Fangraphs makes some remarkable claims about Gunnar Henderson. Say he is better than Adley.

Gurgi

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-orioles-are-now-gunnaring-for-a-wild-card-spot/

So just how good is Henderson? That’s a question that has shifted notably over the course of the minor league season. If you go back to the winter, he was considered an excellent prospect, ranking 66th in the FanGraphs Top 100 list and 53rd in the ZiPS Top 100. We weren’t outliers, either; among others, Keith Law at The Athletic and Baseball Prospectus also put him in their top 100s.

Henderson’s stock wasn’t poorly valued, but it shot up so quickly this year that you might think that it was a Reddit meme stonk like GameStop and AMC. Minor league translation printer goes brrr! Before the season, ZiPS only projected Henderson to amass 1.5 WAR in 2023 with a wRC+ of 87. We’ll get to that updated 2023 projection in a minute; let’s just say for now that it’s better.

The improvements made by Henderson in the minors this year were across the board, from power to plate discipline to defense. Combining his performances for Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk, you get an overall line of .297/.416/.531 with 19 homers and 22 stolen bases in 112 games. That would be enough to make him the best first base prospect in baseball, considering he didn’t turn 21 until late June, but as a player who can legitimately play shortstop, that’s the kind of performance that puts you in the ultra-elite category.

Those are meatier projections than Adley Rutschman’s at this time last year, and that’s certainly not damning with faint praise!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

That's not exactly what they are saying there.

I will say that given the age difference I would not be shocked if Gunnar accumulates more WAR over the course of his career.

This post is interesting.

It’s the kind of performance that makes you wonder if the O’s would have been better off calling Henderson up a month ago rather than yesterday. As of this moment, ZiPS projects the Orioles with a 14.5% chance of making the playoffs. Adding 0.7 wins, the amount ZiPS estimates he’d have added if he had been promoted after the All-Star break, doesn’t sound like a whole lot, but it’s enough to bump them to 19.1%.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I will say that given the age difference I would not be shocked if Gunnar accumulates more WAR over the course of his career.

Three years difference in age among rookies of similar performance points to something like 50% more career WAR.  Catcher-shortstop comps are tricky, who knows what's going to happen with defensive metrics for catchers or robot umps canceling out framing.  But If they were the same position I'd say Gunnar was likely to have 20-30 more WAR just based on age and current performance.  How much development do you think Gunnar will have between now and 2025 when he's Adley's current age?

But, don't discount the value of having an All Star level catcher through his prime.  It really only takes about 45 WAR to get a catcher on the Cooperstown shortlist. A shortstop probably needs 55 or 60.

• Upvote 2

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Three years difference in age among rookies of similar performance points to something like 50% more career WAR.  Catcher-shortstop comps are tricky, who knows what's going to happen with defensive metrics for catchers or robot umps canceling out framing.  But If they were the same position I'd say Gunnar was likely to have 20-30 more WAR just based on age and current performance.  How much development do you think Gunnar will have between now and 2025 when he's Adley's current age?

But, don't discount the value of having an All Star level catcher through his prime.  It really only takes about 45 WAR to get a catcher on the Cooperstown shortlist. A shortstop probably needs 55 or 60.

I wasn't planning on discounting the value of an All Star catcher through his prime but thanks for the warning.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Personally I don’t think Cowser is on that level.  Holliday could be but he’ll have to prove it.  

The strikeouts really bother me about Cowser but that swing, that power.  I don’t know.  I think he’s got a chance of being something special with the bat.  

• Upvote 1