MacPhail: Savior or not?

TJ Wrangler

Of course, if Belkast's source is right and PA has taken over the negotiations, maybe this is why.

I'm not saying it's true or untrue. Just saying it's not surprising. I've made clear where I stand on the Teix saga. It's not a move I would make, likely - and AM may agree with that - but it's a move I can rationalize and even get behind.

I think it's exciting. Provided it doesn't hamstring the other O's rebuild projects, I'm okay with it.

I'm pretty sure that AM's "refusal" to up the ante isn't the issue. Frankly, PA could make him up the ante. Seems to me to be largely strategic, a way of ensuring that Teix doesn't use his hometown ties as a negotiating tool.

I think that's prudent, as long as OTHERS are driving up the price (otherwise, we should be ensuring that if we lose him, the Sox pay heavily).

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol...I guess thats true. I'm hearing that AM is reluctant to raise the initial offer, which is a killer considering I've been told a deal of 8/170+ should be enough to get him to come home.

I'm not doubting you, but AM has said he has flexibility with the initial offer. Perhaps AM is just waiting for what he believes is the right time to raise the offer. If we have been promised the chance to match any offer, as Belky has suggested, why bid the price up now?

If 1-2 million per season is what is going to stand in the way of AM building a contender, then he should be fired right now.

There's always a line. Otherwise, Teix would be looking at $30m a year. We just don't know where that line is currently being drawn. We have some speculation, which is helpful. It'll be interesting to see the post-mortem play out.

From what I've heard, he is more of a detriment to getting Tex than an asset.

If there's accuracy to this, it would be because MacPhail genuinely believes that, at that price, Teixeira's contract will outweigh Teixeira's contribution in the goal of building a winning team. He's certainly not trying to be a detriment to the team. (I realize that's not what you're saying.)

lol...I guess thats true. I'm hearing that AM is reluctant to raise the initial offer, which is a killer considering I've been told a deal of 8/170+ should be enough to get him to come home.

To be fair, keep in mind that if 8/170+ is enough, that is because the owners/GM's from 29 other teams including the Red Sox, Angels, Yankees, and Nationals have decided that 8/170+ is more than they're willing to spend on Teixeira.

I'm not doubting you, but AM has said he has flexibility with the initial offer. Perhaps AM is just waiting for what he believes is the right time to raise the offer. If we have been promised the chance to match any offer, as Belky has suggested, why bid the price up now?

Belkast has also said that Angelos has taken over negotiations.

There's always a line. Otherwise, Teix would be looking at $30m a year. We just don't know where that line is currently being drawn. We have some speculation, which is helpful. It'll be interesting to see the post-mortem play out.

We know about what it is going to take now...8 years for somewhere between 170-190 million...Now, this is barring some team going nuts at the last minute but right now, that is what it is looking like.

Basically, we are right there by just adding 1 year and the same money per year on top of our current offer...That puts us with Boston as the highest offer.

So, you add 1-2 million per season on top of that and I think you have a deal.

We are right there with where it needs to be...Just have to guarantee another year.

If 1-2 million per season is what is going to stand in the way of AM building a contender, then he should be fired right now.

I find this kind of thinking to be seriously flawed in that to say something like this you have to assume that the money on the table is not already extending past what he thinks makes sense. Maybe his thinking mirrored your thinking of earlier this offseason and he thought 6/132 would be the max he's comfortable with and he's already extended well past that to not allow 15-25m stand in the way of signing Teix... In other words don't you have to be assuming way too much that is unknown to think it'd be only 1-2m per season standing in his way?

If there's accuracy to this, it would be because MacPhail genuinely believes that, at that price, Teixeira's contract will outweigh Teixeira's contribution in the goal of building a winning team. He's certainly not trying to be a detriment to the team. (I realize that's not what you're saying.)

To be fair, keep in mind that if 8/170+ is enough, that is because the owners/GM's from 29 other teams including the Red Sox, Angels, Yankees, and Nationals have decided that 8/170+ is more than they're willing to spend on Teixeira.

So what? Ultimately there is always some team that believes a player is worth more money than any other team...That is why the player signs.

I think we will have our answer within a year or two, but I will say AM has sure been given a nice long honeymoon by O's fans so far. They still have a large number of holes and a total garbage pitching staff. I think the failure to trade Roberts last off season when his value was much higher will come back to haunt him. He will obviosuly bring much less now and may end up bringing back nothing, except for possibly draft picks(s).

I find this kind of thinking to be seriously flawed in that to say something like this you have to assume that the money on the table is not already extending past what he thinks makes sense. Maybe his thinking mirrored your thinking of earlier this offseason and he thought 6/132 would be the max he's comfortable with and he's already extended well past that to not allow 15-25m stand in the way of signing Teix... In other words don't you have to be assuming way too much that is unknown to think it'd be only 1-2m per season standing in his way?

When I look back on things, my answer to how much would you pay should have been...whatever they feel they can spend and still make the budget work.

That is the real correct answer...Again, everyone wants to throw their hat in the ring in assuming what the orioles are making but you have no idea...ZERO!

So, at the end of the day, it is all a guess.

If the Orioles give Tex 8/184, then I am going to assume that they will still be able to do everything in their power to compete.

When I look back on things, my answer to how much would you pay should have been...whatever they feel they can spend and still make the budget work.

EXACTLY! And if the point has been reached where it's gone past that point, you really feel like they should keep upping their bid?? That's what you seem to be saying when you say if they let $X stand in their way, MacPhail should be fired.

That is the real correct answer...Again, everyone wants to throw their hat in the ring in assuming what the orioles are making but you have no idea...ZERO!

So, at the end of the day, it is all a guess.

If the Orioles give Tex 8/184, then I am going to assume that they will still be able to do everything in their power to compete.

If it's MacPhail's choice and not forced upon him by Angelos, I agree. If MacPhail who knows baseball a hell of a lot better than Angelos ever will thinks that it makes more sense to walk away, isn't that essentially saying that he thinks that kind of outloay will prevent him from best being able to put a contender on the field?

Archived