Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It would be a wise forward thinking move to sign Adley and Gunnar to early contract extensions while trying to buyout two to three free agent years. 

Problem is will ownership be up for it and will the legal troubles between the Angelos family members potentially limit number of high dollar transactions Elias can make. 

Isn't Gunnar a Boras client?  I can already see how this plays out.  O's/Angelos family asks for big discount for extension, Boras tells Gunnar there are no discounts.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Isn't Gunnar a Boras client?  I can already see how this plays out.  O's/Angelos family asks for big discount for extension, Boras tells Gunnar there are no discounts.

Yeah on the broadcast Garceau was wondering out loud why it was that Gunnar fell to the second round. He didn't answer his own question and Palmer was uncharacteristically silent. Guess they don't read the Hangout, or didn't care to bring up the recent post around here that GH was asking first-round (overslot) money (and was a high-school bat).

On 9/1/2022 at 9:19 PM, scarey1999 said:

Ha, just have to be lucky and get the right ones from unopened product. Or have enough money to buy them outright now after someone’s pulled them 😂😂.

Crazy how much his cards have skyrocketed in value this year. I was very fortunate that I loaded up on his 2019 stuff long ago. 

I get catalogs regularly from 2 big auction houses (Heritage and Goldin) with cards that I enjoy seeing in a catalog, but will never buy.

Let me start by saying I both love and hate the 1971 black border Topps set.  My first year collecting cards, but they were simply impossible to keep in decent shape (for a 7-year old kid, anyway).  So I have the full 1971 set (completed in the 1980s).  I then saw the 1971 Thurman Munson (#5, gutter common first series) just sold via Heritage Auction for $200,000 in mint condition (not sure if it was 9, 9.5, or 10).  I have the card, but it probably rates a 2-3 by today's condition standards, which makes it worth perhaps $20-50 (I'm guessing).  

The point is that while I really enjoyed collecting at one time, hyper focus on the extreme right end of the condition curve has turned me off. 

• Upvote 1

Back to Gunnar, though...tonight's game was another blast and the most fun I've had at a game since 2016 for sure.  Why?:

1. Gunnar has looked good defensively at 3 positions.  He's maintained the wait-and-hit style he showed in the minors (even at the cost of increased Ks), and he can fly.  For his ABs, like Adley's, I won't miss a pitch fast forwarding (something I do for almost every Odor AB when watching on TV--I'm much less frustrated seeing his ABs run by in approximately 10 seconds than 2 minutes).

2. Pennant race baseball is tense and satisfying with every win and every moment of a really good game like tonight.  I know I don't have to tell the older folks this.

3. This race is starting to feel like 1974 in terms of the Orioles ability to go on a streak and pick up a lot of ground in a hurry.  The 1974 Orioles were 63-65 on August 28, 8 games behind the Red Sox.  They won 10 straight (5 shutouts, none with more than 2 runs allowed) and trailed the Sox by just 1 game on the way to a hotly-contested race...with the Yankees that they won by 2 games.  Replace Red Sox with Yankees, Yankees with Rays, and I'm not ready to give up hope the 2022 O's can make a run at the division.

4. A woman in a Vogt jersey in the section next to us (31, row 1) had a foul ball come back to her and reached up to make the catch (with a glove).  She was absolutely shocked she caught the ball.  About 4 innings later, another ball came right to her and she dropped it (boos on what was a much easier grab).

5. Getting back to Adley.  Everything about that bases-loaded walk was great.  He walked up towards the plate to pinch hit for Hays, who appeared genuinely surprised he was getting pulled (it looked like Hays thought Adley had come out of the dugout to bat for Mateo).  Great PA to draw the walk.  My wife, Maureen said "I'm on the phone for a walk" before hand and was deleriously happy with herself after the go-ahead RBI.  That wouldn't normally matter, but on the way back to the car she asked if Saturday was a night game also and said we should try to go again.  She's the right girl for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

Back to Gunnar, though...tonight's game was another blast and the most fun I've had at a game since 2016 for sure.  Why?:

1. Gunnar has looked good defensively at 3 positions.  He's maintained the wait-and-hit style he showed in the minors (even at the cost of increased Ks), and he can fly.  For his ABs, like Adley's, I won't miss a pitch fast forwarding (something I do for almost every Odor AB when watching on TV--I'm much less frustrated seeing his ABs run by in approximately 10 seconds than 2 minutes).

2. Pennant race baseball is tense and satisfying with every win and every moment of a really good game like tonight.  I know I don't have to tell the older folks this.

3. This race is starting to feel like 1974 in terms of the Orioles ability to go on a streak and pick up a lot of ground in a hurry.  The 1974 Orioles were 63-65 on August 28, 8 games behind the Red Sox.  They won 10 straight (5 shutouts, none with more than 2 runs allowed) and trailed the Sox by just 1 game on the way to a hotly-contested race...with the Yankees that they won by 2 games.  Replace Red Sox with Yankees, Yankees with Rays, and I'm not ready to give up hope the 2022 O's can make a run at the division.

4. A woman in a Vogt jersey in the section next to us (31, row 1) had a foul ball come back to her and reached up to make the catch (with a glove).  She was absolutely shocked she caught the ball.  About 4 innings later, another ball came right to her and she dropped it (boos on what was a much easier grab).

5. Getting back to Adley.  Everything about that bases-loaded walk was great.  He walked up towards the plate to pinch hit for Hays, who appeared genuinely surprised he was getting pulled (it looked like Hays thought Adley had come out of the dugout to bat for Mateo).  Great PA to draw the walk.  My wife, Maureen said "I'm on the phone for a walk" before hand and was deleriously happy with herself after the go-ahead RBI.  That wouldn't normally matter, but on the way back to the car she asked if Saturday was a night game also and said we should try to go again.  She's the right girl for me.

I watched the As TV broadcast of the game.  Their crew (Duane Kuiper and Dallas Braden - who took over after Ray Fosse passed away) said the women in the Voigt jersey was Voigt's wife. 

On a separate note, they said Camden Yards is the best ball park they get to visit and love the park and the city skyline.  They also said they have one of the best press boxes, which they appreciate.   They heaped a lot of praise on Henderson, Rutschman, and the entire youth movement and success of the Orioles this year. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I watched the As TV broadcast of the game.  Their crew (Duane Kuiper and Dallas Braden - who took over after Ray Fosse passed away) said the women in the Voigt jersey was Voigt's wife. 

On a separate note, they said Camden Yards is the best ball park they get to visit and love the park and the city skyline.  They also said they have one of the best press boxes, which they appreciate.   They heaped a lot of praise on Henderson, Rutschman, and the entire youth movement and success of the Orioles this year. 

Pretty cool twist.  And it makes sense that anyone wearing a Stephen Vogt jersey must be a Vogt family member.  There was a large A's fan contingent in that section, so I assume that's where all the comp seats were for players.

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

And then Gunnar reminds Boras which one of the two is the employee.

I hate this narrative that folks have with Boras.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And then Gunnar reminds Boras which one of the two is the employee.

I hate this narrative that folks have with Boras.  

Boras does a good job of convincing his clients to take the path he wants. He works for them technically but he steers the ship with his knowledge and convincing arguments. He's in control make no mistake.

38 minutes ago, interloper said:

Boras does a good job of convincing his clients to take the path he wants. He works for them technically but he steers the ship with his knowledge and convincing arguments. He's in control make no mistake.

exactly. he does his job which is take the emotion out of it for his client.  It's business...unfortunately for us; good for Gunnar.  We have some good bank-busting talent here or on the way - exciting for now but some tough decisions later.  I'll wait until later and enjoy the now.

59 minutes ago, interloper said:

Or, maybe the players who hire Boras are predisposed to want the type of negotiation posture that Boras frequently takes.  It’s not like they don’t know his reputation. 

• Upvote 1