7 of our next 10 games are against the Rays

Frobby

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Thats because the rays build for depth.  They understand that roster development isn't linear (player to prospect, position to position) and they understand that flawed players with elite skill sets in one facet of the game still have value.

Just look at their leaders in WAR this season.

1. Yandy Diaz - former top prospect of the guardians.  A flawed player whose defensive positions are limited corner spots and who has little power, but with an elite OBP tool.  Acquired when CLE gave up on him early in his career even when Tampa had a number of top 3B/1B prospects (Lowe(s), Walls, etc.)

2. Ji Man Choi - former mid level prospect who looks an awful lot like Diaz.  Little power and limited defense but with solid OBP skills.

4. Isaac Paredes.  Acquired from Det at the start of the season.  When I saw this trade I said "thats a Tampa move."  Paredes, a 2B was acquired despite the team have Franco at SS, walls and brujan as top prospects, and Lowe on the team.  He was a top performing hitter in MiLB. Lowe got injured and Paredes (as well as others has stepped in).  He's hit 13 HRs.

5. Harold Ramirez.  Another guy acquired from CLE who they had all but given up on.

Margot (admittedly a big trade), Meija, Phillips.  The list goes on.

The Rays have at times reminded me of the Earl Weaver Orioles. The Orioles at times acquired, and Earl had a reputation for using rather than shunning, position players who had both real strengths and serious weaknesses. He often was able to find ways to take advantage of those strengths and minimize the effect of those weaknesses, and he used L-R platoons as one way to do that. 

Tampa always seems to have a bunch of position players who do something really well -- hit HRs, run, play a key defensive position, get on base -- but aren't terrific all-around players. (It's hard to tell if you watch the Orioles-Rays games, since a lot of the Rays play like all-around stars in those games.)

What amazes me is that the Rays can get away with such limited personnel when there are so few bench players, and so many of their position players have to play every day.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2022 at 1:08 PM, spiritof66 said:

The Rays have at times reminded me of the Earl Weaver Orioles. The Orioles at times acquired, and Earl had a reputation for using rather than shunning, position players who had both real strengths and serious weaknesses. He often was able to find ways to take advantage of those strengths and minimize the effect of those weaknesses, and he used L-R platoons as one way to do that. 

Tampa always seems to have a bunch of position players who do something really well -- hit HRs, run, play a key defensive position, get on base -- but aren't terrific all-around players. (It's hard to tell if you watch the Orioles-Rays games, since a lot of the Rays play like all-around stars in those games.)

What amazes me is that the Rays can get away with such limited personnel when there are so few bench players, and so many of their position players have to play every day.  

In a sense, this year's Rays are even more of a wonder than normal. I used to think a big part of their secret was covering for the player limitations and short bench you point out with a great super-utility player like Ben Zobrist and a manager like Maddon, who was extremely clever,  popular, and a stickler for fundamentals like competent defense and intelligent base-running.

But they've done just as well under Cash, they don't have a player like Zobrist, and somehow regularly develop and trade for the right combination of veteran and prospect starting pitchers to compensate for jettisoning or doing without the previous season's top pitchers.

Losing two out of three to them this past series is a SSS and we managed to keep every game close because of what has been this season the Orioles' typically persistent offense and resilient bullpen. But it's a stark warning about the better competition we're about to face post-winning streak that the Rays were this tough without three of their top offensive players in the lineup (Margot, Kiermaier, Franco), not using their All-Star pitcher McClanahan, and heavily relying on several position players that are having miserable seasons (the OPS+'s of Josh Lowe, Walls, and Phillips are 74, 63, and 41!). Go O's!

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would love to sign up for 3-4 over our next 7 against the NYY and TB.  I no that's loser talk, but I think that prevents a sell off, and we'll have a fighting chance for Aug and Sept.  

As would I as well because after these 7 games we have 9 against lesser teams to rebound.

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would love to sign up for 3-4 over our next 7 against the NYY and TB.  I no that's loser talk, but I think that prevents a sell off, and we'll have a fighting chance for Aug and Sept.  

OPACY has actually been a home-field advantage this year. But even if we win only two out of seven, it will also depend on whether we get blown out as in previous seasons. If the losses are very tight, as has usually been the case this year, what particular needs the Orioles have can come much more clearly into focus or be confirmed. Most obviously, can the fringiest players we have (Araúz, Nevin, Odor, Voth) hold their own? Will the bubble burst for the surprising pitchers (Kremer, Watkins, Lyles to a certain extent)?

It's also obviously a showcase for Mancini and Santander. If they are leaving come August, I hope they go out with a blaze of glory. I've truly enjoyed watching them.

The Yankees do have a doubleheader in Houston tomorrow before coming to town, but looks like they are saving Cole for our second half opener Friday night.    Hopefully both HOU-NYY go at each other with playoff intensity.

I believe Sunday in Severino's absence we will see Domingo German's season debut, same as we saw Brandon Lowe's return from a long absence last weekend.

Cole opening the second half at Camden reminds me some of the '89 Opening Day against Clemens after the 0-21 year.

14 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The Yankees do have a doubleheader in Houston tomorrow before coming to town, but looks like they are saving Cole for our second half opener Friday night.    Hopefully both HOU-NYY go at each other with playoff intensity.

I believe Sunday in Severino's absence we will see Domingo German's season debut, same as we saw Brandon Lowe's return from a long absence last weekend.

Cole opening the second half at Camden reminds me some of the '89 Opening Day against Clemens after the 0-21 year.

May the result be as good!

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

In a sense, this year's Rays are even more of a wonder than normal. I used to think a great part of their secret was covering for the player limitations and short bench you point out with a great super-utility player like Ben Zobrist and a manager like Maddon who was extremely clever,  popular, and a stickler for fundamentals like competent defense.

But they've done just as well under Cash, they don't have a player like Zobrist, and somehow regularly develop and trade for the right combination of veteran and prospect starting pitchers to compensate for jettisoning or doing without the previous season's top pitchers.

Losing two out of three to them this past series is a SSS and we managed to keep every game close because of what has been this season the Orioles' typically persistent offense and resilient bullpen. But it's a stark warning about the better competition we're about to face post-winning streak that the Rays were this tough without three of their top offensive players in the lineup (Margot, Kiermaier, Franco), not using their All-Star pitcher McClanahan, and heavily relying on several position players that are having miserable seasons (the OPS+'s of Josh Lowe, Walls, and Phillips are 74, 63, and 41!). Go O's!

True. I thought this would be the year that the Rays fell back to below .500. Of course, I also thought the Jays would compete with the NYYs for the division title. 

Hard to know where the Rays would be this year with Franco, Kiermeier and a couple of their injured pitchers. It was odd seeing some Orioles' hits in the recent series land on the CF turf.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Pickles said:

The O's concluded this ten game stretch, with three games against the Yankees scheduled in between their two series with the Rays, at 5-5.

I for one am fairly encouraged.

Playing .500 ball against AL East teams not named the Red Sox, and playing better than .500 ball against everyone else puts the Orioles in a really good position the next two months. 

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The O's concluded this ten game stretch, with three games against the Yankees scheduled in between their two series with the Rays, at 5-5.

I for one am fairly encouraged.

Heck yes, very encouraging.  I do feel sorry for Tampa and that we are so lucky to play them now when they have had a boatload of injuries.  But them’s the breaks, I guess.