Anthony Santander 2022

OsFanSinceThe80s

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he's the same guy on offense, probably a bit worse on defense and more expensive do you keep him?

As opposed to what?  Trading him, or DFAing him?   No way I’d do the latter.   My answer on trading him is pretty much what I always say - what is the return?  I don’t think Santander is indispensable, but I’d want a pretty good package to dispense with him.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure why you are deciding to slam Mountcastle but whatever, I guess you haven't hit your quote of Mountcastle shots for the day.

I'll go ahead and repeat myself.

Santander's 2022 looks a lot like his 2020.  His 2023 might very well look like his 2021.

He regressed last year, why should we believe he won't regress again?

How come he couldn't build off his success in 2020?

You brought up the comparison to Mountcastle, lol. I was providing a counterpoint.

It is very possible, perhaps even likely, that Santander will regress. I do think if you are going to use OBP against him it is worth considering his recent success. For a player with only 1000 career ABs before this season, I don't think you should ignore the most recent 500 while about to enter his prime years.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As opposed to what?  Trading him, or DFAing him?   No way I’d do the latter.   My answer on trading him is pretty much what I always say - what is the return?  I don’t think Santander is indispensable, but I’d want a pretty good package to dispense with him.  

It would theoretically be a non-tender not a DFA.

I think he has excess value of what he'll make next year so a trade would be the sensible choice of non-tendering him.

I'd rather keep firing the kids out there.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It would theoretically be a non-tender not a DFA.

I think he has excess value of what he'll make next year so a trade would be the sensible choice of non-tendering him.

I'd rather keep firing the kids out there.

Yes, I should have said non-tender.  I don’t think the O’s should do that, or trade him for some token return.  I’d want a nice return.  

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure this off-season we will hear how banged up Hays was.

100%    We just won't hear any now.     Austin Hays at less than his best should be passing into a caliber of player that can't get on the field for the team.      His day to day could get interesting the next stretch.

I was surprised looking it up just now his OPS+ is "only" down 106 to 103 since last year.    The humidor and wall are maybe making his surface stats look a little worse than they actually are.

4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

He sure hasn’t been the same since returning from the IL with the wrist injury, when prior to that he had looked pretty good.

He was never on the IL.  He missed 5 of 6 games during August 1-7.   The wrist issues started with an HBP on July 4.   

He may have lingering physical issues, but his lack of selectivity has been a problem as the year has gone on too. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He was never on the IL.  He missed 5 of 6 games during August 1-7.   The wrist issues started with an HBP on July 4.   

He may have lingering physical issues, but his lack of selectivity has been a problem as the year has gone on too. 

Thx, good catch, but it may have affected his play longer than the time he was out. 

Plate discipline has definitely been a problem.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Thx, good catch, but it may have affected his play longer than the time he was out. 

I definitely did not mean to imply otherwise.   Arguably, he should have been put on the IL and given the wrist more time to heal fully.   But we don’t really know.

• 3 weeks later...

I would hope the O's keep Santander.  He is in his prime right now.  He will make about $7 mill plus or minus next year.  He's a power presence in the middle of the lineup.  The O's would have to sign someone for $15 mill/yr to replace him.  Don't spend money where you don't have to.  Maybe by 2024, Beavers, Fabian and Kjerstad will be ready.  For now, the O's need all the hitting they can get.

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s no way in hell that we can trade this guy. Even if he’s primarily a DH. This isn’t a fluke year, this is a guy that has put it all together. 

His offensive output is definitely not a fluke, it’s just the first year he has played a full season.  Last year I posted Santander’s stats from a 162 game stretch (2019-2021). He had 41 doubles, 34 homers, 103 RBI, and .260/.299/.487.  He’s a legit 30 homer guy. Also, he will only be 28 next year, so no reason to think his bat is going to slow down. Hopefully, he can maintain or continue to improve his walk rate, as he is only approaching 1,800 career PAs. One of the great Rule-5 pickups.