Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

Not me.

I'd bet good money that Aumont wou'dve been drafted over Wieters had AM been in charge then.

Yep. MacPhail is obsessed with pitching...

I can almost guarantee next year's first rounder will be used on a pitcher even if someone like Ackley is available...

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It didn't take 10 years, but Friedman also inheritted a ton of young talent. The organization just had no direction.

True, but let's look at the players from the 2005 roster who were also on the 2008 roster:

Crawford

Gomes

Baldelli

Kazmir

That's it. That's an 84% change in roster.

These are the players they called up and were on the 08 roster:

Longoria (08)

BJ Upton (07 - first full season)

Sonnanstine (07)

Shields (06)

That comes to 8 players totally home grown (if you include Kazmir). They traded Lugo and Huff, signed Iwamora, traded for Jackson, picked up Pena, traded for Navarro, Garza and Bartlett.

Yes, they had more minor league talent, but they weren't afraid to trade it. I don't think the O's can do it realistically in two years, but I do think three is possible. It will just take the right moves and drafts.

How did HE get the enthusiasm up? Did AM ever come out and say "I think we are in the lead to get him!" "OMG GUYZ SERIOUSLY WE R SOOO CLOZE!!!"

The most excited AM ever got about it was "we are in it until we are told otherwise."

WOW, might as well just run into a movie theater and yell fire with that type of riot generating language.

It was US, we did it to ourselves. We relied on insiders info and internet rumors and we ran with it and formulated our own theories as to what was going on and came to our own conclusions.

We looked at the wrapped box under the Christmas tree. It was the same size, roughly, of a new Xbox so we got all excited for a new xbox. We convinced ourselves it was a new Xbox. We started talking about all the awesome games we would play, how getting online would be great. we dreamed about it, we couldn't wait.

But then we realized it was clothes and we blame our parents for "getting our hopes up".

AM even said, "don't pay attention to the rumors."

Bottom line is this: How many times do we here people say "we should just put our offer on the table and tell him 'take it or leave it.'?" That is essentially what MacPhail did. He put the offer on the table, that would have made Tex one of the highest paid players in the game and the highest paid Oriole of all time, told him we would be willing to move on it and get back to us.

MacPhail didn't want to get into a bidding war in the press, he didn't want Tex to use the Orioles like he used the Red Sox and Nationals to drive his price up. I think it is as simple as that.

What would have happened on this board if MacPhail and Angelos were the ones that flew out to Texas and then were sent home with their tail between their legs like the Sox were? How would the board have reacted to that I wonder?

A post can't be more on the money than this. An excellent requiem to the Teixeria saga.....Kudos!....:clap3:

How did HE get the enthusiasm up? Did AM ever come out and say "I think we are in the lead to get him!" "OMG GUYZ SERIOUSLY WE R SOOO CLOZE!!!"

The most excited AM ever got about it was "we are in it until we are told otherwise."

WOW, might as well just run into a movie theater and yell fire with that type of riot generating language.

It was US, we did it to ourselves. We relied on insiders info and internet rumors and we ran with it and formulated our own theories as to what was going on and came to our own conclusions.

We looked at the wrapped box under the Christmas tree. It was the same size, roughly, of a new Xbox so we got all excited for a new xbox. We convinced ourselves it was a new Xbox. We started talking about all the awesome games we would play, how getting online would be great. we dreamed about it, we couldn't wait.

But then we realized it was clothes and we blame our parents for "getting our hopes up".

AM even said, "don't pay attention to the rumors."

Bottom line is this: How many times do we here people say "we should just put our offer on the table and tell him 'take it or leave it.'?" That is essentially what MacPhail did. He put the offer on the table, that would have made Tex one of the highest paid players in the game and the highest paid Oriole of all time, told him we would be willing to move on it and get back to us.

MacPhail didn't want to get into a bidding war in the press, he didn't want Tex to use the Orioles like he used the Red Sox and Nationals to drive his price up. I think it is as simple as that.

What would have happened on this board if MacPhail and Angelos were the ones that flew out to Texas and then were sent home with their tail between their legs like the Sox were? How would the board have reacted to that I wonder?

Hold on there... I am not talking about during the negotiations. I am thinking along the lines of just after the season prior to negotiations beginning, I think he made several references about going after Tex. The point being is that there has been a buzz about Tex for years and MacPhail did nothing to "reset" our expectations if anything he played into a bit. I think that if his tone had been a little more pessimistic prior to the Tex sweepstakes, there would be a lot less disappointment. Thats all. I don't think he managed expectations well prior to the negotiations.

I personally thought he handled the negotiations well in that he wasn't going to get into a bidding war and if Boras had come back to him he could have potentially had the upper hand.

I am in agreement that the Rays and O's cases couldn't be more different..

but I took your comment that you will give Mcphail 2 years to reach the World Series as a bit contradictory.

You state how different the situations are' date=' but expect the same results in the same amount of time.[/quote']

I did? I didn't mean to claim that the rays of October 05 were all that different from the O's of June 07. It will take a little longer than 2 years for AM to put a WS caliber team on the field, but it ought not take too much longer.

Well unless Ackley can be moved to 2B, I sure hope he picks a pitcher.

A Mark Grace/Chase Utley type player at 1B is not a bad thing at all, and is better than we have in our system.

It's a lot better than taking a HS or college arm that could completely bust or get hurt on one pitch.

We need ML ready position players that can step in in the next 1-2 seasons, not pitchers...

We've got tons of pitchers, enough so that we almost have a safety net. There is no #1 pitcher to draft in 2009 except Strasburg as the rest are all #2-#3's and last time I checked we had a slew of #3 type pitchers.

We have very few position prospects that will be ready to take over in 2010-2011.

True, but let's look at the players from the 2005 roster who were also on the 2008 roster:

Crawford

Gomes

Baldelli

Kazmir

That's it. That's an 84% change in roster.

These are the players they called up and were on the 08 roster:

Longoria (08)

BJ Upton (07 - first full season)

Sonnanstine (07)

Shields (06)

That comes to 8 players totally home grown (if you include Kazmir). They traded Lugo and Huff, signed Iwamora, traded for Jackson, picked up Pena, traded for Navarro, Garza and Bartlett.

Yes, they had more minor league talent, but they weren't afraid to trade it. I don't think the O's can do it realistically in two years, but I do think three is possible. It will just take the right moves and drafts.

I agree with all of this. TAM was able to do what they did in large part because of the assets available to the FO (ML and MiL). They did a solid job, caught some breaks along the way and made the World Series 3 years into solid management.

BAL may have more money to spend (debatable, given the current economic state but not worth even discussing since none of us knows), but had decidedly less in the ML/MiL bank. I don't think there is any evidence that BAL is "afraid" to trade MiL talent.

Archived