07/26/22 Roster Moves: Terrin Vavra is called up from Norfolk (MLB debut) and Arauz to the IL

OsFanSinceThe80s

20 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Is it possible that they are trying to "showcase" Odor for a trade partner? I couldn't imagine who would really want him.  Maybe a LH Power bench bat? Are there any hidden analytics that show he's been better than his stat line?

If Odor was better then yes, this would make sense. But everyone knows what they a getting with Odor. A good clubhouse guy who is a below replacement level player.

44 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Odor batting in front of Urias is a travesty. Bad management.

Its hardly a tragedy; he's breaking up the RH hitters in the lineup.  It makes perfect sense.

And its been two games w/ Vavra, one of which he apparently barely made it to the park in time for.  A little early to start criticizing Hyde for not playing him.

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Its hardly a tragedy; he's breaking up the RH hitters in the lineup.  It makes perfect sense.

And its been two games w/ Vavra, one of which he apparently barely made it to the park in time for.  A little early to start criticizing Hyde for not playing him.

Urias has the best OPS on the team and is absolutely on fire. There 0 reason for him to be batting 8th. 

Edited by TheWall
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Geehs!!!  The O's are 14-6 in July.  They just took the last two games from the Rays who are ahead of them in the standings.   They did that with the team that has been here and played together for a while.    Vavra's value right now is a left-handed bat off the bench and someone that can rest Odor for a game or two.

Many may not like it but Odor is an integrate part of the winning in July.   He plays well with Urias and Mateo.  Turns the double play well and gets an important hit every now and then.    

Vavra time will come.  Maybe because of injury to a player or maybe next season but right now he is filling a backup role.   He is learned from those around him what it means to be a major leaguer.  I know he has some exposure to  MLB from his dad but there is nothing like being there himself.  I am sure he is not complaining about where he is.

Wow, you really are hook line and sinker rah rah boy now, aren't you? 

Please explain how a below replacement level player was really helping us in July? 

Do you not understand that we can and should improve this team when possible? 

Do you not understand that Vavra is an actual prospect?

I'll be honest, this kind of post belongs on our message board group where fanboys and girls flame anything that doesn't show everything in bright perfect orange lights.

Vavra should be playing over Odor or playing everyday in AAA with Martin riding the pine behind Hyde's wonder boy.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say it’s the opposite.   I doubt some computer is saying Odor is better than Vavra.   It’s more like the O’s don’t want to play a brand-new rookie over a well-respected veteran who is a key part of the clubhouse chemistry during a streak when the team has been playing extremely well, even if the stats say that Odor’s on the field play is not the reason the team has been winning.   If the team was playing .400 baseball in July you’d probably see it handled differently.  

Ah, the good 'ol veteranosity move.  Sorry, it's dumb. Odor does not need to be playing.  He can be just a good rah rah guy on the bench. Odor is literally a below average, below replacement level player who should not be starting anywhere in the major leagues. He'll get a key hit here and there or make a nice turn on a DP, but so will other players who should be playing over him.

I don't buy at all. Playing a bad player because the team is winning with said player is not a good move when you have another potentially better player on the roster.

But again, my main issue is if you want a bench warmer, bring up Martin.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Wow, you really are hook line and sinker rah rah boy now, aren't you? 

Please explain how a below replacement level player was really helping us in July? 

Do you not understand that we can and should improve this team when possible? 

Do you not understand that Vavra is an actual prospect?

I'll be honest, this kind of post belongs on our message board group where fanboys and girls flame anything that doesn't show everything in bright perfect orange lights.

Vavra should be playing over Odor or playing everyday in AAA with Martin riding the pine behind Hyde's wonder boy.

Well you have your opinion and I have mine.   You are all about the future and I am about the present.   Especially with the O's driving for a playoff spot.   Hyde has them thinking they can make the playoffs.    They are playing like they believe they can.   I am right with them.

4 minutes ago, TheWall said:

Urias has the best OPS on the team and is absolutely on fire. There 0 reason for him to be batting 8th. 

Who do  you swap him with if keeping a balanced lineup is something you're looking at (it clearly is for Hyde)?  You going to bat Hays 8th, Mancini?  We have a deep lineup for the first time in ages, I'm glad someone like Urias isn't batting cleanup - he would have been a couple years ago.  A hitter like Urias batting down in the lineup is a GOOD thing.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Ah, the good 'ol veteranosity move.  Sorry, it's dumb. Odor does not need to be playing.  He can be just a good rah rah guy on the bench. Odor is literally a below average, below replacement level player who should not be starting anywhere in the major leagues. He'll get a key hit here and there or make a nice turn on a DP, but so will other players who should be playing over him.

I don't buy at all. Playing a bad player because the team is winning with said player is not a good move when you have another potentially better player on the roster.

I think you are being a little harsh but I definitely agree with your last sentence.  I'm just willing to give it a couple more days before crushing Hyde for not playing him.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hyde made a point that he values Vavra left-handed bat off the bench.   Martin does not fit that criteria.

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Who do  you swap him with if keeping a balanced lineup is something you're looking at (it clearly is for Hyde)?  You going to bat Hays 8th, Mancini?  We have a deep lineup for the first time in ages, I'm glad someone like Urias isn't batting cleanup - he would have been a couple years ago.  A hitter like Urias batting down in the lineup is a GOOD thing.

I will not be surprised to see Urias moved up in the order if he keep hitting.

57 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Odor batting in front of Urias is a travesty. Bad management.

it doesn't look like he wants to stack righties together so Odor goes in the middle of 2 righties then 2 righties.  Many times managers try not to stack one side of the plate in a row.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well you have your opinion and I have mine.   You are all about the future and I am about the present.   Especially with the O's driving for a playoff spot.   Hyde has them thinking they can make the playoffs.    They are playing like they believe they can.   I am right with them.

Not sure what world you live in where the present is better with a below replacement level player playing everyday. 

If Hyde thinks the team is better playing the veteran who in everyday is below average, then he's not the manager of the future of here for sure because he's playing the invisible veternosity move over the better player because he happens to be a rookie. 

Odor:

rWAR: -0.1
fWAR: 0.0
wOBa: .280 (MLB Avg .315)
xwOBa: .268 so he's actually been lucky to be as bad as he's been
OAA: -5
Batting/base running combined (fan graphs): -7.6

Yep, definitely the guy a contender should be playing everyday.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hyde made a point that he values Vavra left-handed bat off the bench.   Martin does not fit that criteria.

So you start a worse player so you can have a rookie as a pinch hitter, something he's never really done. Genius!

6 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think you are being a little harsh but I definitely agree with your last sentence.  I'm just willing to give it a couple more days before crushing Hyde for not playing him.

I'm not crushing Hyde, I just think it's worrisome. When managers get too close to their players they start playing their favorite veterans instead of the better player. 

Now maybe the Orioles have decided that Vavra is just a bench player and then I get it, but I have hard time looking at what Odor has done this year and what Vavra has done in AAA and think why not give him a shot. Odor is the only weak link in the starting lineup right now and they have a potential replacement on the roster.