of an inning), 2 runs (both scored after he was pulled and Ricky Ramierez walked the bases loaded, then allowed a sac fly and double), 1 walk and 6 strike outs.

He is currently 3-0 with 30 strike outs in 32 innings, with a 1.09 WHIP, with 11 walks. He does need to drop the walk rate, but he's been looking good this season except 1 game. The last two games, the runs have been scored against the reliever.

• Upvote 1

All the Aberdeen guys (including Ignacio Feliz along with the starters) are doing pretty well in kind of a way that gives me hope in May 2024 the Orioles will enjoy something better than Spenser Watkins if they have to go that deep down the talent pool by necessity of injury instead of strategic choice.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

All the Aberdeen guys (including Ignacio Feliz along with the starters) are doing pretty well in kind of a way that gives me hope in May 2024 the Orioles will enjoy something better than Spenser Watkins if they have to go that deep down the talent pool by necessity of injury instead of strategic choice.

I think in 2-4 years, you'll see a lot of the pitchers in Aberdeen currently either being on the main roster or being some good depth at Norfolk for some fresh bullpen/swingman arms.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

3 IP, 2 hits,  0 walks, 0 runs, 5 strike outs.

Seems like he is piggybacking now, but has been pretty good with it. Previous outing was 3 IP, 1 hit, 1 run, 2 walks and 7 strike outs.

When he's on, he's on. When he isn't, he isn't. Would like a little more consistency, but with his K numbers (80 in 70 innings) and his age (24), I'd like to see him go to Bowie and come out of the pen and see if his stuff plays up a bit more.