Trezza: the talent wave is coming

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Question... once Adley, GRod and Hall are promoted (with Bradish already there), what impact will that have on the ranking of the farm system?

Should still be pretty highly ranked. Will have #1 pick, Henderson, Mayo, Westburg, Cowser. But that’s very hitter focused. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Should still be pretty highly ranked. Will have #1 pick, Henderson, Mayo, Westburg, Cowser. But that’s very hitter focused. 

Great point. I'm hoping that Elias focuses on pitching in this draft, perhaps even college pitching. 

7 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Great point. I'm hoping that Elias focuses on pitching in this draft, perhaps even college pitching. 

It won’t be with the #1 pick. From what I’ve seen a lot of the college pitchers are recovering from TJ surgery. Maybe it’s a buy low opportunity but not with much expectations. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The actual goal isn't to have a high ranking farm system.

Agreed... but a consistent ranking across multiple sites at the very least provides evidence for the state of an organization's farm system. If the O's have a bunch of top 100 prospects in a system that consistently ranks top 5, it likely means the system is in great shape. But the inverse of that statement likely means the system is in poor shape.   

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The actual goal isn't to have a high ranking farm system.

True.  However, strong MiLB contributions help the MLB team to reach the actual goal (even for the large market teams).  But you knew that already.

27 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

True.  However, strong MiLB contributions help the MLB team to reach the actual goal (even for the large market teams).  But you knew that already.

Sure but it seems to me that some fans are so fixated on farm rankings that they have lost sight of the actual goal.

At some points the rankings will fluctuate.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Well this is assuming we aren't being overrated, which is certainly possible.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Question... once Adley, GRod and Hall are promoted (with Bradish already there), what impact will that have on the ranking of the farm system?

A big impact.   Put it this way: Fangraphs valued our farm system at $322 mm before the season.  Rutschman, Rodriguez, Hall and Bradish collectively were valued at $216 mm.  Roughly two-thirds the whole value of our system.  Some of that will be replenished after the draft, but it won’t nearly make up for losing those four.   

In the bigger picture, however, the whole point of having a strong farm system is to deliver talent to the major league team.   So, I’m more focused on how much those four players can contribute to the Orioles than how moving them up impacts the farm rankings.   

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You wet blanket.

Lol..I don’t think they are being overrated but I also agree with CoC.  Everyone wants to act like a top farm system means we are winning long term.  Ask the Phillies about that.  

There is a lot to be hopeful about and I have been one of the few on here who wants them to spend now and look to win now and long term because I do believe in the talent.

But the constant worrying about farm system rankings has reached a very high annoyance level.  It means nothing other than we have talent and some of that talent is either trying to stay healthy or just perform at a rate worthy of a promotion.  

• Upvote 1