Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

I liked the last AB the best. Pitcher made a perfect pitch on strike two, low and on the outside corner. If he had swung it probably would have been a weak grounder. Really smart decision to take that pitch. He worked the count to 3-2, fouled off a tough pitch, then ambushed a cutter on the inside half for the base hit. It was just one AB but hopefully a sign of what's to come. 

• Upvote 4

From Zachary Silver's Article:

And then, he was handed the MVP belt as well as the floor of the visitors' clubhouse at Progressive Field.

“They asked me to say a word,” Henderson said, “and I just told them, ‘Thank you for letting me come out here and do this.’”

How can you not love this kid?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I learned a ton watching him today.  The kid is fearless and carries himself like a big leaguer.   You can see all the tools are there.   Honestly, I was even impressed by him spoiling an 0-2 pitch and have it carry almost all the way to the LF fence, and by some of the pitches he spat on.  It’s only one game, but he looks like the complete package.  

It is the same way he carried himself in Norfolk. The numbers were obviously there, but watching him in Norfolk he appeared better than everyone else when you watched him. The bat speed, pitch recognition, and arm strength were unmatched by the other players on the team. He looked like a major leaguer playing against AAA competition in how he carried himself on the field. I think he’s going to be great. It was fun to watch him debut tonight. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Favorite Oriole player in a year or two? The Orioles are going to make this difficult! the Orioles have so many good young players who seem very likable. Gunnar bobble head night is going to be big. 

I can already see it, the helmet half on during a massive swing.  

6 hours ago, Sydnor said:

It is the same way he carried himself in Norfolk. The numbers were obviously there, but watching him in Norfolk he appeared better than everyone else when you watched him. The bat speed, pitch recognition, and arm strength were unmatched by the other players on the team. He looked like a major leaguer playing against AAA competition in how he carried himself on the field. I think he’s going to be great. It was fun to watch him debut tonight. 

I’m jelly being in Greece and unable to watch highlights until the wake-up’s.  But what a great surprise today!  😃  Home tomorrow night!

I know it was just one game and all. But he looks like he’s going to be the type of player that makes people want to pay to see him play. He appears to have it all as far as talent, plus the right blend of humility and confidence. Looks like we may have ourselves a true future superstar, cornerstone type guy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

Is there somewhere to see Henderson’s bat speed from the game last night? Maybe it’s in my head (and probably is), but his hands/bat looked very fast, especially on the single he ripped in his last AB. 

I was thinking the same thing with the single.  That ball rocketed off the bat with such violence it looked like a classic Cody Bellinger swing where you wonder how the ball doesn't end up out of the stadium.  

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gotta bat Gunnar #2 today. This moment isn’t too big for him. Sandwich him between Mullins and Adley. Eventually Gunnar should be #3. I would not even mind if Hyde did that today.  

If you are going to put him in the top third of the order, I'd rather 3rd. I like Adley in the 2-hole and like that Adley as a switch hitter at least breaks up the lefties a bit (even if he's struggled a bit swinging from the right-side). 

Mullins (CF), Adley (C), Henderson (3B), Santander (DH), Mountcastle (1B), Stowers (RF), Hays (LF), Urias (2B), Mateo (SS)

I don't care for Urias in the 4-hole, but wouldn't mind him higher than I put him above. I also don't think we'll see Henderson that high in the order yet, but maybe next year.