Longenhagen draft rankings

On 7/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, Frobby said:

Fangraphs (led by Eric Longenhagen) has updated its Board to show 2022 Draft Rankings .   They also have detailed scouting reports on many players.  They have Drew Jones no. 1 and the only player rated at 60 FV.   Then there’s three in the 55 tier: Jackson Holliday, Brooks Lee and Termarr Johnson.  Nice reports on all these guys.  

There is already a mock draft thread, just saying:)

On 7/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, Frobby said:

Fangraphs (led by Eric Longenhagen) has updated its Board to show 2022 Draft Rankings .   They also have detailed scouting reports on many players.  They have Drew Jones no. 1 and the only player rated at 60 FV.   Then there’s three in the 55 tier: Jackson Holliday, Brooks Lee and Termarr Johnson.  Nice reports on all these guys.  

Oh look, Lesko at 7! People jumped on me when I said I’d consider him as an underslot. We need pitching and he could have been 1 overall without the TJ. 

2 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Oh look, Lesko at 7! People jumped on me when I said I’d consider him as an underslot. We need pitching and he could have been 1 overall without the TJ. 

No one has said he’s not talented or anything like that.  But pulling the trigger on him at 1 is a horrible idea.

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:14 PM, RZNJ said:

I'm sticking with 1) Jones )2 Holiday 3) Lee 

Some people don't want to like Lee but that's a beautiful writeup on him.    I've said it before but Lee is a more accomplished, more proven version of Termarr Johnson who can also play on the left side.    I can't understand going for Termarr over Lee if it were to come to that.

The biggest red flags for me with Lee are the injury history. Back issues coming out of high school which caused concern, and then BOTH knee and hamstring surgeries in college? I honestly wouldn't touch Lee with 1.1 on the injuries alone, forget that his ceiling is limited compared to other top guys.

All these reports by Longenhagen just make me like Jackson Holliday even more as the best pick for the O's at #1.

• Upvote 3

These rankings are important imo. Fan graphs are one of the best. 

I have read and listened to so many mocks, I am exhausted.

If it were me I’d go (thinking out loud a bit):

Jones (Boras is a huge red flag, see Soto, Boras is bad for baseball). BUT he would be huge trade capital! 

Holiday: I have read a ton of analysis and it seems like Holiday has MUCH greater odds sticking at SS than Lee. If Lee can’t stick at SS, that dramatically impacts his value. I might go Holiday over Jones, but not sure on that yet.

Lesko: love him, he’s the underslot I’d go with.

Lee: see comments above. If he isn’t a slam dunk SS, why are we taking him? That would be bad.

Green: too much risk for Elias, I see little chance he takes him.

Parada: can rake, might be able to play 3rd, underrated imo

Johnson: hit tool blah blah blah, you don’t take a 2nd 1:1 when the above guys available imo

Collier: could be great, could be overrated, too many unknowns for my liking 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Boras is fine.

Someone needs to advocate for players.

Lol he doesn’t advocate for the players 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

He advocates for himself. 

Imagine Soto has a horrendous injury tomorrow…you think Boras will help him? 

Funniest thing I have read on here. Lol

2 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Lol he doesn’t advocate for the players 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

He advocates for himself. 

Imagine Soto has a horrendous injury tomorrow…you think Boras will help him? 

Funniest thing I have read on here. Lol

Boras has more of an internal infrastructure to help players than any other agent that I'm aware of.

You hear of any other agent going to bat for minor leaugers?

You think a team is going to help anyone they don't have to help?

Any dollar that goes to players instead of owners I'm happy about.

If owners sign players to stupid contracts that's on them, not the agent.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Boras has more of an internal infrastructure to help players than any other agent that I'm aware of.

You hear of any other agent going to bat for minor leaugers?

You think a team is going to help anyone they don't have to help?

Any dollar that goes to players instead of owners I'm happy about.

If owners sign players to stupid contracts that's on them, not the agent.

I don't always agree with you and I understand how Boras can rub some folks the wrong way but there's zero doubt he's the best in the business, and by a long shot. 

40 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

The biggest red flags for me with Lee are the injury history. Back issues coming out of high school which caused concern, and then BOTH knee and hamstring surgeries in college? I honestly wouldn't touch Lee with 1.1 on the injuries alone, forget that his ceiling is limited compared to other top guys.

All these reports by Longenhagen just make me like Jackson Holliday even more as the best pick for the O's at #1.

Fair enough, but I only heard hamstring surgery in 2020.   He seems like he's been injury free for 2 years now.    I've seen differing reports on Holliday's arm and some reports that question his ability to stay at SS as well.   I just think very highly of Lee's hitting ability and he's show it with wood bats and against advanced college competition (team USA and Cape Code).   

On 7/15/2022 at 3:14 PM, RZNJ said:

I'm sticking with 1) Jones )2 Holiday 3) Lee 

Some people don't want to like Lee but that's a beautiful writeup on him.    I've said it before but Lee is a more accomplished, more proven version of Termarr Johnson who can also play on the left side.    I can't understand going for Termarr over Lee if it were to come to that.

So many people saying Lee won’t stick at SS. I don’t know myself of course, just sharing but if that’s the case, huge huge impact to his value. Also you tend to outperform when your Pops is the head coach. I like Lee too but sounds like Holiday makes a ton more sense. 

17 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

So many people saying Lee won’t stick at SS. I don’t know myself of course, just sharing but if that’s the case, huge huge impact to his value. Also you tend to outperform when your Pops is the head coach. I like Lee too but sounds like Holiday makes a ton more sense. 

From everything I read, Lee won't stick at SS but we don't know 100% that Holliday will either, although I admit there's a greater chance.   The real question is what kind of hitter is Holliday going to be.   It's one thing to hit .617 in HS and another to hit over .300 with Team USA, .355 in college, and over .400 with 6 homers with a wood bat in the Cape Cod League.    I've said that it's Jones, Holliday, and Lee for me so I'm on board with Holliday.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

From everything I read, Lee won't stick at SS but we don't know 100% that Holliday will either, although I admit there's a greater chance.   The real question is what kind of hitter is Holliday going to be.   It's one thing to hit .617 in HS and another to hit over .300 with Team USA, .355 in college, and over .400 with 6 homers with a wood bat in the Cape Cod League.    I've said that it's Jones, Holliday, and Lee for me so I'm on board with Holliday.

Excellent points all around Sir. Not sure myself. Jones being a Boras guy slightly changes things for me. Do we know much about the other top guys’ agents? Any Boras clients? Doesn’t matter much if you trade then though.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The thing with both Lee and Holiday (and Johnson) is that even if they can’t play SS, they’re still going to play a premium defensive position in 2b/3b.

I think people are underrating those positions defensively, especially when compared to how they feel about CF