Lowther DFA’ed, INF claimed

Legend_Of_Joey

I remembered @Luke-OHdiscussing Arauz few years ago. There’s probably more, but this is what I was able to find quickly.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:39 AM, Luke-OH said:

It depends on what you want, if you want someone who can play regularly in 2020 at SS, the best option might be Yonny Hernandez. Not an upside type, but he walked more than he struck out at 20-21 years old between A+/AA. He can run and play all over the infield. The hope is he turns into a solid utility IF. 

I don't think SS is a strong position in the Rule 5 this year, but the best of the bunch seems to be Jonathan Arauz. He held his own between A+/AA as a 20 year old, with some present over the fence power. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shouldn't they be past the point of the rebuild in which their is room on the 40 for Arauz?

Doubt if he stays on the 40 long.  Elias just wanted to take a long at someone he drafted.    He will probably be DFA'd and moved to the minors when there is an opportunity to do that.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but at this stage in the process should be removing one of them to add a different one?

Well there isn't a surplus of good players just sitting out there to be added instead. It wouldn't surprise me if he's only on the 40 for a few weeks tops. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but at this stage in the process should be removing one of them to add a different one?

I'm not sure who you would expect us to add to the roster upon removing Lowther at this point in the season.  Did you expect us to trade for Scherzer?  I don't expect significant changes to the 40 man until the trade deadline is approaching.  Unfortunately, I don't expect players like Mancini or Santander to bring back a great return.

If Mancini or Santander are traded for something decent, Stowers will likely be up to stay.  Almost any starting pitcher other than Wells could be dropped for DL Hall.  So, outside of those two promotions and the possiblity of any player acquired in the Mancini trade (if any) being ML ready, I doubt there will be a major change.

Just now, NCRaven said:

I'm not sure who you would expect us to add to the roster upon removing Lowther at this point in the season.  Did you expect us to trade for Scherzer?  I don't expect significant changes to the 40 man until the trade deadline is approaching.  Unfortunately, I don't expect players like Mancini or Santander to bring back a great return.

If Mancini or Santander are traded for something decent, Stowers will likely be up to stay.  Almost any starting pitcher other than Wells could be dropped for DL Hall.  So, outside of those two promotions and the possiblity of any player acquired in the Mancini trade (if any) being ML ready, I doubt there will be a major change.

I didn't realize that removing Lowther from the 40 was a requirement.

I just don't see the potential advantage from a move like this.  As someone else already stated what does he give you that Grenier doesn't?  Playing around with fringe 40 guys should have be a thing of the past by this point in the rebuild.  The 40 should be solid enough, by year four, that this guy can't crack it, even for a couple weeks.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't realize that removing Lowther from the 40 was a requirement.

I just don't see the potential advantage from a move like this.  As someone else already stated what does he give you that Grenier doesn't?  Playing around with fringe 40 guys should have be a thing of the past by this point in the rebuild.  The 40 should be solid enough, by year four, that this guy can't crack it, even for a couple weeks.

I just believe that if you look at the MLB transactions page over the course of a season, you'll see lots of moves like this from nearly every team.  They try to milk some advantage on the fringes.  Most such moves come to nothing.  It's not unusual about the Orioles, or any other team.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias still apparently thinks rearranging the deck chairs is the stage we're in right now. 

Lowther certainly pitched his way to this DFA status. He looked lost most of last year until September when he pitched better, but he's been brutal this year. Maybe he needs a change of scenery but his stat cast numbers did not look good. The slider and curve both backed up. 

He never seemed like the same guy since COVID.

More house cleaning from the DD era.  Lowther, A. Wells, and Akin, have all failed as SP.  Kremer, Baumann, and Zimmerman, are hanging onto SP hope by a thread.  I'm pretty sure Wells is hurt.  I don't see how he survives the offseason 40 man.  

At least Arauz can be a plus/average defender at both 2B and SS.  There's an opening for a "prospect" in Bowie at SS at the moment before Hernaiz gets there.  

• Upvote 1