Sunday afternoon in Fenway Park

SteveA

8 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I wonder if that's a stupid Fenway field rule or something.  Definitely didn't make sense.  🤷‍♂️

I think Wrigley has a similar rule about where the ivy meets the warning track. Some have exploited it to the defense's advantage over the years. 

5 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I think Wrigley has a similar rule about where the ivy meets the warning track. Some have exploited it to the defense's advantage over the years. 

In regards to that call... Nope, I couldn't find any Fenway-specific ground rules that cover that play.

There IS a quasi-related MLB-universal ground rule:

• A ball lodging behind or under canvas on field tarp is out of play.

Maybe the ump confused this situation with that rule because the ball got stuck under the padding? 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Cora using Houck here up six kind of reminds me of Hyde using Lopez with big leads as he's anxious about everyone else.   He won't have him backing up Hill tomorrow as he has done a couple times already.

On the other hand, Pivetta was up to 105 pitches thrown, in an insignificant game.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Anyone up in the 'pen? Sedlock's over 60 pitches. Or do you think Hydde just lets him take one for the team (esp since he's temporary call-up)?

I didn't see anyone up in the pen on that pullback shot. 

Diplan just got up as I'm typing this.

44 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Sedlock's stuff is definitely marginal for getting out ML hitters.  A lot of his pitches were 81-83, a changeup?  What is his fastball speed?

Palmer was remarking about guys in the past who were very effective with this kind of combination, based on a changeup guys couldn’t hit. 

Based on what’s going on here in the 8th, I’d say yeah it works if you can throw first-pitch strikes, but if not they just sit on that fastball and hit away. :(