Would you rather…

Sports Guy

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

I think I would see it as the opposite if we are concerned about the risk of Stowers you trade Mancini and keep Santander.  I prefer not seeing Mancini in the OF if Stowers bombs.

I do think a lot of us are treating it as a given that Stowers is a lock to be good.  I think what Elias thinks of him has a big impact on what we do at the deadline.

I didn't mean it as seeing Mancini in the OF. I meant it as him being a more reliable, consistent presence at the plate while Stowers gets his shot and does some platooning with McKenna.

Don't trade starting pitching that can or might have value.

Keep Hall (unless there's a problem there that we don't know about).

Try to add Snell, though I question that Santander would get him.

Keep Lyles. 

With GRod and then Means, you've got a pretty good rotation -- maybe a very good rotation -- for somewhere around $40 million. Until they break, of course.

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I didn't mean it as seeing Mancini in the OF. I meant it as him being a more reliable, consistent presence at the plate while Stowers gets his shot and does some platooning with McKenna.

I agree that removing Santander and Mancini from the lineup would be a downgrade even if Stowers does come up and perform.

Why not both? Santander is fine and all but the Orioles have a lot of OF that are either ready now or will be in the next year or two. Snell has been unlucky this year and is a great buy low / salary dump pick up if they're really looking to move him. There aren't many pitchers in all of baseball that are as talented as him.

They have multiple OF, 2B, and 3B that are either ready now or will be in the next year or two. Trading Hall and multiple of the lower ranked prospects like a Norby, Prieto, etc. from a position you have depth in would be worth it. Adding two legitimate front of the rotation talents to a team with not much to show for pitching prospects would be worth it (I do get the irony of trading one of the only two highly ranked pitching prospects in the system). I would be more interested in Luis Castillo than Montas or Lopez though.

Adding Snell and one of the other available pitchers would really bolster the playoff chances this year and turn the team into a true contender going into 2023.

I'm more inclined to trade Hall for a known, controllable pitching commodity.  While Hall's upside is obvious, he is also a risky proposition.  With his injury history and struggles with command I'd strike while the iron is hot.  Obviously I'd only deal him if it brings back a long-term pitching solution.  (And there is the usual "it depends on what else needs to be sent with him.")

In theory the Santander/Snell deal carries very little risk with a fair potential for reward.  I just think he is far removed from being a good pitcher and I think we can get a bit more of a sure thing for Santander (plus a reliever/prospect).  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

If you look at what the Dodgers have done, they never trade their top 3-4 prospects.  The Orioles should do the same.  G-Rod, Gunnar, and Hall would be untouchable for me.  You only trade one of those guys if you can get a true stud with years left, and there isn't one of them on the market.  

As for trading for Snell, definitely would trade Santander as part of a package for him.  This, of course, presumes the Orioles see something that they can fix.  

Or if you look at the Astros Verlander-Cole-Greinke acquisitions.    You establish your brand and people think your 5-20 guys are worthwhile.   Joe Musgrove really was; Daz Cameron and Colin Moran...not so much.     You can pretty much mad-lib these with a random number generator.    Pick 4 digits each 6-9, 10-12, 13-16, 17-20.    The return is usually the best pitcher.   Decision Sciences says watch shoulders and elbows and pitch metrics until the All-Star break - then you get data Frankie Montas is broken and Luis Castillo is not.

Here I go...hitting MLB.com today.

Orioles trade Heston Kjerstad, Cesar Prieto, Drew Rom and Maikol Hernandez for Luis Castillo.

That's where it is about talent.    Snell and Bumgarner is just about $$$.

Why not both? And more. If we are going for it, be all in. Do not stop and get caught in between.

If I had to choose only one, the Santander deal. Hall brings a lot of prospect capital, but he is very volatile and a lot of risk on the injury side. In the right deal, I can see him going. Oakland may have to send another piece in the deal besides Montas. 

2 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think the Snell for Santander trade makes a ton of sense if the organization is sold on Stowers.  If we could sweeten that deal to get the Padres comp pick I think the trade would be a home run.

With that being said, are we sure the organization is sold on Stowers? When he came up in Toronto I think he spent as much time on the bench as he did on the field.  I don't want to derail this thread but I wonder if Elias would trade Stowers if he had more value in obtaining a cost controlled pitcher.

I have zero issue if Stowers is a guy they deem expendable and want to use him as a piece to get a guy like Lopez.

34 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Why not both? And more. If we are going for it, be all in. Do not stop and get caught in between.

If I had to choose only one, the Santander deal. Hall brings a lot of prospect capital, but he is very volatile and a lot of risk on the injury side. In the right deal, I can see him going. Oakland may have to send another piece in the deal besides Montas. 

I’m good with both.  In fact, I encourage it.  I just have my doubts they would pull off both.

• Upvote 1