Lowther DFA’ed, INF claimed

Legend_Of_Joey

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shouldn't they be past the point of the rebuild in which their is room on the 40 for Arauz?

It's interesting that you pose your opinion in the form of a question.  Why do you ask a question that you feel you 100% know the answer to.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't realize that removing Lowther from the 40 was a requirement.

I just don't see the potential advantage from a move like this.  As someone else already stated what does he give you that Grenier doesn't?  Playing around with fringe 40 guys should have be a thing of the past by this point in the rebuild.  The 40 should be solid enough, by year four, that this guy can't crack it, even for a couple weeks.

Well, clearly it isn't.   We have remarked  many times all season that there are still a bunch of easily expendable guys on the 40 man roster.  It has been constantly noted on here when discussions have come up about how to make room for someone from AAA.   Either it is just surprising you now or you are just trying to find another way to make the same point you have made a hundred times already (that a lot of us agree with), that the rebuild has not moved as fast as it should.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I just believe that if you look at the MLB transactions page over the course of a season, you'll see lots of moves like this from nearly every team.  They try to milk some advantage on the fringes.  Most such moves come to nothing.  It's not unusual about the Orioles, or any other team.

In the past 30 hours:

Astros claimed a 28 year old outfielder with 11 MLB at bats in his career off waivers from the Angels.

Marlins put Jimmy Yacabonis on the 40 man roster and brought him up.

Brewers claimed 30 year old Chi Chi Gonzalez, who has a 5.69 career MLB ERA, on waivers from the Twins.

Your point would seem to be correct.   Two of those 3 teams making crappy additions to their 40 man roster are first place teams.

• Upvote 1

At the end of 2019, I regarded Lowther as being a similar level of prospect to Akin.   Akin had a few extra ticks on the FB but Lowther had some other things going for him.   I have no idea what happened to him, but this isn’t a simple case of a guy whose 2019 stuff simply wasn’t good enough for AAA.  It’s a guy who’s somehow lost it, either physically, mentally or both.   It’s a real shame.  I’m sure he’ll get through waivers and I hope he can figure it out eventually.   It may take another offseason for him to regroup.  

I’m not so down on the org right now. We’re 21-22 over our last 43. Means and GR got hurt. AR has struggled. All things considered we’ve been playing really good ball.

The waiver wire is starting to pick up steam with roster restrictions happening from where they were on OD, and teams are deciding if they are contenders or not. I’d like to see us continue to work the waiver wire. We have some positional flexibility while Gunnar and Westburg are in the minors. 

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I'm not sure who you would expect us to add to the roster upon removing Lowther at this point in the season.  Did you expect us to trade for Scherzer?  I don't expect significant changes to the 40 man until the trade deadline is approaching.  Unfortunately, I don't expect players like Mancini or Santander to bring back a great return.

If Mancini or Santander are traded for something decent, Stowers will likely be up to stay.  Almost any starting pitcher other than Wells could be dropped for DL Hall.  So, outside of those two promotions and the possiblity of any player acquired in the Mancini trade (if any) being ML ready, I doubt there will be a major change.

I would have liked to see us kick the tires on Sean Newcomb.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Interesting that Arauz was assigned to AAA where Gunnar and Westburg are. I guess he will play 2B when Westburg isn’t. Likely just a org depth piece with Urias injured.

In case the O's need an infielder to fill in at the majors.  Don't want to rush Henderson 😝

23 hours ago, now said:

Josh Towers (and John Stephens?)

Don't you go blasphemin' John Stephens on this site now! Everybody knows he just needed another 50 or 100 innings to get that 60 mph eephus curved dialed in and he woulda been something.  But the 2002 O's were messed up.  Messed up bad.  Damn shame.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

At the end of 2019, I regarded Lowther as being a similar level of prospect to Akin.   Akin had a few extra ticks on the FB but Lowther had some other things going for him.   I have no idea what happened to him, but this isn’t a simple case of a guy whose 2019 stuff simply wasn’t good enough for AAA.  It’s a guy who’s somehow lost it, either physically, mentally or both.   It’s a real shame.  I’m sure he’ll get through waivers and I hope he can figure it out eventually.   It may take another offseason for him to regroup.  

I'd like to know what happened, too.  His performances pre- and post-2020 are like they came from two different people.  Seems like a clear case of being hurt, but I don't know anything about it.