Terrin Vavra Bandwagon

Filmstudy

39 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

cough cough ... Odor... cough cough 

Is there an echo in the room?

Even in this small sample size Vavra shows so much more value than Odor.  Vavra's defense at 2B has to be absolutley terrible to justify Odor playing over him (which I doubt is the case).

6 hours ago, yark14 said:

Even in this small sample size Vavra shows so much more value than Odor.  Vavra's defense at 2B has to be absolutley terrible to justify Odor playing over him (which I doubt is the case).

I wonder if the reporters will ever ask Hyde why Vavra isn’t playing everyday at 2B.

Edited by Roll Tide

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'd sure like to know. But it would only get a sideways answer.

Here is his scouting report from MLB. I don’t think he profiles as a utility player.

Vavra profiles best at second but also showed well in center field in a small sample last summer. He’s likely to move around at the highest level rather than settle at one position, profiling as an offensive-minded utility type who hits his way into the lineup every day. 

• Upvote 1

I think you're right. And he's making it impossible to keep his bat on the bench.

And his performance is going to make it easy to do what Hyde was reluctant to do.

It's much easier to say "sorry Odor, but I gotta go with the hot bat... he's tearing the cover off the ball"... than it is to say "You're not very good at the baseball Odor, so I gotta replace you with this untested kid".

Even if it's true.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think you're right. And he's making it impossible to keep his bat on the bench.

And his performance is going to make it easy to do what Hyde was reluctant to do.

It's much easier to say "sorry Odor, but I gotta go with the hot bat... he's tearing the cover off the ball"... than it is to say "You're not very good at the baseball Odor, so I gotta replace you with this untested kid".

Even if it's true.

It’s a necessary thing on a rebuilding club to turn over the roster by clearing the replacement level players with the kids.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, yark14 said:

They may be trying to avoid injury with Vavra. 

Odor is an automatic out 80 percent of the time. He is negative dWAR. He is the only blemish on the line up right now. Most painful ABs to watch right now (mountcastle a close 2nd)

I'm okay with putting him on the bench and limiting to PH role and maybe catching a hot streak later in the year, but if we want to push for the WC, he needs to be out of the line up before all these AL east games coming up 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Here is his scouting report from MLB. I don’t think he profiles as a utility player.

Why not? It seems like the O’s view him that way not to mention with all the other quality MIF guys coming up there won’t be many other options.

I saw Vavra play a lot when he was with the Tourists. We live in Asheville. He played a lot of SS early in his career when Asheville was a Rockies affiliate. It was clear that he could hit. It was also clear that he didn't have the arm to play SS. The kid is a baseball rat who loves the game and understands the mental side of hitting. He was one of the best players on the Tourists and a really nice kid. I'm not surprised he's doing well with the O's.

1 hour ago, survivedc said:

Why not? It seems like the O’s view him that way not to mention with all the other quality MIF guys coming up there won’t be many other options.

How can he be a super utility guy that can’t play 3B, SS, or a solid 2B (if that’s a reality)?