O's were contenders!!

wildcard

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Has he fleeced other GMs in trades?   Yes, a broken down Bundy for Bradish.

Has he found talent deep in amateur drafts, and if so was that a result of his evaluations?  Well maybe not deep but paying overslot for Mayo looks pretty good right now.  That was not a mainstream move.

Has he acquired an impressive collection of talent from other teams' scrap heaps?  Yes, Mateo, Perez, Lopez, Krehbeil, Baker, Urias.

I think there are several smart things he has done:

1.  He evaluated what a mid market Baltimore team had to do to win and he has the patience and aggressiveness to pursue that goal.  Many GM start down the path of rebuilding and cave in to outside pressures along the way.  He has stuck to his focus and goals.

2) He brought Holt and Sig with him.  Holt has unify the pitching development from the majors through the minors.  And there are many stories of pitcher improvement  along the way from Means to Bradish to Tyler Wells to Bautista.  Sig has built the analytics dept from 1 to 15 or 20.  Many of the changes that have been made come from the research and analysis done in his shop.  And the coaches has been hire to translate and teach the players.  Pretty innovative stuff on the coaches hiring.

Elias says the big change in the analytics over the past five year as revolutionized player evaluation and development.  He has hired the people to change the O's organization.   That is a long way from where the O's were when he was hired.

I doubt if Peter had anything to do with his hiring.  I think it was the Sons.

Could anyone else have done it.  Probably but not to many would want to take on a complete rebuild for a low revenue team in the AL East.  Its got to be one of the hardest jobs for an MLB GM.

Is Elias perfect?  No but he  seems to be headed in the right direction over the next few year.  We should be happy about that.

Yes, a "broken down" Bundy that finished 9th in CY voting in his first year with the Angels.

Saving money earlier and going overslot late is most certainly a mainstream move for GMs. 

As for scrap heap guys, Mike Yastrzemski has put up 8.3 rWAR to date, and he was picked off of Elias' scrap heap.

As for your #1- Well, they aren't winning are they?  How can you say he has evaluated what they have to do when his theories haven't been proven correct on the field?  As for #2, the department was larger than one when Dan was here, folks quit or were let go.  Folks like to perpetuate the myth that the department was non-existent when they were more accurately just behind.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Has he fleeced other GMs in trades?   Yes, a broken down Bundy for Bradish.

Has he found talent deep in amateur drafts, and if so was that a result of his evaluations?  Well maybe not deep but paying overslot for Mayo looks pretty good right now.  That was not a mainstream move.

Has he acquired an impressive collection of talent from other teams' scrap heaps?  Yes, Mateo, Perez, Lopez, Krehbeil, Baker, Urias.

I think there are several smart things he has done:

1.  He evaluated what a mid market Baltimore team had to do to win and he has the patience and aggressiveness to pursue that goal.  Many GM start down the path of rebuilding and cave in to outside pressures along the way.  He has stuck to his focus and goals.

2) He brought Holt and Sig with him.  Holt has unify the pitching development from the majors through the minors.  And there are many stories of pitcher improvement  along the way from Means to Bradish to Tyler Wells to Bautista.  Sig has built the analytics dept from 1 to 15 or 20.  Many of the changes that have been made come from the research and analysis done in his shop.  And the coaches has been hire to translate and teach the players.  Pretty innovative stuff on the coaches hiring.

Elias says the big change in the analytics over the past five year as revolutionized player evaluation and development.  He has hired the people to change the O's organization.   That is a long way from where the O's were when he was hired.

I doubt if Peter had anything to do with his hiring.  I think it was the Sons.

Could anyone else have done it.  Probably but not to many would want to take on a complete rebuild for a low revenue team in the AL East.  Its got to be one of the hardest jobs for an MLB GM.

Is Elias perfect?  No but he  seems to be headed in the right direction over the next few year.  We should be happy about that.

Remember the Orioles could not find a GM last time because the Angelos clan would not let them make changes Ended up with a guy out of baseball for many years in Danny Boy 

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yes I did.  And I am ignoring April for a lot of the players and looking at May because I think its a better assessment of their value.

Gotcha. It’s always a brilliant idea to focus on a tiny sample of stats to make a determination that we want to be true instead of looking at the big picture to see what someone has done over a longer period of time. Hope it works out. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Here’s the Tigers lineup last night:

Obviously the Tigers aren’t contenders either.

Getting Rutschman in the lineup will be a huge upgrade.   Getting Mountcastle and Hays back obviously would make a big difference   

Right, so what's the point of showing the Tiger's OPSs in this post? I only said it demonstrates we are not close to being a contender. 

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, a "broken down" Bundy that finished 9th in CY voting in his first year with the Angels.

Saving money earlier and going overslot late is most certainly a mainstream move for GMs. 

As for scrap heap guys, Mike Yastrzemski has put up 8.3 rWAR to date, and he was picked off of Elias' scrap heap.

As for your #1- Well, they aren't winning are they?  How can you say he has evaluated what they have to do when his theories haven't been proven correct on the field?  As for #2, the department was larger than one when Dan was here, folks quit or were let go.  Folks like to perpetuate the myth that the department was non-existent when they were more accurately just behind.

Or more accurately under resourced, manned and with a lack of influence while Buck was in charge of the MLB team.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Right, so what's the point of showing the Tiger's OPSs in this post? I only said it demonstrates we are not close to being a contender. 

Really just pointing out what a lame matchup that was.   Nothing meant to contradict your post.  

Talk about being excited for a game and then looking at the lineup and being let down. That was a AAA lineup. Pitiful. If guys are hurt then make roster moves. 

DD was a master at working the roster daily. Elias doesn’t make the day to day moves for us to win/compete. Does he want to?  

There’s no excuse for that lineup last night. Pitiful GM’ing and I’m an Elias supporter. Diaz or McKenna should’ve been up. I won’t even say 4A because Bannon and Nevin don’t even meet that standard. 

• Upvote 1

Elias just chooses to lose and doesn’t manage the roster to win games on a day to day basis. Even with non prospects. This team could easily be a lot of fun to watch this summer if we would just call up AR and GR, Sprinkle in some Hall spot starts, and pull off a little trade for a 3B stop gap. 

Instead Elias is running this org like a simulated season that only lets you sell and has man made dates for when players are “ready” to be called up. 

Can’t we build the future without having to completely tank for another darn season?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias just chooses to lose and doesn’t manage the roster to win games on a day to day basis. Even with non prospects. This team could easily be a lot of fun to watch this summer if we would just call up AR and GR, Sprinkle in some Hall spot starts, and pull off a little trade for a 3B stop gap. 

Instead Elias is running this org like a simulated season that only lets you sell and has man made dates for when players are “ready” to be called up. 

Can’t we build the future without having to completely tank for another darn season?

He wants a shot at another #1 pick.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He wants a shot at another #1 pick.

You’ve been saying it, I’m finally jumping on the bandwagon. You can build for the future with completely tanking. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. 

I can deal with the losing at this point, but I can’t deal with the tanking anymore. Enough is enough at some point. There’s no strategy to support the MLB. 162 games is a long season. It’s time to see some growth from the GM. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Urias and Nevin are the stop gap 3B.  Urias is in there today.  And Adley and Grayson will be in the majors this month IMO.  

The bigger problem is missing Mountcastle for 10 days.

Elias is not tanking.