Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sorry, I didn’t see your subsequent posts when I made my post.  I had my eyes dilated this afternoon, and I’m still having a bit of trouble reading stuff.  I share your opinion that Povich was probably the lead piece of the trade.  I couldn’t guess how the other three were ranked.  I think calling Cano an afterthought or a throw-in is too strong though.  Anyway, I’m happy we got him. 

I have zero doubt he liked Cano and wanted him..which is why I have said I believe he could have easily dealt for Cano in a different trade.

And when I say a throw in, in no way am I saying he didn’t value him. They value everyone they acquire, no matter how big or little.  But I don’t believe he was the main piece and I don’t believe he was even the secondary piece. I think the one DR guy (can’t remember which one off the top of my head) was the second piece.

We also have to remember that the team paid around 500k towards the deal for Lopez. That could have easily been them buying Cano.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have zero doubt he liked Cano and wanted him..which is why I have said I believe he could have easily dealt for Cano in a different trade.

And when I say a throw in, in no way am I saying he didn’t value him. They value everyone they acquire, no matter how big or little.  But I don’t believe he was the main piece and I don’t believe he was even the secondary piece. I think the one DR guy (can’t remember which one off the top of my head) was the second piece.

We also have to remember that the team paid around 500k towards the deal for Lopez. That could have easily been them buying Cano.

Thump... Thump... Is this mic on? Thump..

Uhhh... unaccustomed as I am to public speaking..  I have to rise in defense of SG's position in this thread... (even though he now appears to be wavering in his conviction)

I made a statement a short time after the trade... That is was a good trade.. As I thought Lopez was turned over at peak value..... and that Cano would be much better than his MLB stats would indicate. I based this largely on a SSS of MLB, and some very encouraging MILB stats... coupled with some writeups.

I made that statement though, because the consensus HERE seemed to be that Povich was the real value, and that Cano was a lesser piece.

This is just how I recall things unfolding...

I don't care enough about it to be drawn into a long exchange on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this....

Just saw on ESPN that Jorge Lopez was placed in the IL for "Mental Health"....I'm assuming it's related to his being ineffective because ESPN also showed his recent stats as part of the news flash....

Meanwhile, Cano (yes, I know he's giving up more solid contact lately) is doing much better, so based on the past 4 and half months of baseball (last two months of last year and the first 2 and a half this year), we definitely got the better of that deal.

4 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Bumping this....

Just saw on ESPN that Jorge Lopez was placed in the IL for "Mental Health"....I'm assuming it's related to his being ineffective because ESPN also showed his recent stats as part of the news flash....

Meanwhile, Cano (yes, I know he's giving up more solid contact lately) is doing much better, so based on the past 4 and half months of baseball (last two months of last year and the first 2 and a half this year), we definitely got the better of that deal.

Why did you put mental health in quotes?

I'll wait here while you explain.

3 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Bumping this....

Hey man I love to joke, but Lopez’s kid has had a ton of very serious health issues. You never know the hard stuff people are going through. I don’t think we should joke about his mental health. Not tying to be judgy, just little kid health stuff is a bummer. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Are you honestly suggesting that if Lopez was suffering from a pulled hamstring they would have said Jorge Lopez was placed in the IL for a "Pulled Hamstring"?

Yes, I am.   That would be very pertinent information.

Do you really believe he put the words in quotations to try to  harm or mock people who suffer mental illnesses?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why did you put mental health in quotes?

I'll wait here while you explain.

It's what it said....I quoted it.  As in, I wasn't making up words.  Isn't that what you do when you literally quote someone?  "Quote", "End Quote."

Sorry you waited so long for a reply, but what you're implying is insulting and really uncalled for.  You should kind of know better, or is it just easy to bully someone?  Really sad, my friend.

I'm not the kind of person you were thinking.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Yes, I am.   That would be very pertinent information.

Do you really believe he put the words in quotations to try to  harm or mock people who suffer mental illnesses?

Thank you for at least understanding and defending my update.  I'm insulted that question was even asked the way it was.  (I had not seen your replies before replying myself).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Thank you for at least understanding and defending my update.  I'm insulted that question was even asked the way it was.  (I had not seen your replies before replying myself).

I find it shockingly ironic that this was posted by someone called “Sanity Check.”

No harm or offense intended towards anyone… just observing.

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Hey man I love to joke, but Lopez’s kid has had a ton of very serious health issues. You never know the hard stuff people are going through. I don’t think we should joke about his mental health. Not tying to be judgy, just little kid health stuff is a bummer. 

Sorry sir, I wasn't joking about anything.  I was providing an update.  There was no smiley face.  

WTF people?  Why do people assume everyone on here is an A-hole.  I have a lot of friends in Minnesota and have done their fantasy camp 5 of the past 6 years, I was pulling for Jorge Lopez, and for my friends' team....there was no ill will in my post.

People need to lighten up, man.  Is this really who we are???

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

It's what it said....I quoted it.  As in, I wasn't making up words.  Isn't that what you do when you literally quote someone?  "Quote", "End Quote."

Sorry you waited so long for a reply, but what you're implying is insulting and really uncalled for.  You should kind of know better, or is it just easy to bully someone?  Really sad, my friend.

I'm not the kind of person you were thinking.

I'm not bullying, I'm wondering why you decided to use a quote to describe an injury.

You didn't quote the whole passage such as "Jorge Lopez was placed in the IL for Mental Health".  You just decided to use quotes for the injury. 

I think you should "know better" as using quotations in that manner can have a variety of different meanings.

If you are going to tell me that you would have used quotes to describe an injury such as a hamstring pull, I'll believe you.  But don't pretend that your statement wasn't open to misinterpretation or that I was the only one to question it.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Confused 1