DL Hall to the pen now?

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

With Lopez’s departure spreading our bullpen mix a bit thin, I’m wondering if now’s the time to bring up DL Hall and have him finish the year in the major league bullpen.   He probably doesn’t have enough innings left in the season to play out the whole year as a starter, so this could be a way to expose him to the majors, help solve a bullpen depth problem for the rest of this season and position him to audition for a rotation spot next spring.   Thoughts?

He has pitched 1 2/3 innings in the last two weeks, so maybe he has more innings then you think left 

Edited by Going Underground

8 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

It would be more about getting his feet wet in the majors.  Can't expect him to come in next year and immediately dominate.  Get him up with the team and get him acclimated and ready for next year.

And don't send down Vespi.  Send down Sulser.  

Then you have him up here as a starter. If your goal is for him to be a ML sp next year, you keep developing him as such. 

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

Then you have him up here as a starter. If your goal is for him to be a ML sp next year, you keep developing him as such. 

He's going to hit his inning cap either way.  I don't see why it would impede his progress to get those innings starting in the minors instead of the bullpen in the majors.

If anything It would help.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's going to hit his inning cap either way.  I don't see why it would impede his progress to get those innings starting in the minors instead of the bullpen in the majors.

If anything It would help.

Exactly, he’s going to hit his innings cap regardless. But if you turn him into a reliever you change his routine, and he loses the learning experience of getting through a lineup more then once. Again I don’t think you change halls development plan to provide cover for the ml bullpen.

if you think him being up here is the most beneficial for his development, then you probably do it with someone like Voth piggybacking 

• Upvote 1

Whether he’s a starter or a reliever, I expect Hall to throw 2-4 innings an outing.

If you want to keep the starter mentality and have him be an opener, that’s fine.  Or if you just want him to get 4-6 starts and shut him down, that’s fine too.

But get him up here.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

With Lopez’s departure spreading our bullpen mix a bit thin, I’m wondering if now’s the time to bring up DL Hall and have him finish the year in the major league bullpen.   He probably doesn’t have enough innings left in the season to play out the whole year as a starter, so this could be a way to expose him to the majors, help solve a bullpen depth problem for the rest of this season and position him to audition for a rotation spot next spring.   Thoughts?

Makes too much sense.  😉

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do you mean as a full scale bullpen arm? Pitching 1 inning one night then coming back in 2 nights for 2 innings like a regular reliever? Or scheduled outings every 4th or 5th day to simulate still be in the rotation?

1 hour ago, mlrhode said:

Do you mean as a full scale bullpen arm? Pitching 1 inning one night then coming back in 2 nights for 2 innings like a regular reliever? Or scheduled outings every 4th or 5th day to simulate still be in the rotation?

I’m thinking more like an Akin-type.  

• Upvote 1