Will the Orioles eventually increase payroll significantly?

tinman

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Astros were already actively ramping up by this point.

I'd feel better about the O's situation if they were locking up young players.

Will be interesting to see what they do on locking up young players over the next couple of years.  

15 minutes ago, deward said:

Like I said, that isn't the sort of fan experience that I'm looking for. I'm more likely to check out than I am to get used to it.

Everyone keeps comparing the Houston rebuild to this rebuild - Houston bottomed out their payroll for a couple of years, but quickly built it back up to the fringes of the top 10. They let Correa walk, but they paid out to keep Altuve, Bregman, and Verlander. That's a model I can live with.

Understand something: the Astros had $388 mm in revenue last year.  The O’s have never had revenue much more than $250 mm.   We won’t be running Astros-level payrolls.   

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Understand something: the Astros had $388 mm in revenue last year.  The O’s have never had revenue much more than $250 mm.   We won’t be running Astros-level payrolls.   

The $251 mm the O's took in for the 2021 season would have looked a bit better if they had been good enough to draw fans like the Astros did (820k vs 2 mm)

6 hours ago, deward said:

The $251 mm the O's took in for the 2021 season would have looked a bit better if they had been good enough to draw fans like the Astros did (820k vs 2 mm)

Sure, but the O’s gate receipts topped out at $56 mm a few years ago and were at $20 mm last year, about 13% of the Astros’ $152 mm.   Houston has a ton of wealthy people and corporations willing to shell out for luxury boxes and premium seating.  Their revenue per ticket sold is much higher than the O’s.

The expansion of the playoffs has really help smaller market and small payroll teams. Back when there were 2, 4 or even 8 playoff teams the advantage went to the big market teams. It's very difficult to win 100 games (which is what it often takes to win the pennant) being a small market team. 

Now you have teams who win 88 games and they get a chance in the postseason.