The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Back to Baseball........Tex signing with us is huge now as well as the future. If he doesn't sign I think BRob will be traded as well as Nick. Not saying Nick goes this year by any means but I'm not sure we could view him as a long term Oriole. Everyone is paying attention to what happens with Tex. We really need to make a statement to our fans,players, as well as the rest of the baseball world.

To go a step further...If the O's sign Tex it will make a the rest of the FA market do a series of panic moves...

The Tex deal hurts LAA in 2 ways. No Tex at 1st and no Lowell avaialbe to play 3rd with no Tex in Boston.

The Tex deal hurts Bos by forcing them to concede to Texas for Bucholz for Teagarden or Salty to make the splash Tex was supposed to.

The Tex deal hurts the Yankee's by driving Manny's price through the roof by making the Angels along with NYY and LAD valid destinations with a legitimate need.

The Tex to the O's deal may in the long run help Boras the most by upping Manny's market all the while forcing Boston to resign Tek.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Nick is wanting to see results. That's my opinion.

Plus, Roberts said on the Scott and Anita Show yesterday that Nick texted him on Sunday to ask if Tex was at the Ravens game. If anybody thinks that Kakes and BRob are not HIGHLY interested in the outcome of the Tex saga, they are clearly mistaken!

First off, thanks for all the inside insight from those who have the contacts! Each and every thread has been informative and entertaining to say the least. I do feel that the key days in this "who signs Tex" process are Thursday or Monday. I would think Thursday could be important because Boras would not want this news lost in the weekend sports news flurry. Monday could be key because it is after all, Christmas week, and if the signing is held off too long, everyone else is focusing on family and the holiday. Boras seems to like to have maximum press impact. Bottom line is, like many here, I hope Tex signs with the O's and for the sake of our medical bills paying for stress and tension, I hope it is soon!! :)

Back to Baseball........Tex signing with us is huge now as well as the future. If he doesn't sign I think BRob will be traded as well as Nick. Not saying Nick goes this year by any means but I'm not sure we could view him as a long term Oriole. Everyone is paying attention to what happens with Tex. We really need to make a statement to our fans,players, as well as the rest of the baseball world.

I'm mystified as to why I'm on here obsessively; this is a slow developing car crash! I would bet PA made a final offer well below Boston etc that squares with his view of the world. Everything else is marshmallows.

Do you think a Tex signing will decrease the $'s necessary to sign Nick long-term? Or is it that Nick may not sign long-term if Tex doesn't sign?

If I were Nick, I would want to see the organization make a statement that they have turned the corner and are ready to win.

Why do you think they'd try to trade Nick? Isn't Nick, Adam, and Matt a good nucleus?

If the O's don't show progress (aka Tex) I think it would increase the chances that Nick would test Free Agency rather than sign an extension. If so then O's best option would be to trade him prior to FA ala Bedard.

That said, regardless of what happens with Tex, I still think the O's get Nick to agree to an extension. Too many logical reasons on both sides for it not to happen.

:rolleyes:

If we sign Tex, I think we're much more likely to ink BRob to an extension. That solves two vacancies right there. Obviously, SS and 3B are holes following 2009 (or 2010 if we pick up Mora's option), but I'm semi-confident that one of Rowell/Snyder will pan out before then.

Mackus, I love ya, but if you don't think Tex signing with the Red Sux is a dagger... well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Izturis signed for 2 years, so there won't be a gaping, Brandon Fahey/Alex Cintron sized whole of suck at short in 2010, either, well, hopefully not, anyway.

If I were Nick, I would want to see the organization make a statement that they have turned the corner and are ready to win.

If I were Nick, I would want to see that too. Not to mention, if I were Nick, I would be pretty pumped imagining the kind of pitches I will be getting to hit, knowing Texeira is right behind me in the lineup.

It would be a pyschological blow for fans if he doesn't sign here after everything that has gone on to this point. I have no concern whatsoever about Nick's status based on Teix. I don't see them connected in any way shape or form. I do agree about BRob possibly being traded if Teix doesn't sign, but I do not necessarily see that as a bad thing. With Teix or without Teix we still need to bring a quantity of quality to the organization. BRob may just be worth more to the franchise for what he can bring back than he is with his production.

Archived