6/24: "They took offense to it, I guess" Kopech On HBP

cboemmeljr

1 hour ago, NedFromYork said:

Why was he hit?  Because of the stolen bases?

Btw, thank you for all that you do.

Kremer hit Josh Harrison with a pitch the day before, and Harrison had to leave the game. It might have been in response to that, even though Kremer’s pitch didn’t seem intentional. Either way, it cost the White Sox a run yesterday so it backfired on them 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Kremer hit Josh Harrison with a pitch the day before, and Harrison had to leave the game. It might have been in response to that, even though Kremer’s pitch didn’t seem intentional. Either way, it cost the White Sox a run yesterday so it backfired on them 

Yeah that's the only thing I can think of. I was listening to the CWS broadcast when it happened and even their guys didn't believe Kremer tried to hit him. Even said he walked over to Harrison and apologized.

33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The stolen bases came after, likely in retaliation for Jorge being hit! They were messing with Kopech, and even got him to balk in a run.

Yes, but these type of balk calls are ridiculous.   I still can't figure out what he did and the rule says part of a balk is "if it's intended to deceive the runner".    If the pitcher coughs you can call a balk.   I think they need to get rid of BS calls like that even if it did benefit us this time.

Getting that run with the Mateo walk and later the Richie Martin RBI was sweet revenge.

Speaking of Richie Martin did anyone mention the idiotic steal of 3B with two out where he made it by a hair.   That's just a stupid, stupid play with 2 outs.

I like DHs because who wants to see pitchers hit, but this incident shows the downside of DHs.  Pre DH days, if a pitcher threw at a batter, I assume a pitch was likely headed his way, now it's his teammates that get the payback.  I wonder if Kopech would "take offense" to getting hit in the back with a 99 mph fastball.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Yes, but these type of balk calls are ridiculous.   I still can't figure out what he did and the rule says part of a balk is "if it's intended to deceive the runner".    If the pitcher coughs you can call a balk.   I think they need to get rid of BS calls like that even if it did benefit us this time.

Getting that run with the Mateo walk and later the Richie Martin RBI was sweet revenge.

Speaking of Richie Martin did anyone mention the idiotic steal of 3B with two out where he made it by a hair.   That's just a stupid, stupid play with 2 outs.

I thought it was pretty clear. Hyde or somebody could even be heard calling it out. May not be intentional but there has to be a rule or else you effectively take away stolen bases.

Martin stealing was definitely not a good baseball play but I don't think it was meant to be. I'd rather him try to steal third than throw at one of their guys.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I thought it was pretty clear. Hyde or somebody could even be heard calling it out. May not be intentional but there has to be a rule or else you effectively take away stolen bases.

Martin stealing was definitely not a good baseball play but I don't think it was meant to be. I'd rather him try to steal third than throw at one of their guys.

He almost got thrown out at 3B with 2 outs.   That's not revenge.  That's just stupid.

As for the balk, I think it was the umpire calling it out but maybe you're right about Hyde calling it too.  I don't know.  Personally, I find most balk calls to be stupid interpretations of the rule.    Just like when a runner hits a ball and run towards 1B which is inside the line and then gets called for interference because he's not running in the box in foul territory.   Just dumb things that still go on.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He almost got thrown out at 3B with 2 outs.   That's not revenge.  That's just stupid.

As for the balk, I think it was the umpire calling it out but maybe you're right about Hyde calling it too.  I don't know.  Personally, I find most balk calls to be stupid interpretations of the rule.    Just like when a runner hits a ball and run towards 1B which is inside the line and then gets called for interference because he's not running in the box in foul territory.   Just dumb things that still go on.

Admittedly in that situation there is no way Adley is trying to steal. But if Mateo is on 1st, that same flinch could easily get him picked off. I'm fine with calling interference if they do it consistently. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Admittedly in that situation there is no way Adley is trying to steal. But if Mateo is on 1st, that same flinch could easily get him picked off. I'm fine with calling interference if they do it consistently. 

I admittedly did not see a flinch or anything that could be construed as the pitcher trying to fake any runner on base to think that he was starting towards home plate in order to catch them off base.