Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

Personnally, I can't go into this off season without this drama on my mind. I wonder about it's affects on a number of fronts. It's hard for me to anticipate anything with any degree of positiveness as long as this Soap Opera is still on TV. But then my granddaughters call me Ole Eeyore. 

MLB you better believe does not want any financials about the team coming out. 

John looks like a guy who enjoys being a baseball owner. I can’t see someone buying into the team without being a majority partner. Maybe he can pull something off similar to what Art Modell dis with Bisciotti. John gets to keep it for 5 years and then ownership falls to someone else. Obviously Peter’s health plays into all of this. 

11 hours ago, eddie83 said:

MLB you better believe does not want any financials about the team coming out. 

John looks like a guy who enjoys being a baseball owner. I can’t see someone buying into the team without being a majority partner. Maybe he can pull something off similar to what Art Modell dis with Bisciotti. John gets to keep it for 5 years and then ownership falls to someone else. Obviously Peter’s health plays into all of this. 

Plus the Orioles don't want any financial  information to come out about MASN. I am sure the Nationals would be happy if it did.

Edited by Going Underground

12 hours ago, Too Tall said:

Personnally, I can't go into this off season without this drama on my mind. I wonder about it's affects on a number of fronts. It's hard for me to anticipate anything with any degree of positiveness as long as this Soap Opera is still on TV. But then my granddaughters call me Ole Eeyore. 

Nah, Georgia is the owner and chose John. I wouldn’t worry about it unless she passed away unexpectedly. I think we will hear that a new lease is being done and the team offered for sale soon. Hopefully a new owner with deep pockets will want it as his toy and do ever he can to make it a winner.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/bs-md-angelos-legal-family-feud-hearing-20221026-xkpayg3mkremrc7iilqx5evxgq-story.html

Wow, if you wrote this stuff in a movie people would say it was fake.  The law offices have been using Peter Angelos signature stamp for over 4 years to write checks including payroll.  Wells Fargo claims they have only become aware lately that Angelos had become ill.  I guess nobody that works for Wells Fargo reads the Hangout!.  I am just a lowly CPA.  I need to ask the lawyers here what are the ethical issues with lawyers who are well aware that the bossman hasn't been around but they have been doing financial transactions like paychecks with his stamp on it and no one questioned that this could be a problem?

On 10/12/2022 at 2:30 PM, Tony-OH said:

None of this can bode well for a team that needs to spend in order to take that next step. 

The sooner this team can be sold, the better off this organization will be barring another Angelos type buying it.

That's very unlikely to happen until Peter Angelos's death, and almost certainly will happen soon after Peter Angelos's death.

4 minutes ago, accinfo said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/bs-md-angelos-legal-family-feud-hearing-20221026-xkpayg3mkremrc7iilqx5evxgq-story.html

Wow, if you wrote this stuff in a movie people would say it was fake.  The law offices have been using Peter Angelos signature stamp for over 4 years to write checks including payroll.  Wells Fargo claims they have only become aware lately that Angelos had become ill.  I guess nobody that works for Wells Fargo reads the Hangout!.  I am just a lowly CPA.  I need to ask the lawyers here what are the ethical issues with lawyers who are well aware that the bossman hasn't been around but they have been doing financial transactions like paychecks with his stamp on it and no one questioned that this could be a problem?

First, who the heck actually gives paychecks to employees anymore? Second, back in the day I did get paychecks that didn’t have original signatures. That was very common at big employers in my experience. No one person can sign 5,000 pay checks for example. Also Happens all the time with all kinds of government checks and the like. 

29 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

First, who the heck actually gives paychecks to employees anymore? Second, back in the day I did get paychecks that didn’t have original signatures. That was very common at big employers in my experience. No one person can sign 5,000 pay checks for example. Also Happens all the time with all kinds of government checks and the like. 

Maybe it's odd that it's a physical stamp instead of something computer generated? 

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Maybe it's odd that it's a physical stamp instead of something computer generated? 

I think the issue is that the signature can’t really be an authorized signature if the person is incapacitated. But I was a bit dumbstruck that they were still giving out paychecks.  My employer moved to direct deposit only at least ten years ago. Maybe 15 years ago. 

, This should happen all the time, and should be a no-brainer.  My mother had dementia for a few years before she passed away, and I was designated as her power of attorney. So I could sign documents as her POA (with all the legal mumbo jumbo included in the signature box), and so I’m surprised that they did not do the same thing for Peter Angelos.

Edited by Chelsea_Phil

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

, This should happen all the time, and should be a no-brainer.  My mother had dementia for a few years before she passed away, and I was designated as her power of attorney. So I could sign documents as her POA (with all the legal mumbo jumbo included in the signature box), and so I’m surprised that they did not do the same thing for Peter Angelos.

POA only works, if you trust people.

If you are a micromanager maniac, its doubtful you are going to sign off a POA to allow somebody else to run your portfolio.

7 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think the issue is that the signature can’t really be an authorized signature if the person is incapacitated. But I was a bit dumbstruck that they were still giving out paychecks.  My employer moved to direct deposit only at least ten years ago. Maybe 15 years ago. 

I bet my dentist still does.  They're nice people, but they have every record in paper (my file goes back to when my Mom first brought me there in 1978).  I have to mail (or I suppose hand-carry) them insurance paperwork that I print out after every time I go.  I asked if I could just email it to them and they said they don't do that.  The X-rays are all on film.  They snail mail me a postcard to remind me of my next appointment. The hygienists are all 65 years old and while I'm in the chair they tell long, rambling stories about how the kids these days can't learn anything with all the TikTok and crime.  My wife and kids go to another dentist where there's basically no paper, everything is in a consolidated electronic system, it's like going to Stardate 46379.

Would not surprise me if the Angelos Law Firm was like that.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I bet my dentist still does.  They're nice people, but they have every record in paper (my file goes back to when my Mom first brought me there in 1978).  I have to mail (or I suppose hand-carry) them insurance paperwork that I print out after every time I go.  I asked if I could just email it to them and they said they don't do that.  The X-rays are all on film.  They snail mail me a postcard to remind me of my next appointment. The hygienists are all 65 years old and while I'm in the chair they tell long, rambling stories about how the kids these days can't learn anything with all the TikTok and crime.  My wife and kids go to another dentist where there's basically no paper, everything is in a consolidated electronic system, it's like going to Stardate 46379.

Would not surprise me if the Angelos Law Firm was like that.

Well, you are a loyal guy.   My dentist has kept up with the times, but I swear the price of everything has quadrupled in the last 10 years.  And I don’t carry dental insurance.