The LF wall tracker

OsEatAlEast

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I find these comments ridiculous.  The Orioles did not change the dimensions to make the games more exciting.   They did it because the Orioles were losing significantly more runs to their opponents than they were gaining via cheap homers, and they were having a hard time attracting FA pitchers.   So far this year the O’s have lost more homers than their opponents, but this is a long term play, not something to be judged in a month.   

What proof is there that the team was having a hard time attracting FA pitchers due to the park? My recollection is that the difficulty attracting FA pitchers stemmed from Angelos' policy of not signing pitchers to longer than four year deals and his infamous scrutiny of their physicals. What FA pitchers has Elias even attempted to sign, other than Lyles? I'd be shocked to learn that the O's had the best offer on the table for a big-name pitcher and he walked away because of the park.

As far as reducing the number of home runs allowed, would that effect not even out and impact both home and visiting teams equally over the long term? How would the new wall provide any significant in-game advantage just for the O's? Maybe if they went the route of the old Yankees teams and tried to stock the line-up with mostly LHH, I guess. In general though, I wouldn't expect there to be any W/L impact from the park dimensions. 

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you aren't willing to offer competitive contracts you don't get coveted pitchers.

So far the only rumor I've heard about the wall in left impacting a free agent was Correa.

I don't recall any pitcher citing the left field wall as the reason they didn't sign with Baltimore.

First of all, I completely agree that $$$ is by far the most important factor in attracting FAs.   And I argued for years that pitchers shouldn’t care, because the dimensions were the same for their opponents as they were for them.   But Elias clearly thought it did matter.  And we’ll see.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First of all, I completely agree that $$$ is by far the most important factor in attracting FAs.   And I argued for years that pitchers shouldn’t care, because the dimensions were the same for their opponents as they were for them.   But Elias clearly thought it did matter.  And we’ll see.  

We don't know that Elias clearly thought it did matter.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I find these comments ridiculous.  The Orioles did not change the dimensions to make the games more exciting.   They did it because the Orioles were losing significantly more runs to their opponents than they were gaining via cheap homers, and they were having a hard time attracting FA pitchers.   So far this year the O’s have lost more homers than their opponents, but this is a long term play, not something to be judged in a month.   

To me its not that they moved the fences back. I am fine with that. I just think they way way over did it and it is incredible sort sighted 5 year plan instead of thinking 10-20 plus years down the road. Was more of a we can't get the power righties in our division out so lets make it extremely hard for them to hit homers

8 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

To me its not that they moved the fences back. I am fine with that. I just think they way way over did it and it is incredible sort sighted 5 year plan instead of thinking 10-20 plus years down the road. Was more of a we can't get the power righties in our division out so lets make it extremely hard for them to hit homers

Personally, I also think they went a bit too far.  But like I’ve said multiple times, ask me in August.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, he couid have been lying when he said it.  But why lie about that?

Because:

1. It obfuscates the actual reason the wall was moved (whatever that reason was).
  2. It moves the blame away from ownership.
  3. It indicates to fans that he's trying to bring in pitching.

He could have reasons.

I just don't ever recall anything getting leaked that pointed out the wall in left specifically as a reason a pitcher didn't sign. 

I would think that if it was actual concern that at some point it would have. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because:

1. It obfuscates the actual reason the wall was moved (whatever that reason was).
  2. It moves the blame away from ownership.
  3. It indicates to fans that he's trying to bring in pitching.

He could have reasons.

I just don't ever recall anything getting leaked that pointed out the wall in left specifically as a reason a pitcher didn't sign. 

I would think that if it was actual concern that at some point it would have. 

Sounds pretty tin foil hat to me.   What’s the “real reason?”   You seem to admit you don’t know one.  I don’t think they moved it just for the hell of it.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sounds pretty tin foil hat to me.   What’s the “real reason?”   You seem to admit you don’t know one.  I don’t think they moved it just for the hell of it.  

You think that he might want to deflect blame from ownership is "tin foil"?

As for the reason, I didn't include any speculation because that wasn't on topic.

I think the main reason he had the wall moved is simple, he thinks it will lead to a situation in which he can gain an increase in home field advantage.  Specifically left handed power, which he has been drafting.

But it doesn't do him any good to say that.  On the other hand blaming the wall for the team not signing quality free agent pitchers might do him some good.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think that he might want to deflect blame from ownership is "tin foil"?

As for the reason, I didn't include any speculation because that wasn't on topic.

I think the main reason he had the wall moved is simple, he thinks it will lead to a situation in which he can gain an increase in home field advantage.  Specifically left handed power, which he has been drafting.

But it doesn't do him any good to say that.  On the other hand blaming the wall for the team not signing quality free agent pitchers might do him some good.

Well, I certainly hope the reason was to improve home field advantage.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well, I certainly hope the reason was to improve home field advantage.  

Oh so it isn't tin foil now.

Good to know.

Like I've said, I don't recall one hint of a rumor that the left field wall was a deal breaker for a pitcher signing here.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Hasn't worked so far.  There's been a decided advantage to the O's opponents on home runs lost to the Wall.

You can't start building the roster to take advantage of the wall until the wall has already been built and the foundation settles in a bit.

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Yankees can still sign pitchers playing in a bandbox. The team is the dealbreaker. 

If the O's owners wanted to sign free agent pitchers and offered the most money, maybe w/ a 10% premium for being a losing team, you would hear free agent pitchers wax poetic about how wonderful the Baltimore metro area is.

• Upvote 1