The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

I'm pretty burnt out from all this over the weekend. Just hoping for a resolution and holding out hope.

But keep in mind, even if we did "come to terms" yesterday verbally, they still have to hammer out the contract. Theres probably alot that goes into a 9/215 or 10/230 contract.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't slander the staff and call them names. They are doing what they think is fair in their minds. Try to be more understanding of this. Plus you don't have a lot of posts to be trying to throw your weight around. But let's get the thread back on track where it should be.

What does that have to do with anything?? What's good for the goose should be good for the gander!! It shouldn't matter if you have 1 post or 50,000 posts, rules are rules and everybody should follow them, IMO.

So is there any confirmation Tex was at the game? Viv and Bulldog are saying he was there in Bisciotti's suite, along with Cal, Gary Williams, and Phelps.

Is any of this true?

Also wouldn't be interesting if down the road Cal and Bisciotti bought the O's, but can Bisciotti own a MLB club if he owns the Ravens?

Cal was there with him!? :clap: :clap3:

In the end it is going to come down to this question:

Does Tex want to take less money and less years so he can win quicker, or does he want to take the most money and have long term security, but at the expense of winning right away?

The Red Sox aren't going 9 or 10 years for 25 million a season and neither are we, but we are offering long term security for Tex. He'll still be making over 15 million when he's in his late 30's even if he suffers a career ending injury. You can't say that about the Sux offer. Also the way Boston treats players, they use them and then throw them away. They've done it to Pedro, Schilling, want to do it to Lowell and eventually Ortiz. The Orioles don't do that to their players. They even let Palmeiro have a graceful (as could be) exit.

I say he chooses the Orioles for those very reasons.

How do we know that our WOW offer is the highest on the table? Thats what I'm worried about. Boras takes it to Boston and they match it. Very possible IMO.

Guest Sailor Jerry
Actually, belkast never said Tex would be at the game and stated that his source was unclear about that.

Yes, you're right. But he also was essentially a cheerleader for the info, saying how it's indicative of how much the Orioles were in everything.

If Tex's agent was someone other than Scott Boras, then I'd completely be on board with you here. I'd be a lot more worried about him signing with Boston for less money, or even with the Angels for less money. But Boras is his agent. I can't, for the life of me, remember a player taking less money for anything with Boras as their agent. It's just my opinion and all, but I don't see Teixeira signing for any reason other than "Who offered me the most money?"

It's the same reason why I don't think people should be underestimating D.C. in all of this.

My definition of less money is total overall money. If the Red Sox offer a 6 year/$150 million contract [average $25 mil a year] versus an Orioles 9-10 year/$180-$200 million contract [average $20 mil a year], and Tex goes with the Red Sox, can we really fault him that much?

I agree about Boras. He's all about getting the most money for his clients (I don't blame him, btw). But I think there are definitely other factors at hand to take into account. Now how valuable those factors are...well, they vary from person to person.

So is there any confirmation Tex was at the game? Viv and Bulldog are saying he was there in Bisciotti's suite, along with Cal, Gary Williams, and Phelps.

Is any of this true?

Also wouldn't be interesting if down the road Cal and Bisciotti bought the O's, but can Bisciotti own a MLB club if he owns the Ravens?

GREAT!! Cal got to talk to him I guess.

It's also my impression that if you ask them like "Hey, has anyone heard anything", it's not a real big deal. It's when you start pleading directly or repeatedly for info that it becomes a problem.

It's not. Nobody received an infraction or was banned for asking. I just asked as we've done in the past to not publicly solicit insiders for info. As unreadable as things got here last night, it's even worse when things devolve into, "Belkast, what are you hearing?!?!" "Bigbird, did your guy say anything?!?!"

Somehow folks think because it got a little out of hand here last night that the rules here have changed.

Calling out moderators in public serves no good purpose and completely detracts from the quality and intelligence of the conversations that take place here just as much as pleading for inside information.

If you think moderators have missed an abusive post, then please use the "report an abusive post" tool. If you think me, Tony, Greg, or another member of this staff is unfair or wrong, contact us directly. I don't care if it's a post from a newbie or one of these mythical "chosen few" who either seem to think they're above the rules or have convinced others they're above the rules.

With the exception of a very, very small minority, the consensus is that we have a pretty good track record of being fair, reasonable, and resolving disputes fairly.

I'm 100% sure he was at the Hilton yesterday, Hank's people I'm sure are 100% sure he was at the Ravens game yesterday, and Viv and Bulldog reported it as well.

That's alot of smoke for there not to be a fire.

Now, what that means? Who knows? If the O's didn't meet with him during this time we should just close up shop. Not that I think that's the case, but it's a large stretch to believe we didn't meet with him this week and present him with our top offer IMO.

Viv and Bulldog are reporting he was in the same suite with Bisciotti, Cal and Phelps.

I hope Cal sold him on the team. :clap::clap3:

I'm 100% sure he was at the Hilton yesterday, Hank's people I'm sure are 100% sure he was at the Ravens game yesterday, and Viv and Bulldog reported it as well.

That's alot of smoke for there not to be a fire.

Now, what that means? Who knows? If the O's didn't meet with him during this time we should just close up shop. Not that I think that's the case, but it's a large stretch to believe we didn't meet with him this week and present him with our top offer IMO.

Belkast did say that Tex and PGA did meet at some point this weekend.

Yes, you're right. But he also was essentially a cheerleader for the info, saying how it's indicative of how much the Orioles were in everything.

Well, we did apparently meet with him and have put a huge offer on the table.

If that is true, it is reason for optimism.

BTW, how about people just stick to the topic instead of trying to slam the mods, insiders or local media?

Some of the people on this board have been pathetic these last few days.

My definition of less money is total overall money. If the Red Sox offer a 6 year/$150 million contract [average $25 mil a year] versus an Orioles 9-10 year/$180-$200 million contract [average $20 mil a year], and Tex goes with the Red Sox, can we really fault him that much?

I agree about Boras. He's all about getting the most money for his clients (I don't blame him, btw). But I think there are definitely other factors at hand to take into account. Now how valuable those factors are...well, they vary from person to person.

Well, I'll give you that one. If he took 6 years because it was more money yearly then I could see that, especially if he really wants to play in Boston. It's been my impression that the overall years involved in the contract was going to be a big determining factor in this for Teixeira as well, but that's also opinion and speculation.

So, really, we should just offer 10/250 and be done with it. ;)

Is any of this true?

Huizenga owned the Marlins and Dolphins at one point.

Viv and Bulldog are reporting he was in the same suite with Bisciotti, Cal and Phelps.

I hope Cal sold him on the team. :clap::clap3:

Hopefully Cal didn't bring up that little episode of how Sr. was fired and Cal nearly left the Orioles via free agency! :eektf:

I keed, I keed. Having Cal talk to Tex could do nothing but good.

Of course, if Tex, Cal, Bisciotti, and Phelps were in the suite, how did the cameras not pan on them? And how did Roch not know this? And how come Scooby and the gang haven't solved the case yet? :scratchchinhmm:

Archived