Richie Martin could be promoted any day now

wildcard

Its the proverbial reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Martin isn't good.  He has no future here.  But could he step in and be as bad as Odor/Owings?  Maybe?  Is it worth finding out?  I would rather just find a better player, but obviously that's easier said than done.

• Upvote 1

I find it weird that people don't think Martin would be a perfectly adequate utility IF/OF 26th man type. 

I expect Lakins to be optioned today, a 60-day IL move, and Martin to be on the roster for today's game. 🤷‍♂️

It could be Bannon instead, which is fine, but why not have someone who can also play SS and the OF?

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I find it weird that people don't think Martin would be a perfectly adequate utility IF/OF 26th man type. 

I expect Lakins to be optioned today, a 60-day IL move, and Martin to be on the roster for today's game. 🤷‍♂️

It could be Bannon instead, which is fine, but why not have someone who can also play SS and the OF?

Why do you find it weird that people think that?  What has he ever done to think otherwise?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do you find it weird that people think that?  What has he ever done to think otherwise?

I just think he fits the mold of a utility player - he can pinch run off the bench, he can play average to potentially above average defense at infield and outfield positions, he can bunt. He's got UTIL skills. I'm not saying he's a big future piece or whatever, or even a regular starter at all. I'm only saying he's a logical fit as a utility player given his skillset. 

I think for all the handwringing we do about washed out older guys playing over younger guys, it for some reason doesn't apply to Martin. And I don't really get that. He's got good AAA numbers this year, he's got a newly reworked swing/stance, and he's still young. Not to mention we still have a lot of time before someone like Henderson or Westburg makes a real play at the 26-man roster. So... I say let Richie occupy a spot on the team. We also could use a guy with McKenna's pinch-runner skillset if they want to keep McKenna at AAA. And it's a bonus that Martin can do that while also being able to play the infield. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Fine, sure.  But the question is 'does it really matter?'  

Odor has been Jokey Smurf OPS against righties.  

Owings' only claim to fame offensively has been his 'lofty' OBP of .310.

Martin has a hot streak in AAA and 1st round pedigree going for him.  

The "plan" for IF this year was to see if any of these guys proved anything.  Mateo looks like the only one of the opening day roster to stick.  The rest can be churned in the meat grinder.  At the end of the day it's still scrapple with a chance of no gristle.  

He’s not really a young guy.  He’s already 27.  He has already watched his best/peak years pass him by (well 27 is historically the peak season)

He does what you said but doesn’t do any of it exceptionally well and the idea that he can bunt is pretty meaningless, especially nowadays.

Mateo is a UTI player.  Martin isn’t close to him and it’s not like Mateo is some world beater.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not really a young guy.  He’s already 27.  He has already watched his best/peak years pass him by (well 27 is historically the peak season)

He does what you said but doesn’t do any of it exceptionally well and the idea that he can hunt is pretty meaningless, especially nowadays.

Mateo is a UTI player.  Martin isn’t close to him and it’s not like Mateo is some world beater.

Look man. All I'm really saying is Martin is a logical fit as a UTIL IF/OF on this current Orioles team if they feel they need a guy. Do I personally think he's better than Owings? Yes. Do I understand if people don't agree based on each player's track record? Yes. 

But the O's are hurting for a guy who can do the things I mentioned, and they NEED a bench player right now with guys banged up. 

I'm not delusional about RIchie Martin, trust me. The fact that we're having this conversation means there's a significant problem with upper-farm SS talent. Martin was the first SS Elias acquired to help address this deficiency. Unfortunately, we're still talking about him. But I still think he's a reasonable 26th man type of player. A poor man's Mateo. And IMO, a more dynamic Chris Owings. 

We can disagree! It's fine. Just know I am not talking about Martin as if he's some prospect. He's just a guy, but he's very versatile, and the O's could use a guy like that on the bench right now. 

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I fully agree that Martin was not ready for the majors offensive or defensively in 2019 as he tried to make the jump from AA.   But that was two plus seasons ago.    I think he should get another shot at the majors.  He is probably better than Odor.

That’s basically a choice between hoping that (1) a 28-year old player who had some prior success in the majors can rebound after several consecutive bad seasons, vs. (2) a 27-year old player who has never had success in the majors in previous opportunities will be successful this time around.   Both those choices are bad.   

I’ll say this though: Odor’s worst OPS+ for a season was 63.   He’s at 77 now.  Martin’s career OPS+ is 53.   So I’m not ready to conclude Martin is probably better based on the limited sample he’s put up in AAA this year.   He’ll have to do it for longer.   Also worth noting, Odor has been a little better the last couple of weeks (.744 OPS in his last 12 games).  So for both reasons, I’d just wait it out a bit.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s basically a choice between hoping that (1) a 28-year old player who had some prior success in the majors can rebound after several consecutive bad seasons, vs. (2) a 27-year old player who has never had success in the majors in previous opportunities will be successful this time around.   Both those choices are bad.   

I’ll say this though: Odor’s worst OPS+ for a season was 63.   He’s at 77 now.  Martin’s career OPS+ is 53.   So I’m not ready to conclude Martin is probably better based on the limited sample he’s put up in AAA this year.   He’ll have to do it for longer.   Also worth noting, Odor has been a little better the last couple of weeks (.744 OPS in his last 12 games).  So for both reasons, I’d just wait it out a bit.  

For me this has nothing to do with Odor, though. Obviously for wildcard he feels otherwise. 

IMO Martin gets on this team due to injuries or when the O's decide they've seen enough of Owings. Owings and Martin are the same player, only one is younger and faster and more dynamic defensively. I would understand them giving Owings more time given each player's ML track record. 

But just saying - those are the two routes that Martin finds his way on the team IMO. The O's won't replace Odor's lefty bat with Martin's RH bat as long as Odor is healthy and playing at his current adequate-for-the-time-being level. 

I maintain Martin is on the roster today, with Lakins optioned. It's a 1-man bench consisting of Bemboom right now. You can't play that way. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Look man. All I'm really saying is Martin is a logical fit as a UTIL IF/OF on this current Orioles team if they feel they need a guy. Do I personally think he's better than Owings? Yes. Do I understand if people don't agree based on each player's track record? Yes. 

But the O's are hurting for a guy who can do the things I mentioned, and they NEED a bench player right now with guys banged up. 

I'm not delusional about RIchie Martin, trust me. The fact that we're having this conversation means there's a significant problem with upper-farm SS talent. Martin was the first SS Elias acquired to help address this deficiency. Unfortunately, we're still talking about him. But I still think he's a reasonable 26th man type of player. A poor man's Mateo. And IMO, a more dynamic Chris Owings. 

We can disagree! It's fine. Just know I am not talking about Martin as if he's some prospect. He's just a guy, but he's very versatile, and the O's could use a guy like that on the bench right now. 

It’s not about Owings. It’s about a 40 man spot. Guys like Martin are used for depth. You never know when or if you will need them. He is playing a ton at AAA. If you get rid of Owings and then 3 weeks later Elias wants to pick someone off waivers now he is releasing another player off the 40. Now it’s entirely possible if Martin were to get called up and then released he could be re signed. 

A 26th man on a non contender has no organizational value.  That will change once they start competing. 

6 hours ago, interloper said:

Welp, I was wrong! Lakins was indeed optioned, but they added RHP Reyes instead of Martin or Bannon. So a 2nd straight game with a 1-man bench unless Urias is available. That seems wild to me, but makes some sense with it being a bullpen game. 

Does anyone anticipate what roster moves might be made for Tigers series?

2 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Does anyone anticipate what roster moves might be made for Tigers series?

Kind of a tough one. They could probably use another pitcher since damn near everyone pitched today. I would say Baumann but he also just pitched 3 innings today. Lyles going tomorrow helps. Reyes is fresh but he's an emergency option only probably.

Not a lot of guys left with options now that Lakins and Fry have been sent down. Diplan is on the taxi squad but you need to create a 26man spot. Watkins DFA? Grayson lines up fairly well for Watkins' next turn in the rotation.

Sounds like they'll get Lopez and Urias back. Odor, Mountcastle, and Hays all banged up though. 

• 2 weeks later...