The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

Again. this is IMOP the turning point for the O's and Angelos' legacy. If and it is a big if, the Red Sox have matched our offer, then up the offer. Tex is now the line in concrete (he must be signed by the O's). The Yankees made sure that they got their man and the O's must do the same.

Look, Boras is playing his agent game, but, I would not put it past Boston going for Tex like this because Lowell is old and injured, Ortiz is old and injured and Youkilis plays way over his head (and I love him as a player). Plus, the Yankees are right back in the mix with their signings - so the Sox have a lot of pressure to upgrade their offense and keep their defensive prowess - Tex fits both objectives.

I for one, am so tired about Camden Yards being "Fenway South". If Tex signs with Boston, it will be so much worse. The proud tradition of the O's is reborn with a Tex signing - no matter what. The O's must prove to the Yankees and Boston that we will go toe to toe in order to win. The Rays model will not be enough - when those young players are ready to move on they will. The O's have to show that we are players with Yankees and Red Sox. Start with the Tex signing.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, Dan doesn't work for espn anymore. He never said the red sox offered that... he said that he believes that it will go in excess of $200 million. Mentioned the Angels offer but didn't say the sox offered anything.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but did he mention the O's in any substance besides the obligatory "and the Orioles are rumored to be in the mix."

Any new developments? Anything earth shattering?

Or does everyone still have no idea whats going on? :)

Nothing. Today has been pretty depressing. I just don't see why this is dragging out, regardless of the resolution. Belkast is still confident, haven't heard from Sonny or Baseball7117 today, and Bigbird hasn't heard anything to lead him to believe we will get Tex. I think that summarizes the day's (non)events

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but did he mention the O's in any substance besides the obligatory "and the Orioles are rumored to be in the mix."

No but he really didn't mention any other team besides the Angels, bringing up the fact that 8/160 was reported over the weekend. He did say that he heard the previous evening (He works for NBC on football night in America) that the offers could excede $200 million, and did mention that 8/200 figure. Not sure who would know anything about it at NBC, collinsworth, costas, etc. are all football guys.

I disagree with Buster Olney's analysis, and the general argument that the O's are too far from competing to justify a big Tex contract. The O's need for Tex is clearly analogous to Bill and Ted's need for Eddie Van Halen to join thier band:

Bill: While I agree that in time our band will be most triumphant. The truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar.

Ted: Yes, Bill. But, I do not believe we will get Eddie Van Halen until we have a triumphant video.

Bill: Ted, it's pointless to have a triumphant video before we even have descent instruments.

Ted: Well, how can we have descent instruments when we don't really even know how to play?

Bill: That is why we need Eddie Van Halen!

Ted: And, that is why we need a triumphant video!

Any new developments? Anything earth shattering?

Or does everyone still have no idea whats going on? :)

You've missed tons!

Tex was at the Ravens game yesterday....

Umm...Tex was NOT at the Ravens game yesterday.

Tex WAS at the Ravens game yesterday!

Tex was NOT at the Ravens game yesterday.

Boston offered 200 million over 8 years. JTrea jumped off the Bay Bridge.

Boston did NOT offer 200 million. Poor JTrea.

Insiders questioned. Moderators questioned. Sources questioned. Oh, and Hank was highlighted in Roch's blog.

Other than that...not much going on! :D

I disagree with Buster Olney's analysis, and the general argument that the O's are too far from competing to justify a big Tex contract. The O's need for Tex is clearly analogous to Bill and Ted's need for Eddie Van Halen to join thier band:

Bill: While I agree that in time our band will be most triumphant. The truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar.

Ted: Yes, Bill. But, I do not believe we will get Eddie Van Halen until we have a triumphant video.

Bill: Ted, it's pointless to have a triumphant video before we even have descent instruments.

Ted: Well, how can we have descent instruments when we don't really even know how to play?

Bill: That is why we need Eddie Van Halen!

Ted: And, that is why we need a triumphant video!

Very nice.

Man this is simply getting crazy. There are offices all over the country having huge chunks of productivity taken from them just by this Tex Saga. The truth is we are obviously still in the mix. No one has blown the other offers out of the water and where Tex ends up is a unknown. If Tex really wants to come home we look to have a good chance, we are apparently willing to go to a level that I thought was not possible with PA as an owner. But Tex is using us or the Sux to drive the price up for the team he would ultimately like to go to. I hope it ends soon. I did not think we would get him so I am prepared for us not getting him, but it sure would help the rebuilding project if we did.

And somewhere you'll find Boras upset.

I think that Boras has really had a hard time getting the deal that he wants from the ball club that he wants. The market isn't what he was expecting it would be, therefor the delay (and the attempt to get more major-market clubs involved).

Wasn't Boras quoted as saying Tex was insisting on a full "No Trade Clause"?

And hasn't it been pointed out the the Sawx don't do NTCs?

I thought I heard this as well. From my understanding the Sox do not do NTC's and I haven't found anything yet that has refuted it.

Archived