Trey Mancini Traded to the Astros

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, Daddy-O's said:

He was replaced him with Yusniel Diaz, yes they are punting.  

No, they're not punting. Diaz is the guy they promoted in the corresponding move. That doesn't mean Diaz replaces him in the lineup. If anything, Vavra replaces Mancini against righties, and Diaz is the weak side of a platoon against lefties.

The posters saying the team is punting don't have a good grasp on what's happening with these moves. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Daddy-O's said:

I would equate punting more with trading Lyles and/or Santander. If they deal Santander you could maybe say that, but there's still the question as to whether or not it's the right move for the franchise over the next 4-6 years. 

Given where they are now vs. when Elias took over, I'm good with giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Probably PR/GM speak…but it is possible depending on other factors.

I think that's more to placate the portion of the fan base that is player based and loves themselves the players vs the production. It's hard for me to imagine a situation where the Orioles would need a one dimensional right-handed DH next year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

Diaz took Trey's roster spot, but the ABs will likely be spread around between a few different guys.

I don't think it's too crazy to think that a Vavra/Diaz platoon could replicate most of Trey's .750 OPS. Both guys have shown solid on-base skills during their minors careers.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah, one of those factors being there are no good 1B or DH bopper prospects on the farm. Plenty of infielders and outfielders, but no one you really have to hide at DH. You can make the case for:

Mullins - CF
Rutschman - C
Mancini - DH
Stowers - RF
Hays - LF
Mountcastle - 1B
Henderson - 3B
Urias/Westburg - 2B
Mateo - SS

Vavra in the mix somewhere potentially. 

Elias doesn't want the DH held down by one player. He wants to use it to rotate guys around and to give regulars a day off from the field but keeps their bat in the lineup. Plus, Rutschman needs a place to hit occasionally on a day off.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Did we really "punt" the season by trading a DH with a .750 OPS and 10 home runs? 

As for Johnson being 25 before he pitches again, see Tyler Wells on how that could turn out?

Solomon comes with enough high side that I like this deal. I'm less enthused about Diaz being recalled, but let's see how the rest of this trading deadline works out. 

I still think Santander is going to go.

There’s more to baseball than what shows up in the box score. Taking out your clubhouse leader on a team that is collectively outperforming the sum of its parts feels like we’re punting on the season, yes. Hopefully I’m wrong, but that’s what it looks like.

Sure, Tyler Wells is a nice story, and hopefully he turns out that way. I wouldn’t punt this season on that chance though. Like I said, the return was more than I expected. I don’t think you can fault the return, just the decision to sell to begin with.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Elias doesn't want the DH held down by one player. He wants to use it to rotate guys around and to give regulars a day off from the field but keeps their bat in the lineup. Plus, Rutschman needs a place to hit occasionally on a day off.

Good point about Adley. Forgot that he'll eat up a fair amount of DH starts. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

On a nerdy note, how about the O's finally participating in a 3-team deal? Lol... I've been wanting to see that for like over a decade. We're never involved in creative trades, so it's fun to finally see one. 

@Sports Guyhad to find a quiet, secret place where no one could see him after hearing there was a 3-team deal involving the Orioles at the trade deadline.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think that's more to placate the portion of the fan base that is player based and loves themselves the players vs the production. It's hard for me to imagine a situation where the Orioles would need a one dimensional right-handed DH next year.

Especially when Rutschman is going to be a part time DH when he’s not catching. I imagine the DH spot is going to be used as a rotating spot to give position players a rest, while keeping their bat in the lineup. 

Also to game the lineup to take advantage of pitching matchups. There’s no reason for a team of limited payroll to sign a DH to play 150 games a season no matter how popular Mancini is with the fans including me. 

• Upvote 1

Red Sox in Houston tonight, and breaking Astros have gotten Christian Vazquez.

Bo Porter on the spot had the anecdote he had Astros Bud Norris in Baltimore the day that deal closed, and he just sent him over to Buck.

We'll see if Dusty puts Vazquez in lineup tonight.

Trey Mancini and Christian Vazquez are now teammates.   Baseball!

This is a GREAT trade.  Mancini has been my favorite O's over the past few years, so I'm sad to see him go in that light, but for the organization, this is great.  If you'd told me we were getting 2 top 10 players from 2 of the top organizations in MLB for a couple months of a struggling Trey I'd have thought you were crazy.  Yet here we are.  Hard to judge any trade that includes minor league players for a few year until you see how they turn out, but on paper this was a very good trade for us.

And for those who think this is punting on this season, I think your fandom is making you view Trey as a much more impactful player that he really was.  His production with the bat this year won't be incredibly hard to replace and I think all the PR/leadership/chemistry stuff is almost ALWAYS overrated, so I don't give it much credibility.  

I wish him the best of luck, except when he plays us of course.  

• Upvote 4