Kiley McDaniel: Five O’s prospects in midseason top 50

Frobby

It's kind of incredible to me that Mayo's getting this love.

Across 3 teams he has a .781 OPS this year. Now, that includes Aberdeen where nobody has hit (.821 OPS was good actually) and a cold stretch around an injury in Bowie. Still, he want from unrated to top 50 with those numbers.

That tells me that scouts are talking.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I'd be curious what they have to say (paraphrase or summary) about Cowser and Mayo.  Thanks in advance.

Mentioned how well Cowser has done and his stock is on the rise and if the power is real, that’s a big change for him.

And talked about Mayo’s big power.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure how copy pasting paywall blurbs go, so I can remove if it is against board rules:

Cowser: Cowser is arrow-up after a slow start to the season. After being promoted to Double-A, his isolated power almost doubled and he increased his walks and cut his strikeout rate. If this 34-game look is real, it would really change the projection for the lanky, hit-first center fielder.

Mayo: Things are going well on the farm for the Orioles -- they still have the top system even after graduating the top prospect in the game -- and Mayo is another prospect who's steadily improving. He was recently promoted to Double-A and is continuing to show 30-homer potential.

His blurbs really aren't anything special, the ones for the top 3 guys are stuff we all already know.  Interesting that he still has Volpe as his 3rd best prospect.

Edited by nvpacchi
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Any others in his top 100? Westburg, Stowers, Kjerstad, Ortiz?

He only did a top 50.  He said Westburg was our best prospect not listed, and also mentioned Cade Povich (acquired in the Lopez deal) as someone who could crack his year-end top 100 (between 76-125).   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

That tells me that scouts are talking.

Looking forward to this offseason's MASN video if someone will ask him about maxEV.   I bet Kiley has access to some of that stuff driving this placement.

Mayo one of the top examples for me right now of a minor league hitter where the regular Statcast stuff would be fun to have.    International League AAA Charlotte is equipped, and he'll probably have a week there next year.

Edited by Just Regular

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He only did a top 50.  He said Westburg was our best prospect not listed, and also mentioned Cade Povich (acquired in the Lopez deal) as someone who could crack his year-end top 100 (between 76-125).   

BA having Povich 29th is just criminal.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'm also being slow on Ortiz, but if he keeps this up and Tony's glowing reports about his defense are true, he's a top 100 guy regardless of whether the other publications are on that.

Just has to keep hitting. Hopefully this is all for real.

2 minutes ago, joelala said:

Is Mayo’s ceiling Aaron Judge? Is that an absurd comp assuming he makes the transition to RF full time?

You can compare him to the minor league version of Aaron Judge.   That was good but pretty ordinary.    You never know a guy like that is going to blow up as a ML player.    

1 hour ago, joelala said:

Is Mayo’s ceiling Aaron Judge? Is that an absurd comp assuming he makes the transition to RF full time?

It’s pretty absurd considering Judge has 80 power along with a solid hit tool.  Judge literally has the most HR in baseball since his first full year in MLB.  So no, I do not think it’s realistic to say Mayo has that ceiling.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s pretty absurd considering Judge has 80 power along with a solid hit tool.  Judge literally has the most HR in baseball since his first full year in MLB.  So no, I do not think it’s realistic to say Mayo has that ceiling.  

Well, ceiling means everything goes right.  Mayo has that level power, the size, age, etc…but let’s put it another way.  Mayo has the ceiling to be one of the best power hitters in baseball and potentially could be doing it a key defensive position.