Orioles arm strength by Statcast

Tony-OH

Does Hays wanna convert to pitching?  Maybe then we wouldn't have to watch him flail away at sliders all summer.

The one surprise here for me is Urias, I would have thought he would be closer to the top rather than closer to the bottom.  I don't think he has a hose but I always figured his arm was really good.  

I can see lots of problems with deriving much from the averages. Multiple factors dictate how much steam a guy might put on each throw and the outfielders get running starts.  If an infielder is throwing an upper 80's fastball to first base on a regular basis, I'd say that's pretty good. 

Urias may not have the best arm but from what I've seen he rarely short hops the first baseman.  He's accurate and I think his other fielding metrics support that he has plenty of arm for the position. 

This stuff is interesting to see, nonetheless. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Urias may not have the best arm but from what I've seen he rarely short hops the first baseman.  He's accurate and I think his other fielding metrics support that he has plenty of arm for the in addition to your points above

In addition to your points above, Urias appears to have a quick release on his throws from third.  Kind of like JJ Hardy - just seems to be really quick getting the throw off. I know that pop-time is measured for catchers, but is the release time for other fielders measured? And I have no clue what the delta would be for a fast/average/slow release time; maybe .2 seconds?  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I mentioned in another thread, I’m not sure I trust any measure of arm strength that says there are 132 players in MLB with an arm stronger than Manny Machado’s.   

What is the breakdown by position? Common sense says 2nd would be lower than SS. How does SS and 3rd rank? 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I can see lots of problems with deriving much from the averages. Multiple factors dictate how much steam a guy might put on each throw and the outfielders get running starts.  If an infielder is throwing an upper 80's fastball to first base on a regular basis, I'd say that's pretty good. 

Urias may not have the best arm but from what I've seen he rarely short hops the first baseman.  He's accurate and I think his other fielding metrics support that he has plenty of arm for the position. 

This stuff is interesting to see, nonetheless. 

I definitely agree that outfielders vs. infielders are in different positions when they make throws, their release points are different, etc.   The position by position comparisons are probably a lot more valid than comparing an outfielder to an infielder.   Even so, I’m a little dubious about this being a good measure of arm strength.  It’s better than nothing, I guess.  

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What is the breakdown by position? Common sense says 2nd would be lower than SS. How does SS and 3rd rank? 

Well, you can look for yourself, but Manny supposedly has the 11th strongest arm among 3B, at 86.4 mph compared to league average 85.7.   His max velocity throw off 92.4 is below such luminaries as Tyler Nevin at 93.3.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/arm-strength?year=2022&minThrows=100&pos=arm_3b&team=&sortColumn=max_arm_strength&sortDirection=desc.  Now, maybe Manny has lost some arm strength since he played fir us, but I have a hard time believing that Manny’s arm is in the middle tier of 3B.

Edited by Frobby

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well, you can look for yourself, but Manny supposedly has the 11th strongest arm among 3B, at 86.4 mph compared to league average 85.7.   His max velocity throw off 92.4 is below such luminaries as Tyler Nevin at 93.3.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/arm-strength?year=2022&minThrows=100&pos=arm_3b&team=&sortColumn=max_arm_strength&sortDirection=desc.  Now, maybe Manny has lost some arm strength since he played fir us, but I have a hard time believing that Manny’s arm is in the middle tier of 3B.

Thanks.

I was doing something while I typed. I should had just looked. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

So SS is only 0.2 mph harder than 3rd. About the same. 

In general I would think a SS has more opportunities to “let it go” than 3rd. 

I'm not sure about that.  Third basemen have more opportunity to plant their feet, not needing to get rid of the ball as quickly. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'm not sure about that.  Third basemen have more opportunity to plant their feet, not needing to get rid of the ball as quickly. 

Yeah but you can look at that both ways with what you said in the second part. There is more urgency at SS, turning two and the throw from hole. 

That said they can take their time on a smash and fire. 

Interesting topic.