Terrin Vavra Bandwagon

Filmstudy

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

How can he be a super utility guy that can’t play 3B, SS, or a solid 2B (if that’s a reality)? 

That’s just it, it’s not a reality, it’s an idea that was literally manufactured on this forum on this exact page of the thread. He’s acquitted himself well at 2B in the minors as far as standard stats go. I would say being able to play 4/5 positions (including 1B) slots you into a super utility role.

The highest batting average among our regulars is Cedric Mullins at .263.  The highest OBP among the regulars is Rutschman at .356 followed by Santander at .339.  Home runs are great, but they're even better with runners on base.  Vavra hit over .300 in the minors with a high OBP walking almost as much as he struck out. He gets on base.  I don't understand how you can justify keeping him out of the lineup right now.   

I love what the AB's Vavra has been having so far but let's be honest.  Eventually, he has to pull a few doubles and even a homer now and then.   He's not going to hit .444 and get on base on a .600 clip forever.    I think he's going to be good but I'm hoping to see him pull for some power in the next week or so.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I love what the AB's Vavra has been having so far but let's be honest.  Eventually, he has to pull a few doubles and even a homer now and then.   He's not going to hit .444 and get on base on a .600 clip forever.    I think he's going to be but I'm hoping to see him pull for some power in the next week or so.

I think this is who he is. Vavra does have 1 2B in 6 hits this year, but he's not going to hit many HR's. He has 7 HR in his last 447 PA's covering a few levels in the minors.

Its just so unfortunate that he is seen as a OF only by Hyde/ Elias. As long as Vavra keeps getting on base though they have to keep him in the lineup.

9 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I think this is who he is. Vavra does have 1 2B in 6 hits this year, but he's not going to hit many HR's. He has 7 HR in his last 447 PA's covering a few levels in the minors.

Its just so unfortunate that he is seen as a OF only by Hyde/ Elias. As long as Vavra keeps getting on base though they have to keep him in the lineup.

I think he's a 10-15 homer guy with 30-40 doubles type of hitter.   With a good OBP that's plenty good enough wherever you put him, IMO.

3 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I saw Vavra play a lot when he was with the Tourists. We live in Asheville. He played a lot of SS early in his career when Asheville was a Rockies affiliate. It was clear that he could hit. It was also clear that he didn't have the arm to play SS. The kid is a baseball rat who loves the game and understands the mental side of hitting. He was one of the best players on the Tourists and a really nice kid. I'm not surprised he's doing well with the O's.

I live up in Henderson County. I remember seeing him in 2019 at the Tourists game and thinking he was pretty good. I forget if he was leading off, but he was in the top of the lineup for sure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Where does the bolded part keep coming from? Have they said so somewhere? He played mostly 2B in the minors and was error free doing so in 2021. 

21 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I love what the AB's Vavra has been having so far but let's be honest.  Eventually, he has to pull a few doubles and even a homer now and then.   He's not going to hit .444 and get on base on a .600 clip forever.    I think he's going to be good but I'm hoping to see him pull for some power in the next week or so.

OK, I will be honest.  If Vavra keeps his OBP at .400 they will fine a place for him to play even its only DH.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

OK, I will be honest.  If Vavra keeps his OBP at .400 they will fine a place for him to play even its only DH.

No disagreement there but I do think he'll need to show he can turn on some pitches in order to do that.  He's pulled some pitches but he hasn't really driven anything yet.  If ML pitchers sense they can't be hurt by coming inner half, they'll pound him in there constantly.  And they'll be more aggressive in the strike zone.

19 hours ago, survivedc said:

Where does the bolded part keep coming from? Have they said so somewhere? He played mostly 2B in the minors and was error free doing so in 2021. 

He hasn't gotten any time at 2B in the majors, so folks think Hyde/Elias don't like him there.

Vavra apparently carrying his hot hitting from the minors straight into the majors is an interesting development. I don't think Elias was ready for it. Not really an issue as long as Hays is hurt but will be interesting to see how the play it. Odor is the obvious target but Mountcastle has been pretty awful lately, and we just don't know what Urias and Matteo will do as the season wears on. I could see them starting Vavra as a DH/super sub allowing basically anyone other than Adley to rest, then eventually replacing the weakest link.

Ted Williams wishes he started his career like Vavra has. 

Both players' first names start with Te and their last names start with end of the alphabet letters. Coincidence? I think not.

We're looking at a future all time great, little doubt about it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1