Blake Snell available?

Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2022/06/30/the-cubs-padres-buy-a-prospect-trade-rumors-may-come-back-but-with-a-twist/

If so, the Os should be interested, especially if you don’t have to trade any of your top guys.

Heck, they could afford to take Hosmer back.   They could probably take back both if SD throws in SOME money.

While we're at it, 

Mancini to Brewers 

For 

LHP Small and pick 72 (competitive balance b)

Lopez to Twins 

For

RHP Simeon Woods Richardson and pick 68

Would add 

A SP to eat innings and who could hopefully rebound and have value next trade deadline 

2 solid SPs to upper level of system (Small probably ready for majors now on rebuilding club)

A high upside young OFer

3 picks and 3,900,000 in bonus pool dollars

Lol fantasy world

Snell has good upside, is signed to a reasonable deal for 2 more years and is still young-ish.

He should be a target.  Who knows if we would pay for him though.

I would take back Myers, who is done at the end of the year, if they include a very good prospect and/or take less from us..but again, the Angelos family stands in the way.

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Snell has good upside, is signed to a reasonable deal for 2 more years and is still young-ish.

He should be a target.  Who knows if we would pay for him though.

I would take back Myers, who is done at the end of the year, if they include a very good prospect and/or take less from us..but again, the Angelos family stands in the way.

I agree that this should be a great time to make a move like this. I have to wonder what money Elias has to make a move like this. I’m not sure on Snell’s work ethic and aptitude, but he is nasty when healthy. 

7 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I agree that this should be a great time to make a move like this. I have to wonder what money Elias has to make a move like this. I’m not sure on Snell’s work ethic and aptitude, but he is nasty when healthy. 

He’s far from perfect but you don’t have to pay him like he is either.

I actually thought he had an option in 2024 but he doesn’t.  He is owed 16M in 2023 and maybe you can extend him if you wish.

Still, I’m taking a shot at him.  As of now, he will be the 22nd highest paid pitcher next year and that will likely change once guys sign new deals.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Heck, they could afford to take Hosmer back.   They could probably take back both if SD throws in SOME money.

A deal to take Hosmer or Myers would make a lot of sense.   If Hosmer is traded, and the Padres send 1/2 his salary, does his whole salary count  against the Orioles' CB Tax or just the half the O's are paying?

https://cubsinsider.com/2022/04/02/padres-deep-in-trade-talks-on-eric-hosmer-trade-cubs-and-mets-reportedly-involved/

This talks about a similar discussion with Hosmer to Mets. I have no idea what our Dom Smith vs cash coming back equivalent would be but its interesting to see that aspect too. Presumably the Os could work the player going vs prospect/cash math.

Makes so much sense for the Os to do this with Snell.

4 hours ago, odogs101 said:

Santander

For

Snell, James Wood and the 39th pick (competitive balance pick)

Fair? No? 

I think that would be a lopsided trade for us. But if we were to fleece the Padres, I'd prefer Robert Hassell to Wood, although I would love the deal you proposed. Maybe add Mancini and a prospect (sell high on Haskin?) to try and get both Hassell and Wood? The Padres are desperately in win-now mode and trade away quality prospects like candy.

7 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

I think that would be a lopsided trade for us. But if we were to fleece the Padres, I'd prefer Robert Hassell to Wood, although I would love the deal you proposed. Maybe add Mancini and a prospect (sell high on Haskin?) to try and get both Hassell and Wood? The Padres are desperately in win-now mode and trade away quality prospects like candy.

But they are also desperate to save money so I don’t think Mancini works for them.

Santander may though, especially if we take back Myers.

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Just don't see us taking on salary. Would be pleasantly surprised if we did.

Yeah no chance. Especially with the lawsuit. I could see us taking on Snell’s salary, but not an add on who we don’t even want on the team. 

As for Snell, I’m not that interested unless the Orioles coaches have found the reason for his huge increase in BB the last two years. At 16M next year, and then free agency, I wouldn’t give up much for him. Probably a better deal on the table for Santander or Mancini.