Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

I am not a big fan of this trade.  Povich might be more projectable with added velocity, but he was a preseason 40 FV guy and he's probably not much more than a 40+ or 45 right now.  We have 1 28 year old roster filler, and 2 lottery tickets.  I feel like we could have gotten a bit more heralded prospect for Lopez.  Maybe get a 45+ or a lower-end 50 FV prospect.

The flip side to this is that maybe Elias targeted guys they like and these guys are the ones that he judged to be most likely to help in the future.  That's a fair take, but the only response i have to that is that Elias et al better not be wrong about this.

Edited by Hallas

15 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

Just chatting with a Twins fan.  Thinks it was a fair deal.  We do have lottery tickets but if one works out it will be fine.  Lopez isn't guaranteed to continue this and the Orioles still have Bautista.  O's got 4 players for a rule 5 guy.  Not bad.

I like Povich as part of this deal. He's a bit more than a lottery ticket. Cano to me seems like someone they think they can get a couple years out of in the pen, I'm not sure there's much upside there given his age, but could be some utility. 

The other two are certainly lottery tickets. I don't love this deal, but I am okay with it. I don't see it as a bad deal and I do love the fact Elias is clearly targeting pitching. 

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Can't cast aspersions on Dominican lottery tickets but Nunez is too old for the complex league at 21, Rojas is at least age appropriate (18) and having success in the complex league.

Felix Bautista was in the DSL when he was 22

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Scouting grades: Fastball 50 | Curveball 45 | Slider 45 | Changeup 55 | Control 50 | Overall 40 

Every now and then I see scouting grades like this and I must confess to being confused by them.  It seems strange to me to have grades between 45 and 55 in every individual category, yet somehow receive a 40 grade overall.  Doesn't seem to add up.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Hypothetical question: if it had been announced this morning that Jorge Lopez was experiencing forearm tightness and was being shut down, would people be saying that that meant the season was over?

No.  The season wouldn't be over but the chances, as small as they were to begin with, would take a significant hit.   The real key is what were the chances with a healthy Jorge Lopez.   Not good.