8/28: Bad Baserunning And A Bullpen Failure

cboemmeljr

28 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I was surprised Mullins didn't try to score in the first, but after seeing Mateo get thrown out maybe that was the right play.

Mullins held up to make sure the ball wasn’t caught.  Once he did that there was no way he could have scored.

I'm not one to blame the officiating for a loss, but I'll be really interested to see the Umpire Scorecard Twitter account for this one. I counted at least half a dozen times when Phil Cuzzi gave the Astros pitcher a very generous strike two. The offense was not good, but the difference in batting average between a 3-1 count and a 2-2 count is massive, and the Orioles were constantly in the hole instead of up in the count.

Makes me smile O's fans are upset the O's did not sweep the best team in the AL in their park.  Even the Dodgers would have trouble doing that.  That said, this O's team is not a strong offensive team this year for well discussed reasons.  They seem to be ding pretty much everything else well right now, though.

13 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

I'm not one to blame the officiating for a loss, but I'll be really interested to see the Umpire Scorecard Twitter account for this one. I counted at least half a dozen times when Phil Cuzzi gave the Astros pitcher a very generous strike two. The offense was not good, but the difference in batting average between a 3-1 count and a 2-2 count is massive, and the Orioles were constantly in the hole instead of up in the count.

Well, there it is: 

A quarter of all the called strikes in this game were outside the strike zone, as MLB ponders why OBP continues to plummet.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the Mateo double. I want him using his speed at every occasion he can and I thought he was safe. My only gripe is he slid to the wrong side of the bag. That throw was a once in 10 chance for that CF. Mateo was trying to use his speed to make something happen. I don't think it was a bad decision.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Well, there it is: 

A quarter of all the called strikes in this game were outside the strike zone, as MLB ponders why OBP continues to plummet.

I was just gonna post this. The umpiring was really awful. Possibly the worst strike zone I've seen all year. Also Mateo was safe at third.

6 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the Mateo double. I want him using his speed at every occasion he can and I thought he was safe. My only gripe is he slid to the wrong side of the bag. That throw was a once in 10 chance for that CF. Mateo was trying to use his speed to make something happen. I don't think it was a bad decision.

He looked twice over his shoulder at the throw, too.  I thought he should have slid to the inside part of the bag as well.  Will have to watch again, but isn’t that what the 3b coach should telling him?