Shortstops, shortstops everywhere

Frobby

I think it will take a ton of pressure from a prospect to push Mateo off of SS anytime soon. I think it was Keith Law who recently said Henderson could potentially play 3B like Machado so I am good with him slotting in next to Mateo. I would guess Ortiz is the next regular starter at SS after Mateo if an injury or trade forces that to happen. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

- Jorge Mateo has been worth 2.3 rWAR in 105 games and his bat has been coming on of late.  

- Gunnar Henderson is considered a top 10 prospect by many sources and has split his time between SS and 3B about equally.

- Jordan Westburg is slumping a bit right now but has had a solid system switching between SS, 2B and 3B.

- Joey Ortiz had a slow start this season but has destroyed AA the last five weeks and is considered the best defender at SS in our system.  

- We just drafted high school SS phenomenal Jackson Holliday at 1:1.   He figures to start at Delmarva next year and move fast.   

- We also paid a large overslot bonus to SS Carter Young to lure him from transferring from Vanderbilt to LSU.

It’s going to be fascinating to see how this logjam at SS sorts itself out over the next 1-4 years.   

Wasn't it Earl who said: Get as many shortstops as you can and figure it out later.

• Upvote 2

Elias has been stockpiling assets at keep positions to make a trade in the future and also adding pitching through trades or international signings.   This is started to mirror the Astros tear down and rebuild to constant contender even while some players will leave ie Correa, Springer.  The fact he didn’t want to give up prospects now shows he wants to keep his assets for when they are recalling a World Series contender.

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

And don't forget Darrell Hernaiz, only 21 years old, OPS over .800 at Aberdeen.  Has some power and some speed.  He's playing SS regularly at Aberdeen; not sure if he will stay there.  

It's a nice problem to have.  If you start at SS, there's plenty of places for you to shift down the defensive spectrum.  

I'm sure you can transition one to catcher.  I've heard how easy it is.

Competition is a good thing.  All the quality players will push each other and the cream will rise to the top.  I see a lot of rotating IFs to various positions at each and every level like they’ve been doing with Gunnar & Westburg. Unreal the amount of talent in the organization right now.