2022 Draft Tracker

38 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am no draft expert but it seems like some negotiations must not have gone as planned? Elias has signed everyone he has drafted in Baltimore going into this draft.  Young, Walters, Malthes have all said they are going back to school and Mclean still isn't signed.  I wonder if someone gave them a number (Mclean maybe?) then after being drafted changed it?

According to the article posted in the Walters thread, the O's drafted him out of the blue and without any prior communication.  It sounds like Walters provided his number to the teams that did call him about potentially drafting him much earlier.

Assuming only$315K of Showalter's $440K counts against the bonus pool, they have $1,218.9K left now. If #3 pick goes for slot, they have $425.3K left. If ME leaves that $425K on the table unspent, does that imply that John A has told him all the Round 11 to Round 20 signings (125K) come out of the pot even if they don't count against the bonus pool?????

6 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Young for all the money. I would guess they offered this to both young and walkers, and walters stuck to 1.7m

Cant believe we spent this much for this guy.  They must think his horrible season last year was due to coming off injury.  But even his year before that he was a strike out machine.  I dont think this guys bat will play at the major league level.

Just now, jerios55 said:

I wonder if this means no McLean.  

His pick would give a comp pick if he is not signed right?  (I've seen through 3rd round, but many articles are older and I know the CBA is a bit different now)

Yes. So IMO not a huge concern about not being able to sign him if his demands are too high. I bet the team figured blowing $2M on McLean vs $1.3M on Young with a 3rd rounder next year it was better to go with the latter.

9 minutes ago, terpfan101 said:

Yes. So IMO not a huge concern about not being able to sign him if his demands are too high. I bet the team figured blowing $2M on McLean vs $1.3M on Young with a 3rd rounder next year it was better to go with the latter.

Where my head was at and would make some sense.

I do find it interesting they wouldn't have this number locked down since it was the first of day 2.  As others mentioned, maybe he also prefers being a hitter and that factored into a change of heart.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

I do find it interesting they wouldn't have this number locked down since it was the first of day 2.  As others mentioned, maybe he also prefers being a hitter and that factored into a change of heart.

For sure, I totally expected they negotiated something overnight before selecting him, so that was certainly surprising.

7 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

I mean, who knows what’s going on or why?   I still think the odds he signs are better than 50/50.   I think there’s a good chance we held up on an announcement for strategic reasons relating to negotiations with other players.   If not, well I guess it’s pretty clear we like Young better than McLean.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I mean, who knows what’s going on or why?   I still think the odds he signs are better than 50/50.   I think there’s a good chance we held up on an announcement for strategic reasons relating to negotiations with other players.   If not, well I guess it’s pretty clear we like Young better than McLean.  

Hope you're right and he signs...while a replacement third next year is all fine and dandy, if we're aiming to be competitive starting 2023 and with a prime window through say 2026-7, much rather have him this year.

Many different things could be going on, but given this was a relatively high pick, & Elias’ track record the last few years, I would be surprised if they didn’t have a number for him pre-draft and weren’t prepared to meet it.

Not sure if they spent the money wisely, but one thing you can’t say this year is that the Orioles were cheap. 

Who knows what we’ll find out. But I’m guessing the O’s lowered their number to McLean after they found something they didn’t like on the physical. McLean said no. And O’s upped their offer to Young.

This is speculation but that makes me think he was their favorite underslot. I don’t see it, but hope they’re right!

Edited by brvn52