Who All Is Going on 5/16?

Orioles Jim

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is June 1 still the day to game the arbitration clock?  

There is no specific day.  The cutoff won’t be known for three years and based on history could be anywhere from May 8 to June 15.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not sure what info Connolly has that makes this any more likely than 5/16. Isn't it just his opinion? 

This is his job.  He very well could have a source that he is drawing from.  You aren't grouping him with the likes of Raul Ramos are you?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is his job.  He very well could have a source that he is drawing from.  You aren't grouping him with the likes of Raul Ramos are you?

No, only you would start a thread on a tweet from a hack like Raul Ramos. I don't care for Connolly but he's not a hack. I just don't think he has any real source on this. He might. Just my opinion.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’ve now read Connolly’s piece.   It’s pretty clear that he’s just voicing his opinion, not drawing from anything he’s heard.   Here’s an excerpt:

“The Orioles want to make sure he is fully healthy. Rutschman missed spring training with a right triceps strain and is basically in the second week of his personal spring training game schedule. They’ve eased him back, with Rutschman playing in 12 games since April 26. He spent four games at High-A Aberdeen, three at Double-A Bowie and five so far with the Tides.

“He throws right-handed, so an obvious test of that triceps is to get behind the plate a bunch and let him throw routinely, back to the pitcher and to the bases in game action, while making sure he is physically ready for all the demands he’s about to encounter.

“There’s a third box, too. But it’s smaller than the others. And that’s to make sure Rutschman has a little offensive success at Triple A before that phone rings. He was 11-for-25 (.440) with five doubles, four walks and one strikeout in seven games between Aberdeen and Bowie. But so far at Triple A, he’s 3-for-16 (.188) with no extra-base hits and four strikeouts, including three on Wednesday.

“No one’s worried. Rutschman hit .312 with an .895 OPS in 43 games for the Tides last year. But the Orioles may want him to work on his timing a little more at Triple-A before he makes his big-league debut.

“Consider all that, and it seems unlikely Rutschman plays Monday against the Yankees.”

(The “first box” was catching a game with Grayson and the “second box” was making sure he’s healthy.)

https://theathletic.com/3307301/2022/05/12/top-prospect-adley-rutschman-will-be-joining-the-orioles-soon-but-when-exactly-is-soon/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve now read Connolly’s piece.   It’s pretty clear that he’s just voicing his opinion, not drawing from anything he’s heard.   Here’s an excerpt:

“The Orioles want to make sure he is fully healthy. Rutschman missed spring training with a right triceps strain and is basically in the second week of his personal spring training game schedule. They’ve eased him back, with Rutschman playing in 12 games since April 26. He spent four games at High-A Aberdeen, three at Double-A Bowie and five so far with the Tides.

“He throws right-handed, so an obvious test of that triceps is to get behind the plate a bunch and let him throw routinely, back to the pitcher and to the bases in game action, while making sure he is physically ready for all the demands he’s about to encounter.

“There’s a third box, too. But it’s smaller than the others. And that’s to make sure Rutschman has a little offensive success at Triple A before that phone rings. He was 11-for-25 (.440) with five doubles, four walks and one strikeout in seven games between Aberdeen and Bowie. But so far at Triple A, he’s 3-for-16 (.188) with no extra-base hits and four strikeouts, including three on Wednesday.

“No one’s worried. Rutschman hit .312 with an .895 OPS in 43 games for the Tides last year. But the Orioles may want him to work on his timing a little more at Triple-A before he makes his big-league debut.

“Consider all that, and it seems unlikely Rutschman plays Monday against the Yankees.”

(The “first box” was catching a game with Grayson and the “second box” was making sure he’s healthy.)

https://theathletic.com/3307301/2022/05/12/top-prospect-adley-rutschman-will-be-joining-the-orioles-soon-but-when-exactly-is-soon/

@Can_of_cornSo you give Frobby a (much-deserved) thanks emoji, but you attack me when I say the same thing regarding this being Dan's opinion. It's clear you didn't read the article, yet you go after me anyway.

Just now, interloper said:

@Can_of_cornSo you give Frobby a (much-deserved) thanks emoji, but you attack me when I say the same thing regarding this being Dan's opinion. It's clear you didn't read the article, yet you go after me anyway.

I didn't go after you.

I made a joke about your, to me, irrational reaction to a harmless piece of baseball gossip.

Frobby provided value with his post.

I don't read the Athletic.  I've made it clear that I don't support their business model and won't give them any of my money.  I'm also not the type to steal their content.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't go after you.

I made a joke about your, to me, irrational reaction to a harmless piece of baseball gossip.

I don't read the Athletic.  I've made it clear that I don't support their business model and won't give them any of my money.  I'm also not the type to steal their content.

That's fine. I just wish I didn't have to provide a mountain of evidence every time I have an opinion to avoid you sniping at me. And how is what I said irrational? It's as lightweight as it gets: "Not sure what info Connolly has that makes this any more likely than 5/16. Isn't it just his opinion? "

It's in the form a question for crying out loud. Get off my ass. 

Just now, interloper said:

That's fine. I just wish I didn't have to provide a mountain of evidence every time I have an opinion to avoid you sniping at me. And how is what I said irrational? It's as lightweight as it gets: "Not sure what info Connolly has that makes this any more likely than 5/16. Isn't it just his opinion? "

It's in the form a question for crying out loud. Get off my ass. 

Your Connolly comment was rational. 

I was talking about your string of comments in the Cano thread.  Which I think you even admitted were a bit over the top.  (Sorry if I got your actual verbiage incorrect).

Now that is settled, is anything going to happen on the 16th?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Your Connolly comment was rational. 

I was talking about your string of comments in the Cano thread.  Which I think you even admitted were a bit over the top.  (Sorry if I got your actual verbiage incorrect).

Now that is settled, is anything going to happen on the 16th?

Alright fair enough. I stand by what I said in the Cano thread, I just harped on it too aggressively. I own that part, sure. 

Re: 5/16, I still think it's the most likely day. I don't necessarily think Adley's performance factors in very much at all. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see it delayed a bit. I also don't really buy the reasoning that they would want him on a Friday for the ticket sales. Those tickets sales will be there regardless of it he debuts Monday or Friday, as the majority of people who want to see Adley will wait until Friday anyway. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't go after you.

I think my quote of a couple of paragraphs from a much longer article is within the bounds of “fair use” and board rules.   Otherwise I wouldn’t have posted it.