Ryan McKenna as a 4th Outfielder

BRobinsonfan

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Not a 4th Outfielder.

He's a 3rd Outfielder.

Split the difference...he's a 3.5 outfielder.  Great late-inning defensive replacement or pinch runner that you are also perfectly comfortable with starting for long stretches if one of your top 3 are injured.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

McKenna is certainly making the most of his playing time.  He's improved his batting avg. every month:

April/May      .222

June              .231

July               .280    

August          .381      

He runs and fields well and now he's providing decent production at the plate.  I think he gives Hyde a lot of flexibility in filling out the line up card.  He'll probably never be more than a 4th outfielder... but so far he's turning out to be a really solid 4th outfielder.  

• Upvote 2

I was amazed to discover he's only 25, and only in his second season. Seems like he's been around for years. Also funny to see him refer to Mountcastle, also 25, as a "kid." Maybe McKenna's an "old soul." ;)

Edited by now

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you are OK with keeping him now?

Honestly, we have guys who have limited at bats in the majors. It took Santander about 600 at bats to become the hitter and  Im not 100 percent sure he’s peaked yet. Mateo on has 576, McKenna has 290, Nevin has 165, Adley 240 and Vavra 36. To make a hard decision on these until they guys get 600 ABs is unfair IMO.  I know we don’t expect much from Nevin at this point but even he’s hitting we’ll despite 

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you are OK with keeping him now?

Yes.   I said from the beginning that he had a nice stroke to RF but he was awful when he tried to pull the ball.   I was ready to throw the towel in on Mateo at one point too.  Both have made adjustments.  Good to see.  I’m not sure McKenna is anything more than a 4th OF but now he’s having professional AB’s each time up.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Yes.   I said from the beginning that he had a nice stroke to RF but he was awful when he tried to pull the ball.   I was ready to throw the towel in on Mateo at one point too.  Both have made adjustments.  Good to see.  I’m not sure McKenna is anything more than a 4th OF but now he’s having professional AB’s each time up.

Most on the board were saying he had defined who he was after 200 major league plate appearances. It was ridiculous.