Is Hyde The Manager Moving Forward?

ORIOLE33

After the rebuilding phase is over, most teams go out and get an established manager. Now that expectations will be higher in 2023, how long do you see the Orioles rolling with Hyde? And I’m not hear saying that Hyde is a bad manager and I know he’s going to get a few manager of the year votes, but is he good enough to be at the helm of a team that’s expected to win? 

The players play hard for him.  He doesn't make bonehead moves very often.   I can't think of a reason to replace him in the near future.

Matter of fact I think ownership should lock up Elias/Sig/Holt/Hyde for the future before other teams come trying to steal them away.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 2

I think if you look at the rebuilding managers who get fired, the firing usually occurs before there’s been a big jump in the standings.  For example, Houston fired Bo Porter after two years of 51 and 59 wins and then the Astros won 86 games under Hinch the next year.  The Cubs hired Dale Sveum for two years at 61 and 66 wins, then Rick Renteria for a year of 73 wins before switching to Joe Maddon when the opportunity arose.  

There’s obviously no way Hyde gets replaced after this season.  The question is whether the O’s will stick with him if the team doesn’t take another step forward next year.  My guess is that the O’s will be in no hurry to change managers.   Hyde has seemed to be on the same page as Elias at all times and Elias has been extremely supportive of him.   The players clearly like him and play hard for him and never wavered during the hard times.   

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Not if you listen to twitterverse.  It’s astonishing how much crap he gets for every single little move and how people think he should be fired.

I don't know how anyone can really analyze Hyde's performance that deep. He's in the playoff hunt with a decent roster, but a roster that is not set up to be in the playoff hunt. Trading away two key pieces at the deadline, still rostering guys like Odor, Nevin and Chirinos, blindly throwing darts at a dartboard with the rotation hoping they stick.

Hyde gets a thumbs up grade for his job with the clubhouse. Everything other grade is TBD.

Edited by dzorange

1 minute ago, dzorange said:

I don't know how anyone can really analyze Hyde's performance that deep. He's in the playoff hunt with a decent roster, but a roster that is not set up to be in the playoff hunt. Trading away two key pieces at the deadline, still rostering guys like Odor, Nevin and Chirinos, blindly throwing darts at a dartboard with the rotation hoping they stick.

Hyde gets a thumbs up grade for his job with the clubhouse. Everything other grade is TBD.

Because people don’t take into account the relatively poor roster he is dealing with.

Hyde has succeeded this year with the least talented playoff contending team in the majors.  Does anyone in the O's starting rotation even make Houston's starting rotation?  I think there are several teams that wouldn't even add an O's starter to their rotation if available.  O's offense still lacks middle of the order presence most playoff teams have.  People complain about Hyde putting players like Odor and Nevin in the lineup, but he's got to play with the players that Elias sends him.  I'm sure if Hyde could be truthful, he would love to have Gunnar, Westburg and GrayRod on the team now. 

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Hyde has succeeded this year with the least talented playoff contending team in the majors.  Does anyone in the O's starting rotation even make Houston's starting rotation?  I think there are several teams that wouldn't even add an O's starter to their rotation if available.  O's offense still lacks middle of the order presence most playoff teams have.  People complain about Hyde putting players like Odor and Nevin in the lineup, but he's got to play with the players that Elias sends him.  I'm sure if Hyde could be truthful, he would love to have Gunnar, Westburg and GrayRod on the team now. 

I agree about Gunnar. Grayson is rehabbing so that won't work. Westburg would cause a logjam at his position. Might be time to trade some prospects for a proven rotation guy.

41 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I agree about Gunnar. Grayson is rehabbing so that won't work. Westburg would cause a logjam at his position. Might be time to trade some prospects for a proven rotation guy.

I don't think I'd sell off any of our prospects. There are guys at the MLB level like Santander, Mountcastle and Hays that I'd rather trade and open up the positions for prospects. Baltimore is likely targeting 2024 or 2025 as the year to go all in, anyways.

If Rodriguez has success at the MLB level, I'm absolutely cool with going into next year with a rotation of Wells, Lyles (exercising his option), Rodriguez, Kramer, and trying to sign a veteran like Joe Musgrove or someone else. Still have Bradish, Hall, Means (later in the year) and others to throw in when needed. I think it's too soon to make many major moves with the rotation. 2023 isn't the year to do it, unless the O's are just tearing it up by the trade deadline.

Edited by dzorange