Odor isn't going anywhere

accinfo

I was going to post the below...

I watched the game and have read the comments/seen the highlights, and -- for the record -- I counted three plays (not two) where Odor didn't help things. Maybe I am being too critical, but these are the plays where my brow furrows:

1. Bottom 4th: Poor baserunning trying to get to 3rd. (Os did score 1 this inning but...)
  2. Top 6th: Error credited to Odor on relay throw home (from Santander) that was well off the mark - great chance for out at the plate
  3. Top 9th: Error credited to Odor on airmail over Mountcastle, allowing the runner to advance to second with only 1 out

...but, gall-darn it, it was worth it all to hear honest comments from Ben and Kevin in the later innings about how he's dangling by a thread but comes through with the bat just enough.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hyde said after the game that be really likes Odor’s defense (especially on the DP) and his combativeness. The defensive stats don’t show him to be that good but he does turn the DP extremely well and has a strong arm.  And you can’t question the combativeness.   The guy may screw up but he keeps fighting and doesn’t hang his head.  And that has rubbed off on the younger guys.  I’d be very surprised if Odor is brought back next year but I agree that it’s unlikely he’s going to be cut at any point this year.   At most he might lose some playing time down the stretch if the O’s bring up another infielder and send down Nevin.  

Perfectly said. Odor is without a doubt not getting DFA'd this year but I do think when Stowers comes up and definitely if they bring up Henderson. he goes to the bench.

34 minutes ago, AdamK said:

I watched the game and have read the comments/seen the highlights, and -- for the record -- I counted three plays (not two) where Odor didn't help things. Maybe I am being too critical, but these are the plays where my brow furrows:

1. Bottom 4th: Poor baserunning trying to get to 3rd. (Os did score 1 this inning but...)
  2. Top 6th: Error credited to Odor on relay throw home (from Santander) that was well off the mark - great chance for out at the plate
  3. Top 9th: Error credited to Odor on airmail over Mountcastle, allowing the runner to advance to second with only 1 out

...but, gall-darn it, it was worth it all to hear honest comments from Ben and Kevin in the later innings about how he's dangling by a thread but comes through with the bat just enough.

I said the same thing in the game thread last night. Kevin and Ben were outstanding last night. They are the cream of the crop of our announcer teams.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This year. It would be quite surprising if he's still here in the spring.

I'd be surprised, too.  But the clamoring for Henderson is getting obnoxious.  Either he gets called up after the 23rd or not at all.  But no one who follows this team closely can be surprised that Elias would hold him back to get another year of service time. 

48 minutes ago, AdamK said:

So I didn't stay up for the game, but saw the final and read this thread.   Turned on the TV and they were in the 8th inning of the replay so I decided to watch.   

Right after Odor hit the HR, Ben says something like "No one remembers that other stuff about Odor now".  Clearly Ben does not visit the hangout.   Haha. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I said the same thing in the game thread last night. Kevin and Ben were outstanding last night. They are the cream of the crop of our announcer teams.

They're quickly developing a Gary/Jim report and it's great to listen to.

Also, I had to laugh at Ben's rather bold comment about wanting to give up on Odor sometimes until he pulls you back in. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AdamK said:

Just to be fair and complete, he also participated in a couple nifty DPs last night too.   Which is clearly a strength.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Just to be fair and complete, he also participated in a couple nifty DPs last night too.   Which is clearly a strength.

True. He did last night and does contribute to those many nights.

And yet, I find it hard to beleive since he seems to struggle on his own put outs to first making the transfer from his glove to throwing hand cleanly. Almost as if the ball spins inside his glove hand making it hard to have clean throws/efficient throwing motions when hit directly to him (as oppoes to fed to him during the turn 2).

5 minutes ago, AdamK said:

True. He did last night and does contribute to those many nights.

And yet, I find it hard to beleive since he seems to struggle on his own put outs to first making the transfer from his glove to throwing hand cleanly. Almost as if the ball spins inside his glove hand making it hard to have clean throws/efficient throwing motions when hit directly to him (as oppoes to fed to him during the turn 2).

Yeah, it seems he's better in the rapid fire DP situation than when he has a half second to think about it.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree about the internal dynamics but just which “young” Orioles is he setting an example for?   I don’t think of Mullins, Hays, and even Rutschman  as players who need that lesson.   I do think there is a team dynamics in place that Hyde believes in but I also think he places great value in Odor’s ability to turn the DP and play shallow RF on the shift.

Hyde just said as much. He cited team defense as the most important reason the team is where they are.

And I agree he had those defensive attributes, although every advanced defensive metric rates him below average overall.   I think one reason Hyde likes his defense so much is that our defense there last year was putrid (Fangraphs ranked the O’s 29th of 30 teams at 2B defense), so Odor is a big improvement even though he’s below average himself. Hyde’s probably not in the mood to find out in August whether someone else would be better or worse.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be surprised, too.  But the clamoring for Henderson is getting obnoxious.  Either he gets called up after the 23rd or not at all.  But no one who follows this team closely can be surprised that Elias would hold him back to get another year of service time. 

I think it depends on how the team is doing in a few weeks.  If the Orioles are in a wildcard spot and Odor is hitting .190 and Nevin is still here it'll be harder and harder to justify keeping the #1 prospect down so they can have his last arb year in 2029.  The Orioles have about a 1% chance of winning the Series, but you can't really have a September playoff race where your 3rd, 6th, and 11th best players are not on the team because 2029.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And I agree he had those defensive attributes, although every advanced defensive metric rates him below average overall.   I think one reason Hyde likes his defense so much is that our defense there last year was putrid (Fangraphs ranked the O’s 29th of 30 teams at 2B defense), so Odor is a big improvement even though he’s below average himself. Hyde’s probably not in the mood to find out in August whether someone else would be better or worse.

The Orioles are 1st in the league in DP%, but I'm not convinced that is worth playing someone who's OPSing .620 and has below-average range.  Everyone has their biases and blind spots.  Hyde's TTP might be double play ability.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Perfectly said. Odor is without a doubt not getting DFA'd this year but I do think when Stowers comes up and definitely if they bring up Henderson. he goes to the bench.

I agree …which is why you don’t bring up Henderson to ride the pine instead of Nevin who isn’t getting a fair shake either. Nor Vavra who should’ve been handed the 2B job when he was recalled. Poor decision by Hyde and poor management by Elias for allowing it.