Can someone please explain what happened this season to the O's?

kidrock

5 hours ago, emmett16 said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/08/29/orioles-magic-secret-recipe

This kind of sums it up.   They have given up less walks & less home runs.  When they give up HRs there are fewer people on base.  When they don’t give up HRs the speed in the outfield and D up the middle catches the ball.  That plus a strong bullpen, the emergence of the Mountain as an unhittable closer, and Adley being Superman .  

great post. 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

25%.  

By the way, the Phillies’ offense also was down 260 runs in 1931 compared to 1930.   I looked to see if some structural changes were made to the Baker Bowl that year, but didn’t see anything.  

I think they messed with the ball.  The NL was significantly lower-scoring than the AL for most of the 1930s.  If I recall that correctly.

The numbers make it clear that improved run prevention is what's driving the O's success.  So the question is, why has run prevention improved.

Surely improved defense at SS and C has helped.  We had some of the worst catcher defense I've ever seen last year.  This year, Rutschman is outstanding and Chirinos is at least decent.  Mateo is playing Gold-Glove caliber defense. 

I personally think that most of the credit has to go to the pitching staff and the analytics department.  An unusual number of guys have made dramatic improvements year over year--Dean Kremer, Spencer Watkins, Dillon Tate, Keegan Akin, and guys who came over on waivers like Cionel Perez and Austin Voth.   The front office seems to be able identify guys with potentially good stuff but poor results, and the staff is able to get them to focus on what they do well and to learn new pitches as needed.  Holt and Holmes need to get big raises over the offseason to deter poaching from other clubs.