The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

So I take it you would be happy with one good season, a playoff run say, as opposed to sustained success?

That's what you seem to be advocating. Signing Tex is another quick fix - the same thing the O's have been trying for the last 11 seasons.

How is signing Tex a quick fix?

We'll have control of him for 7 years. He'll be a cornerstone of the organization. An instant infusion of talent. He fits into our long terms plans without a doubt.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I take it you would be happy with one good season, a playoff run say, as opposed to sustained success?

That's what you seem to be advocating. Signing Tex is another quick fix - the same thing the O's have been trying for the last 11 seasons.

If you think signing Tex is a quick fix with a 8-10 year contract you obviously didn't get what I was trying to say...

The odds are much better than going dollar for dollar against the Red Sox revenue machine in a FA Cold War.

Based on the higher draft picks we'll get losing year after year?

All loyalties aside, they have a heck of a system up there. There is a great mix of talent - pitching and all positions. It's just impressive, a good model for other franchises. Trying to get an edge on an Ivy League economics guy like Theo E. will be tough - but it makes beating them that much better.

We gotta beat out Boston in this FA Cold War.

If you think signing Tex is a quick fix with a 8-10 year contract you obviously didn't get what I was trying to say...

By the time everyone else(the young core) is hitting their primes Tex will be 35. Tex is inherently a "win now" move. The best value portion of his contract is the beginning.

Based on the higher draft picks we'll get losing year after year?

All loyalties aside, they have a heck of a system up there. There is a great mix of talent - pitching and all positions. It's just impressive, a good model for other franchises. Trying to get an edge on an Ivy League economics guy like Theo E. will be tough - but it makes beating them that much better.

We gotta beat out Boston in this FA Cold War.

The only way to beat Boston is to get better talent than they have and the only way to do that is acquire as much talent as possible and keep the talent you have. By not getting Tex you lose the talent you have and you don't acquire the talent you need.

Ortiz is getting old, they lost Manny. If we took some of those payroll dollars saved from not signing Teix and put it into International signings and the draft we will get significantly more bang for our buck. We aren't going to beat the Red Sox by outspending them for particular players... The only way we will be able to consistently contend is to out do them in player development.

I think we can, if we can fill the yard up again and get MASN rolling there is no reason to think we cant keep up with Rsox. Yankees no, I was in europe a few years ago and couldnt help but notice that ther were no baseball or softball fiels to speak of yet kids had on New youk yankee hats. BARF

The draft and international signings will take 4-5 years to bear fruit.

Really? That is devastating news if we going to have to wait another couple of years for Wieters. What a bummer if we have to wait another 4 years for Matusz to be productive. Some players will take a while, many will be a lot quicker.

No - sigining Tex could bring credibility back to this franchise/owner. We will show other quality FA and current players that we are making a serious effort to compete, and to compete soon. Signing Tex to a huge deal would not cripple us financially (although I agree that he doesn't deserve a-rod money). Just because we sign Tex doesn't mean we can't keep building our farm system.

I think signing Tex would have a huge POSITIVE domino affect.

By the time everyone else(the young core) is hitting their primes Tex will be 35. Tex is inherently a "win now" move. The best value portion of his contract is the beginning.

Tex will have 5-6 prime years IMO. Wieters and Jones will provide enough sub-prime production and Markakis will hit his prime in the next few years to give us enough offense. And Roberts at the top of the order should provide enough runs for another 4 years or so.

There is a 4-5 year window to compete with Tex.

I think we can, if we can fill the yard up again and get MASN rolling there is no reason to think we cant keep up with Rsox. Yankees no, I was in europe a few years ago and couldnt help but notice that ther were no baseball or softball fiels to speak of yet kids had on New youk yankee hats. BARF

Unfortunately I disagree... The Orioles revenue potential is significantly less than the Red Sox revenue potential. Market size *does* have a significant impact.

Really? That is devastating news if we going to have to wait another couple of years for Wieters. What a bummer if we have to wait another 4 years for Matusz to be productive. Some players will take a while, many will be a lot quicker.

Lets trade Wieters for an Ace pitcher! Then we can really make a run and build a team around Tex!

Tex signing with us is huge now as well as the future. If he doesn't sign I think BRob will be traded as well as Nick.

Belkast I thought you said Tex was going to sign.

By the way are you Angelos's driver?

I'm Angelos' 7-iron. I rarely get out of the bag. :new_wave:

250-300 million is A-Rod money.

The Orioles will have to pay 230 or less to land Tex.

I agree with you here. I do think that ~$200M is more than Tex deserves in a vacuum, but we're not in one, we have to overpay. And I don't consider that "ARod money", although it certainly is a massive commitment.

I also don't think he's considered a quick fix. What he would do, IMO, is speed up the rebuild by 1-2 years. We could possibly contend in 2010 if a couple prospects develop slightly faster than expected and/or we sign a SP or two, and definitely by 2011.

Archived