Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’d say there’s a small chance Henderson breaks camp with the team next year. Bigger chance Elias holds him down until he gains an extra year of service time. No chance he comes up this year despite what many of you are hoping for. 

Does he promote him when:

1. He gets the extra year
  2. He misses the projected Super 2 deadline
  3. When Elias thinks he no longer has a chance to finish in the top 2 of the ROY

Certainly in the Actions Speak Louder Than Words department, September will be a show me month.

You'd have to deprive the 2023 Orioles of a good chunk of one of their best players to guarantee Club control of that 2029.    Maybe just figure something out setting 2029 at a ~$20mm option.

Ongoing good play by Vavra in Mancini's place could give Elias cover.     I don't think the juice is out of the Rougned Odor orange until the team has a losing week.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Certainly in the Actions Speak Louder Than Words department, September will be a show me month.

You'd have to deprive the 2023 Orioles of a good chunk of one of their best players to guarantee Club control of that 2029.    Maybe just figure something out setting 2029 at a ~$20mm option.

Ongoing good play by Vavra in Mancini's place could give Elias cover.     I don't think the juice is out of the Rougned Odor orange until the team has a losing week.

I don't think Elias gives one Witt about cover.

• Haha 1

Szymborski's Fangraphs chat today is about 50% Orioles.    The most detailed Gunnar bit...

12:42
Romorr: With just 93 games above A+ for Gunnar, are you comfortable with the service time assetments? For me, I can kind of see both sides to this.

12:43
Avatar Dan Szymborski: Here’s what it comes down to for me

1. What is he going to do against AAA pitchers that he isn’t already to be more ready?
  2. Is he better than who he would replace?

Avatar Dan Szymborski: If the answer is shrug and yes, then it’s service time

12:46
Avatar Dan Szymborski: He’s a 21-year-old who can play shortstop and a .939 OPS at AAA. What exact skill will he develop AAA now outside of simply beating the pitchers up even more?

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I mean, are we trying to convince ourselves that service time manipulation isn't a thing? Of course it's a thing.

If you aren't in Baltimore it doesn't seem to be happening all that much.

Look at all the names that started the season in the majors this year.

Other teams seem to like the idea of additional draft picks.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And he mentions service time immediately after.

Yes, BUT IT'S NOT THE ONLY THING IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. Most organizations also value things like playing at Triple-A, and being healthy

And I know you have convinced yourself that the O's made up an injury to Adley to not have him start the year on the OD roster, and Scott Boras joined in on the conspiracy, but my guess is the Orioles also like draft picks. 

I don't think they'll call him up now, because they would lose the potential draft pick if he loses rookie eligibility. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you aren't in Baltimore it doesn't seem to be happening all that much.

Look at all the names that started the season in the majors this year.

Other teams seem to like the idea of additional draft picks.

I texted probably 5 people this morning when the fake out post went up b/c I was super pumped about the fake news. It would be very logical to either: 

Cut Odor, move Vavra to 2nd base, DH Santander and promote Stowers (most likely).

or...

Cut Odor, move Urias to 2nd base, promote Henderson for 3B. 

I'll never understand the fascination with Odor and if they weren't winning with him, I'd be pretty bitter because I think I know things more than Mike Elias does. But I'm going to try and enjoy a competitive team and not find stuff to bitch about. There will always be something.