Lowther DFA’ed, INF claimed

Legend_Of_Joey

• Legend_Of_Joey changed the title to Lowther DFA’ed, INF claimed
12 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

https://twitter.com/orioles/status/1537132896183631880?s=21&t=AQoC8LRMti8jKdqkXnwF5A

Lowther struggled heavily in his latest Norfolk outing too.

It's really a shame.  He was never a major prospect, but did well in the low-to-mid levels of the minors and was just terrible this year at AAA and last year at both AAA and the majors.  

Arauz 8.3.1998 a 2014 international free agent signee of the Astros who was Rule 5'd by the Red Sox.

No word whether he and Rio Ruiz are lifetime BFF's.

Still pretty young at 23...I guess Red Sox Whitlock-Eovaldi injury stack squeezed their roster some.

My maximum FG leaderboard cherry-pick here shows him the fourth youngest position player to get 100 plate appearances in the 2019 Texas League.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=7&stats=bat&qual=100&type=0&team=&season=2019&seasonEnd=2019&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=3,-1

2 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

It's really a shame.  He was never a major prospect, but did well in the low-to-mid levels of the minors and was just terrible this year at AAA and last year at both AAA and the majors.  

Garrett Olson and to a lesser extent Brian Matusz taught me not to get excited about these types of prospects until they show something at the big league level. We've had one success story, Zach Davies, and a bunch of Olson, Matusz, Wells, and Lowther stories (surely forgetting some). 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shouldn't they be past the point of the rebuild in which their is room on the 40 for Arauz?

There are 10 players on the Orioles 40-man that would likely pass through waivers. 

Elias and Co have done some good things, but developing/acquiring pitching depth is a huge part of contending and they need to do better there.

I'm obviously missing something here. I don't mind that Lowther was DFA'ed. We've seen that he's no longer a prospect. But I'm not sure what the appeal of Arauz is here. He's always been young for the league so that's at least something, but outside of a 54 game stint in Quad Cities in 2018, he hasn't been particularly impressive at any stop. I don't see much in the way of power nor speed as he's topped out at 11 HR in a year and 8 SB in a year. And I don't see a need for more infielders in AAA. I don't know much about his defense, but I'm not sure what he provides that Cadyn Grenier doesn't. 

3 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'm obviously missing something here. I don't mind that Lowther was DFA'ed. We've seen that he's no longer a prospect. But I'm not sure what the appeal of Arauz is here. He's always been young for the league so that's at least something, but outside of a 54 game stint in Quad Cities in 2018, he hasn't been particularly impressive at any stop. I don't see much in the way of power nor speed as he's topped out at 11 HR in a year and 8 SB in a year. And I don't see a need for more infielders in AAA. I don't know much about his defense, but I'm not sure what he provides that Cadyn Grenier doesn't. 

This keeps Elias from putting Grenier on the 40 if he needs a utility guy.

He knows I didn't like the Grenier pick so he's being a bro and doing me a solid keeping Grenier out of the majors.

29 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Garrett Olson and to a lesser extent Brian Matusz taught me not to get excited about these types of prospects until they show something at the big league level. We've had one success story, Zach Davies, and a bunch of Olson, Matusz, Wells, and Lowther stories (surely forgetting some). 

Josh Towers (and John Stephens?)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This keeps Elias from putting Grenier on the 40 if he needs a utility guy.

He knows I didn't like the Grenier pick so he's being a bro and doing me a solid keeping Grenier out of the majors.

If only there were a pair of top prospects playing infield at AAA that one (or both) could be promoted to the Majors should the need for another infielder arise...

• Upvote 1