Kyle Stowers called up

RVAOsFan

Given how Stowers improved his strikeout rate through the minors against increasingly difficult pitching, I have some faith that he has the ability to adjust and improve at the major league level as well.

I’m not going to panic after one 4 strikeout game. The struggles are bound to happen and almost necessary in his development.

I laugh at anyone who is going to judge him based on two games, especially since they likely did not watch a single game of his in the minors. 

Edited by ChuckS

To close the loop on Phillips, he does make it through waivers and accepted his assignment. In accepting the assignment he is owed $346M more. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/orioles-brett-phillips-clears-waivers-outright.html

Appears we pay about $400M+ for the right to stash him at AAA. He provided some insurance when it looked like Hays might be injured. When rosters expand he could be added back to be another defensive sub/LH bat. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

To close the loop on Phillips, he does make it through waivers and accepted his assignment. In accepting the assignment he is owed $346M more. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/orioles-brett-phillips-clears-waivers-outright.html

Appears we pay about $400M+ for the right to stash him at AAA. He provided some insurance when it looked like Hays might be injured. When rosters expand he could be added back to be another defensive sub/LH bat. 

You need to change your M to K.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Given how Stowers improved his strikeout rate through the minors against increasingly difficult pitching, I have some faith that he has the ability to adjust and improve at the major league level as well.

I’m not going to panic after one 4 strikeout game. The struggles are bound to happen and almost necessary in his development.

I laugh at anyone who is going to judge him based on two games, especially since they likely did not watch a single game of his in the minors. 

I agree with that, but Stowers' case is, I think, a little unusual. I haven't studied this, but it seems to me that when a team with playoff aspirations adds a player or two around the trade deadline, that player typically is either a high-salaried guy who can be counted on to help down the stretch or is a cheaper, veteran major leaguer who is caught in a numbers squeeze and/or has been beaten out by another player and whom the acquiring team thinks might help and is willing to roll the dice on. (I'm assuming there's no need to replace an injured starter, but a decision to improve the existing team for a late-season push.)

It's less common, I think, for a team to seek that improvement by promoting a minor league position player. Machado was an exception, but everyone knew he was an exceptional player who almost certainly would, in the worst case, provide outstanding defense and hit some homers at "old" Camden Yards. (In 2012, Manny OPSed .739 in 51 games. He hit 7 HRs, all at home.)

The Orioles first went the conventional route, albeit in an odd way, in what seemed to me, and many others, an odd way, by acquiring Phillips for a use that wasn't too clear. When that didn't work, they brought up Stowers. As a corner OFer, Stowers plays a position that is expected to provide offense, and he's been brought up late in a season to a team that is, at least in the view of its players, manager and many of its fans, making a run for the post-season. He's very likely to need time to adjust to ML pitching, especially guys who throw effective breaking balls. And he'll need to do that as a less-than-full-time player. 

Stowers' adjustment is coming under the unexpected bright lights of possible post-season contention (and numerous games against other contenders that have drawn and will continue to draw attention even if the Orioles fade), and so it's not surprising that fans would be impatient as he struggles through an adjustment period with that stuff going on. It doesn't mean that Stowers won't adjust, only that his adjustment is beginning at an inopportune  time.

Will the attention and pressure on Stowers make his adjustment harder? You got me.

45 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I agree with that, but Stowers' case is, I think, a little unusual. I haven't studied this, but it seems to me that when a team with playoff aspirations adds a player or two around the trade deadline, that player typically is either a high-salaried guy who can be counted on to help down the stretch or is a cheaper, veteran major leaguer who is caught in a numbers squeeze and/or has been beaten out by another player and whom the acquiring team thinks might help and is willing to roll the dice on. (I'm assuming there's no need to replace an injured starter, but a decision to improve the existing team for a late-season push.)

It's less common, I think, for a team to seek that improvement by promoting a minor league position player. Machado was an exception, but everyone knew he was an exceptional player who almost certainly would, in the worst case, provide outstanding defense and hit some homers at "old" Camden Yards. (In 2012, Manny OPSed .739 in 51 games. He hit 7 HRs, all at home.)

The Orioles first went the conventional route, albeit in an odd way, in what seemed to me, and many others, an odd way, by acquiring Phillips for a use that wasn't too clear. When that didn't work, they brought up Stowers. As a corner OFer, Stowers plays a position that is expected to provide offense, and he's been brought up late in a season to a team that is, at least in the view of its players, manager and many of its fans, making a run for the post-season. He's very likely to need time to adjust to ML pitching, especially guys who throw effective breaking balls. And he'll need to do that as a less-than-full-time player. 

Stowers' adjustment is coming under the unexpected bright lights of possible post-season contention (and numerous games against other contenders that have drawn and will continue to draw attention even if the Orioles fade), and so it's not surprising that fans would be impatient as he struggles through an adjustment period with that stuff going on. It doesn't mean that Stowers won't adjust, only that his adjustment is beginning at an inopportune  time.

Will the attention and pressure on Stowers make his adjustment harder? You got me.

Vavra seems to have adjusted to the majors right away.   He should be back soon and if he hits and Stowers struggles then Vavra may see more playing time.  Santander in right and Vavra at DH.

You say that Phillips didn't work.  I don't see it that way.  Elias paid 500K to get a speed outfielder to platoon with McKenna when Hays was hurt.   That  seems to have worked because the O's are now 12-7 (.632)  in August.  Certainly didn't hurt.

Now Phillips is backing up Mullins, Hays and McKenna  from AAA  in case there is an injury the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Orioles fans:  CALL UP STOWERS WE NEED SOMEONE TO JUMPSTART THE OFFENSE

Also Orioles fans:  THIS GUY STRIKES OUT TOO MUCH I DUNNO IF HE MAKES ENOUGH CONTACT WHATS HIS DEAL

And yet we recently had a thread about how great Os fans are and how they are the best in the league.